Thomas Cook collapse

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Thomas Cook collapse

Post by duke63 »

My father spent his whole life working for the Company.

It a sad day but i guess the industry has changed so much that this sort of Company no longer has any place in the system.

Its been mis-managed for years, even back yo when they retired my father and all the senior staff early to save money and with it went all the experience and knowledge they had. Its changed ownership numerous time since with no one having any idea of what to do with it.

My mum is still reliant on the pension she receives from them but fortunately it appears the pensions fund is safe for now.

One of the sticking points with the takeover that collapsed was that the new owners didn't want to pay into the pension fund to keep it in surplus as demanded by the trustees of the fund. Another kick in the nuts for staff.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Thomas Cook collapse

Post by C00kiemonster »

Very sad. A big collapse too.

As you say, a company is only as good as the people running it and this constant need to make money by selling companies now has probably been it's demise.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Like you say, badly managed. They were big enough to control the market but failed to do it.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Haven't heard this yet. So it has gone bust today then?

What's happening to all the paid holidays people have booked for the future?

My misses had to fill out loads of forms from the bank and she got full refund when Low Cost Holidays folded.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Thomas Cook is ATOL protected so everyone who has paid for a holiday but not been will get their money back. You can also get your money back from your credit or debit card if you paid that way.

They went pop at midnight I think. There's a plan to get people home being put into place.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Jeez. I think we all know someone who is away at the moment with Thomas Cook holidays - I know someone in Tunisia atm. But in the words of Bono - 'thank god its them instead of youuuuuu'. Never a truer word spoken!

D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Still kind of a dick-move by Bono, don't you think?? :D

Little leprechaun tw@t. (rolf)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

personally I don't think it was a dick move by him. Never a truer word spoken really

D41

Post by D41 »

Oh really??
Then you probably don't remember him & Bob Geldof flying over Africa in a helicopter looking down at all the starving people "Letting Them Know It's Christmas Time Again!"
Just rub it in, you b@$tards. Probably a frickin' Muslim country too.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D41 wrote:Oh really??
Then you probably don't remember him & Bob Geldof flying over Africa in a helicopter looking down at all the starving people "Letting Them Know It's Christmas Time Again!"
Just rub it in, you b@$tards. Probably a frickin' Muslim country too.
D that's made me chuckle ImageImageImage

duke63

Post by duke63 »

Amazing how everyone seems worried about losing their holidays rather than the 9000 or so who have lost their jobs.
D41

Post by D41 »

Duke, if what I'm reading on the web is correct, there's over 600,000 people stranded overseas because of this collapse, including around 150,000 Britons.

Who should the public be worried about here...the half~million+ people who are now stuck in foreign countries, or the @9000 Thomas Cook workers who put them there??
duke63

Post by duke63 »

They are on holiday and will get home.

The 9000 who have lost their jobs, that is permanent. They will nearly all be looking at a complete change of career too. The workers are not responsible for the collapse of that Company, that is the fault of the bosses.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

In good news I believe Virgin Travel and another travel operator are advertising specifically for ex Thomas Cook employees to apply for jobs.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Blade wrote:In good news I believe Virgin Travel and another travel operator are advertising specifically for ex Thomas Cook employees to apply for jobs.
I've seen a couple of those types of posts recently. Fair play.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

That's not a fair advertisement then to be honest if only TC people can apply for it. Let's get it out there right now this country is being divided on everything. So therefore I make massive judgements on something like that. They shouldn't be allowed to be advertising for only a certain person. It should be opened up to all.

Not that I would want to do the job, f%^(king customers are the worst I'm just be awkward like everyone else in this country because apparently it's my right to be like this.

D41

Post by D41 »

Virgin is offering opportunities for TC cabin crew with previous flight experience. GWR is offering to help out, the Govt. is offering support, etc.
And this is a bad thing, Ross??

I'm sure they could advertise jobs "for all", but at the end of the day it's still up to them who they hire, and who're they going to go for...someone from within the industry, or some so&so from the Job Centre??
Blade

Post by Blade »

Rossgo wrote:That's not a fair advertisement then to be honest if only TC people can apply for it. Let's get it out there right now this country is being divided on everything. So therefore I make massive judgements on something like that. They shouldn't be allowed to be advertising for only a certain person. It should be opened up to all.

Not that I would want to do the job, f%^(king customers are the worst Image I'm just be awkward like everyone else in this country because apparently it's my right to be like this.

That's harsh imo Rossgo. These people have lost their jobs through poor and greedy management. They have skills and experiencr that other employers could benefit from and imo its harsh to kick someone when there down.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No one else is being prevented from applying for those jobs. But you're going to face an uphill struggle if someone from TC is applying and you've got no experience.
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:They are on holiday and will get home.

The 9000 who have lost their jobs, that is permanent. They will nearly all be looking at a complete change of career too. The workers are not responsible for the collapse of that Company, that is the fault of the bosses.
Duke alot of these people on holiday are being forcibly kicked out of their accommodation which they have paid for in fully as the hotels never got those funds from TC (std to pay months in arrears I believe). Hardly a holiday more a bloody stressful nightmare.

People who have paid and are atol protected are being told they cant apply for a refund till 30th sept and it will take 2 months from then. One couple on the news had paid £7000 for a honeymoon to the Maldives sadly something they cant even consider booking now for months after the wedding. Not a good start to a married life.

Lots of victims in this event both customers and employees and my feeling and sympathy goes out to them all.