What's your best biking moment

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: What's your best biking moment

Post by Blade »

Totally agree Kiwikrasher. My best moments ever in life are not biking or anything special just ordinary family moments that made me feel happy and are momentsni cherish and replay in my mind.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I was kidding, obviously.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

The Isle of man trips have probably been my favourite moments.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Think I need to get out more often on the bike!!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That's true regardless.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Really fancy doing a Euro trip. In the next couple weeks I'm hoping to be riding in Oz down the coast in next couple weeks with a mate guessing that will be pretty cool. Me mate has got a bike for me all ready. Think this will throw up some good experiences
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I might do a Euro trip in 2016. Once I've scratched the Euro track day itch.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

It's a biking experience not to be missed.

Generally lots of space, with a lot less cars and a different attitude to bikers from the locals.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote:Really fancy doing a Euro trip. In the next couple weeks I'm hoping to be riding in Oz down the coast in next couple weeks with a mate guessing that will be pretty cool. Me mate has got a bike for me all ready. Think this will throw up some good experiences
Where are you going in Oz? If you're doing east coast coastal roads be very careful with speeding. Heaps of fixed cameras and coppers. If you get to Victoria, the coppers there are nazis towards bikes. Some of the best biking roads are inland.

Check out the Oxley highway if you get a chance.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I'm off to Perth to see a mate so this time the west (still unsure if he's got the time off to be able to do the trip but provisionally it's been granted) - last time he managed to get a day off and that was spent writing reports for clients and having phone calls so we got to see what happens really!

He says there are very good roads there and he has mentioned the police, he says he tends to ride more quiet roads when he can but he too has said the police are cunning barstards. They use camo nets over cameras at the side of the road just to catch you. Screw that I'll ride very carefully!
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote:I'm off to Perth to see a mate so this time the west (still unsure if he's got the time off to be able to do the trip but provisionally it's been granted) - last time he managed to get a day off and that was spent writing reports for clients and having phone calls so we got to see what happens really!

He says there are very good roads there and he has mentioned the police, he says he tends to ride more quiet roads when he can but he too has said the police are cunning barstards. They use camo nets over cameras at the side of the road just to catch you. Screw that I'll ride very carefully!
Yep, that's how the Vic coppers behave too, it was like dodging land mines riding thru to Phillip Isl for the GP (few years back). They even had a mobile camera 2m on the Vic side of the border back into NSW. As soon as we passed it, it was down two cogs and nailed it all the way to the coast (happy)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Haha I don't think I'd be pinning it been put off in all honesty don't fancy getting pulled then getting points. 2 question though do they just pull bikers for no reason and also is there a guideline of speeding eg over here I hear the rumour that your allowed 10% +2 over the signed limit before being pulled at certain times. Eg 30mph limit and your allowed 35mph before technically speeding. (Please correct if I'm wrong here on the British side as I believe this is correct?)
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote:Haha I don't think I'd be pinning it been put off in all honesty don't fancy getting pulled then getting points. 2 question though do they just pull bikers for no reason and also is there a guideline of speeding eg over here I hear the rumour that your allowed 10% +2 over the signed limit before being pulled at certain times. Eg 30mph limit and your allowed 35mph before technically speeding. (Please correct if I'm wrong here on the British side as I believe this is correct?)
I know what you're talking about as NZ has the same philosophy, but unfortunately Oz doesn't run that game. You can, and I have heard of it, be booked for 2 Kms over. If you go for a ride, just follow your mates lead, it's not as bad as it sounds. I haven't been on the road for a few years on the bike, but when I was, residential/school areas was the only place I did the limit and in 3 yrs I didn't get booked. The one ticket I have had here was in the car, undercover car got me on my way to night shift, passing a truck at about 30 km over. Got done for 14 km over. He took his reading too soon, he even told me he had been tempted to go for a second one but he was worried he wouldn't catch up to me (smirk)
wazza675
Your Bike: '06 TRiumph Daytona 675

Post by wazza675 »

I only ride track now, and one of the reasons was the over-policing and bias towards pulling over bikes which are easy to target as they're a minority. I got pulled over 10:1 on the bike Vs car.

In Vic there are fixed cameras in the tunnels and on majors roads/highways/tollways. There are red light cameras at intersections that double as speed cameras (called road safety cameras). Then there are the mobile cameras and of course the Plod and their hair dryers.
As a general rule, cameras can do you for as little as 1kph over the limit. In practice, they allow 2kph for equipment error, although they'll tell you they are precise. As for the Plod, they can be swayed by your attitude as much as anything else.
Also be aware in Vic they have hoon laws whereby if you're 25kph over the limit or participating in antisocial behavior like burnouts, they can impound your vehicle for 30 days and you're also responsible for storage and release costs on top of your fines.

Tassie is awesome and a little more relaxed. They're well aware that they make a good dollar out of the car/bike tourist trade.

As for my best biking monents -
2002 I did a 3 week, 7000km trip around both the North and South islands of NZ.

On track I remember gradually gaining on and passing a chick on a CBR600 (on my 675). She was a racer and had great lines... and was even better to watch without her helmet and leathers on - she was stunning. I even looked up the team's website for another look after the day had wrapped up!!
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

That wasn't Amiee O'Mara was it Wazza?
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

Dunno
About 4 years ago at a guess at Winton.
Long dark hair...

Maybe I'll google it and see what I remember.

Bit of a chauvinistic male ego trip beating a girl but fun none the less.
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

Nup
Not her.
Definitely long black or very dark hair on a CBR600.
Had it bookmarked but deleted it as the missus wouldn't be too impressed! !
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thanks guys I'll bare all this information in mind. I will definitely be looking around for anything out of place and screw overtaking any cars in case they are undercover plod. Over here I usually look for the most common cars that are used by old bill - 3 series with tints or anything made by GM with tints the old bill love these cars!!

Thanks again for the information am looking forward to it [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

You'll enjoy yourself Rossgo regardless, Perth is a great city. I may even be over that way ( do all my company training over there) and if I am we'll have to catch up for a beer or three
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

Plod in Victoria generally use current or recent model Holden Commodores (VE or VF) of Ford Falcons (FG). Camera cars tend to be SUVs like Holden Captivas or similar. Traffic Operation Group (TOG) or Traffic Management Unit (TMU - not sure what name they currently use!!) tend to use SS Commodores or XR8 Falcons (V8s) with dark tinted windows, although you can often see lights on the dash.... but by that time you're gone!!