Hands free Phones in cars

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Hands free Phones in cars

Post by Frankie »

So all I have listened to today with the news is car phones, people using phones in cars, and the fact they want to ban this use totally now, i think it goes deeper than this, I nearly plowed down some stupid bint who was deep in conversation and stepped right out in front of me!!! I was that shocked I just looked at her.... (with a glare) not shout and jump on the horn.....what she do, looked up, and gestured with her hand, a feeble sorry type wave!!!! FFS....... (facepalm) :@

Even cyclist i have seen on phones, weaving all over the place.... Cars, trucks, vans, are worse just because of the damage they can cause, and all I see now is people wandering all over the lanes, slowing down, speeding up (in an erratic way) making driving around them very unsafe, and sure as eggs is eggs they are on the phone or texting..... Trouble is there are alot of people who use this in a way not to endanger life and with respect to those around. Its not the tech its the daft buggers who really have no idea how to be a decent human with respect for others around them, lets call them selfish twats for short, which there seems to be lots more out there than ever!
I for one do not text in the car while moving, even my calls are cut short and i never get into technical calls, i just say I will speak to these people later.

I have to say I do this, because I know I can go into overdrive, as so many roads and routes I know that well, that i have finished calls in the past, where I dont even remember the actual journey in the detail I would have if not on the phone, for that reason i dont yak for ages on highly technical stuff, or anything that really requires that extra level of concentration, because I know i have not had 100% concentration on the task at hand, (driving)
I dont deal with emails either, but like me so many others are sensible in the use of these things. So how do you stop the twats and not the others, Well I dont see it myself, it will be a blanket ban if it comes in and people like me who use it safely will not do it, while the twats who obviously dont give a shit will do it anyway. !!!!

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember having to stop at a phone box at the end of the day, calling my office, using a special code number on a card (sort of credit thing) and asking if I have any messages LOL...... I dont really want to go back to that life again, stinky old phones boxes, balancing all my docs on a knee and phone box shelf....... :( But if humans are not capable to do the right thing, possibly that is an answer, with all the high tech on road today, i am sure they could cut the signal on these routes and phones wont work by default, except emergency numbers which seem to work when you have no signal regardless.... that'l stop em!!!...... and if they need to make an urgent call or email, text, whatever they can stop at dedicated stop points which have service :) Sorted.... Your welcome (handshake) (hi) 8)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Hands free Phones in cars

Post by Kwacky »

You can be done for driving without due care and attention if you're using hands free.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

even if you removed the tech equation how do you stop people eating a bowl of cereal , reading a book/newspaper/map , engaging in sexual activity alone and not, applying make-up or turning around to berate the kids on the back seat or the myriad of other things people do when being a f*ckwit and driving a car ? I know you can be charged for driving without due care and attention if you are caught doing these things but it doesn't seem to deter people .
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Totally agree, I got of track a little, the point being, this is just one thing they are focusing on... when its not the thing! its the bloody people doing it.....
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Would you have to be doing more than that to be cited....weaving, hitting the rumble-strip/cat's-eyes, etc. ??
I mean, you could be on a hands-free phone, or singing along to Linkin' Park on the radio...both would look the same from outside the car, yet only one would be an offense, the other merely offensive...??
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

People do seem to pay more attention when they see a police vehicle so obviously the fewer police that are out and about ,even if not actively engaged in traffic policing ,has a negative effect on the general standards and what people think they can get away with .
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

You don't need a phone to be distracted.

The BMW 520 I've been given as a loan car is dripping with tech to distract you. There is the huge touch screen media display with apps, and the car somewhere has an internet connection as things like the weather radar and traffic are updated in real time. You also have a raft of in car stats and settings.

I would also like to know how sensible they are going to be. How about passengers using phones, and drivers using tablets/laptops (I've seen then being used)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41

Post by D41 »

D6Nutz wrote: I would also like to know how sensible they are going to be. How about passengers using phones, and drivers using tablets/laptops (I've seen then being used)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Nothing that requires driver interaction? Or something along those lines.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

I'm useless with a phone and only ever use it for emergencies ..anywhere.

