Insurance again, but for the car

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Insurance again, but for the car

Post by T.C. »

You may recall back in early June I told the story of how some idiot had banged my car which was parjked outside my house whilst he was reversing into a parking space.

20 years living here, never had an issue until this idiot decided that he would show us all how not to park.

Anyway, I did not claim because the criteria did not fit the definition of an accident and the scuff mark polished out, but idiot in his panic phoned his insurance company (there was quite a bit of damage to his car mind) which is owned by my insurance company who in turn phoned me and I had to go through everything chapter and verse.

I did make it quite clear it was not my intention to claim as there was nothing to claim for, but I did add a footnote that if it affected my premiums, then I would be making a claim to recover my increase in premiums as it was unreasonable to regard me as an increased risk when I was not in the car and the car was parked and stationary at the time.

Anyway, yesterday, insurance renewal comes through.

I have a multi car policy for mine and the Mrs car and surprise surprise, the premium had increased by nearly £200 on last years policy.

So, a quick shop around online using the comparison sites and I found several quoting cheaper than I paid last year, so I phoned my insurance to let them know that I would not be renewing and why I would not be renewing and guess what?.....

They matched the new quotes meaning that to renew the insurance for both cars is cheaper this year than last with enhanced features included in the cover.

As far as I am concerned, a result as it means I do not have to mess around getting proof of no claims, setting up new direct debits and so on.

In the same post was my renewal for Green Flag, They had increased the annual premium by £30.

So again, a quick shop around and as a new customer I could get the same level of cover £40 cheaper.

So another phone call with the new quote in front of me and guess what? "Oh we will match that!"

So why not do it in the first place? I asked.

It is all computer generated was the reply.

Load of B@llocks thoght I, but hey ho, another saving made and no need to mess around with changing anything.

I hate insurance companies :@
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Insurance again, but for the car

Post by Kwacky »

They rely on people automatically renewing. It's a scam. They've been criticised for it in the past but nothing has changed.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

If the law made us such that auto renewals were not allowed, it would make firms work so much harder to business.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

You don't think that would put more uninsured drivers out on the road??
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

D41 wrote:You don't think that would put more uninsured drivers out on the road??

It's backfired. We've now got at least 1m uninsured drivers on the road.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Couldn't agree more T.C. makes me really angry with insurance companies. They just want you to automatically renew, but I never do I'll always be using comparison sites before renewal.

Although insurance has risen to way above what it really should be. I don't think I'd be driving if I was to start now, I feel fairly fortunate I started 14 years back

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

Rossgo wrote:
Although insurance has risen to way above what it really should be. I don't think I'd be driving if I was to start now, I feel fairly fortunate I started 14 years back
I am with you on that.

When I passed my test for the bike in 1976, my first full licence bike was a Suzuki GT380 triple (I had been riding a range of 250 two strokes as a learner)

I was 17, and I have just found the invoice for my first insurance policy as a full licence holder..........

I paid the massive sum of £7 TPF&T

That was a strong reality check.

I thought that was a kings ransom even back them, but looking back, it makes me glad in many ways that I am at the end of my riding career rather than just starting out.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

but in 1976 you could get 200 fags for £7 today it'll cost you £100
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

Jack wrote:but in 1976 you could get 200 fags for £7 today it'll cost you £100
A packet of 10 number 6 used to cost 12.5p.

Mind they were so small it was one puff and they were gone. :D ;)