Quickshifters

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Quickshifters

Post by Blade »

Thought I would start a topic on them as I'm thinking of getting one for the ten.

So what do people know ? Who has one ? What do you think of them ? Which brand do you recommend ?

HM Quickshifters have a very good reputation and are apparently approved by HRC but a lot of people I have spoke to today who are in the trade or part of the race paddock were recommending the Translogic IS4 over the HM alternative.

I know Translogic are OEM suppliers for Triumph and MV Agusta and I have to say out of the 3 bikes I have test rode with a QS (BMW S1000RR ,Aprilla RSV4 & Triumph 675) the Triumph QS was by far the smoothest shifter and the only one which would seem to operate through a wide part of the rev range.
Blade

Re: Quickshifters

Post by Blade »

In reply to my own post :? just found this info which is a good read but obviously biased to a particular brand.

http://hmquickshifter.com.au/media/wysi ... t-2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

I've never been loyal to certain manufacturer for a QS, most of mine have been factory fitted on new bikes TBH. But I think they are a brilliant bit of kit I may even go down this route with the multi eventually.
I had a dynojet one fitted on the first track bike which worked perfect, I have fitted a cheaper version to the blade only so I didn't spend too much on it as I need the forks doing soon.
Do you need extra kit to be able to use the HM one or is it stand alone like the translogic ?
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

What did the PB tester fit to his long term ZX10, Blade?
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

From what i know a quick shifter is an rod with a sensor that when its move to a certain position it cuts the coils so the bike will not fire taking the load off the gearbox. Then allowing the gear lever to be moved up and the next gear selected when the pressure is released and the sensor picks up that point It then lets the bike fire again this all happens very quickly.
But what im trying to say is im not sure what other brands would do any better ??

If it were me i would choose the one you get the best deal/support with if anything goes wrong with it.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

duke63 wrote:What did the PB tester fit to his long term ZX10, Blade?
Bazza unit i think
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:What did the PB tester fit to his long term ZX10, Blade?
Bazza qs4 but he told me its just OK and supply chain was bad.

I have emailed him for a few things. Top bloke and can't help enough.
Blade

Post by Blade »

kingfixer wrote:I've never been loyal to certain manufacturer for a QS, most of mine have been factory fitted on new bikes TBH. But I think they are a brilliant bit of kit I may even go down this route with the multi eventually.
I had a dynojet one fitted on the first track bike which worked perfect, I have fitted a cheaper version to the blade only so I didn't spend too much on it as I need the forks doing soon.
Do you need extra kit to be able to use the HM one or is it stand alone like the translogic ?
Both HM and translogic are stand alone Mick.

Just connect into the coils and an earth lead and that's basically it.
Blade

Post by Blade »

The difference is mainly some are pressure switch and some are strain gauge, although most decent ones are now strain gauge. You then have kill and sensitivity adjustment, seamless shifting where they auto adjust kill time when they detect gear engaged, setting by gear on advance models. Although top models are similar tech its just who's software is slickest and most reliable I guess.
edd1e
Your Bike: Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Post by edd1e »

Always had factory fitted ones but would never go back to a bike without one. Awesome things.
wazza675
Your Bike: '06 TRiumph Daytona 675

Post by wazza675 »

I have just fitted a Starlane unit to my '06 675. It was second hand (and the older model) but the new model now comes with a function that allows you to set a base RPM level above which it operates.

The Starlane is completely different technology to others I've seen. There is a sensor that fits on the bolt that holds the gear actuator to the gearbox spline (and is therefore NOT subjected to any force) - all other unit's I've seen have the unit in the shift rod. It also works in either direction or both, it has adjustable sensitivity and kill time - you just adjust settings accordingly. I have a slipper clutch fitted, so in theory I guess it will work in either direction.

I have seen both Dynojet and Triumph OEM units (made by HM I think) fail. Both units snapped where they screw into the shift rod. It's a very easy way to ruin your day out, and the whole unit has to be replaced as well, as I've not seen them repaired.

The Starlane unit is stand-alone, which is why I fitted it to my first gen 675. Obviously second gen Daytonas, Street Rs and now the new models have all the electrics included for a bolt unit already built into the loom and electronics package.

When I fit the unit, the only real issue I had was deciphering the instructions. They're a generic unit, so you don't get model specific instructions. In the end, I had to spend time going through the wiring diagram, and then cut and soldered the trigger wires into the loom near the common coil feed (or you can use the injector wires). That being said, I bought the unit off a guy who used it on an R6, and they're just as adaptable to most other bikes or cylinder configurations as well.

If you want a plug-n-play unit, the Cordoma has plugs for the injectors I believe but they're model specific. You can however swap between bikes with a separate loom - I guess they're a common unit with an adaptable loom for each bike.