Whats app is on my PC as I can see it better , same as txt so never use it... I always call from my landline if I have to .

I have just got a new car and that's got gadgets and gizmos I'll never use...I can see what the weathers doing from looking out the window and how hot or cold it is .Driving at night is virtually nil so automatic headlights are a bit pointless

I very rarely take passengers and finally set the radio to R5 which never changes .. in fact I probably only use the car 2 or 3 times a week

I think I prefer my first mini which had a peg to hold the choke open
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Driverless cars. I reckon ten years max before they are the norm or at leAst human control is severely restricted.

Humans cannot be trusted to be in control of a vehicle.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:Driverless cars. I reckon ten years max before they are the norm or at least human control is severely restricted.

(many) Humans cannot be trusted to be in control of a vehicle.
+1
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Except they are going to rely on high powered telecommunication radiation, which I’d put money on is going to cause its own health epidemic
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41

Post by D41 »

duke63 wrote:Driverless cars. I reckon ten years max before they are the norm or at leAst human control is severely restricted.

Humans cannot be trusted to be in control of a vehicle.
I'll take that bet!!

People have been driving for over a hundred years and suddenly because there's another option that may or may not be viable, we can't be trusted anymore??
I don't bloody think so!! :D
Approximately 50% of fatal vehicle accident victims are in the under-25 demographic....these are not the people that are going to be shelling out top-$$$$ on a brand-new car. Especially young males, who make up the majority of car drivers in that age group (and a huge majority of single vehicle accident stats).
My point is that the people who will benefit the most from driverless cars, are also the ones who are the least likely to buy them.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I agree with you to a point, D41 (y)

It will go driverless eventually but in the grand scheme of things I don't believe road safety is a big problem and attention should be paid else where. Namely the environment we're doing incredibly well to destroy
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

kiwikrasher wrote:Except they are going to rely on high powered telecommunication radiation, which I’d put money on is going to cause its own health epidemic
(wait) Isn't 5g going to do that to all of us anyway.?

I dream a lot when I sleep. I've always used my sleep time to "problem solve", and my dreaming has long been a part of that process. To the point that I often have dreams that clarify issues that I wasn't even consciously aware were concerning me.

A few weeks ago I had a very vivid & involved dream about Zombie Films (a genre that I generally dislike).
In my dream I "understood" that the fascination with this film type was inherent in society as a precursor to an upcoming event. :^ 7
However I had identified that the causation for the zombie manifestation was not some sudden virulent epidemic. Rather it was a natural, and gradual, result of addiction to tablets & the EMR that they operated on. It had retrospective aspects that had me discussing with someone how all the clues were there, looking back, if we had only realised....
Anyway my dream was mainly along the lines of me trying to persuade major film companies to allow me to produce a new version of a Zombie film that illustrated this variation. However I couldn't get anyone to take it up, & I did some investigation into why.: The reason turned out to be that the major media companies were keen to propagate this, as the outcome was an utterly malleable & controllable population which was exactly what their owners desired.,
When I threatened to expose them & warn everyone myself, they pointed out that no one would listen to me as they held all the mass communication cards..
Etc etc etc etc............

There was lots (& lots & lots (blush) ) more detail & aspect that eludes me, but I expect I've given you more than enough to confirm your current misgivings of my sanity & possibly some good basis for partitioning to have me sectioned.

Sleep well.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I want what you’re having!!!!

And 5G was EMR pollution I was referring too in fact, and no doubt 6G
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41

Post by D41 »

That reminds me, I need to put aluminum foil on my shopping list.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

kiwikrasher wrote:I want what you’re having!!!!
No artificial assistance, so what you're indicating a desire for is a version of my dubious psyche. That would not be a progressive change for you mate. (shake)
D41 wrote:That reminds me, I need to put aluminum foil on my shopping list.
aluminium ;)
Nope.: Perhaps try getting some nice strong cheese as a nightcap instead.?
D41

Post by D41 »

We'll settle on "tin" and split the difference.

|(
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Driverless cars are already available and the technology that makes them work is being fitted to many cars now.

Anyone who thinks they won’t become the next thing is deluding themselves. Too many vehicles on the road and insurance costs will make it so.