Night time speed cameras

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Night time speed cameras

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... s-11316042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oooo, you cunning buggers
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: Night time speed cameras

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... s-11316042

Oooo, you cunning buggers
Yeah, and I like this comment
The safety camera vans can also be used to enforce mobile phone offences, as well as catching drivers who are not wearing a seat belt - both of which also carry penalty points and a fine.
Nice they can catch other offences too, but there seems to be quite the emphasis on points and a fine rather than safety. Too cynical?
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I can't see how they can detect if you are using a mobile phone or not wearing a seatbelt , I can't even see the driver in the image shown

Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Theres the look of a man who loves his job........

pr!ck
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Wa €k€rs. You can tell Christmas is fast approaching and they need their Christmas party.

This is what angers me about the old bill. Just the other day there were witnesses of animal cruelty from pikeys so you would expect them to get nicked and their caravans impounded for illegal site...they were talking to them with the utmost respect and the pikeys are still there still with horses.

Messed up world we have. I don't care if someone is doing 100MPH at night when the roads are quiet all I do is move out the way.

Personally we should adopt a nighttime speed limit on the motorways and main A roads. As long as you aren't doing over 150MPH then it's fine. Most people can't even do that so won't affect the large majority of people. In addition we should up the national speed limits as most people cruise at 80 or 90 anyway so what's the problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Oh...okay.

So I'm out doing 150mph.....in the dark(!!!!!)....and I come up on someone doing 70mph passing/overtaking someone else doing 68mph.

Sounds like a plan...../
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Not really a bad thing when you think about how big the motorway is. 3 to 4 lanes wide. Yesterday I was on the motorway with around 5 other people and one guy came buzzing past us, no-one was hurt I didn't see a problem with it he came up in the fast lane and was gone. Personally didn't see it as a bad thing. If it was at 6PM when everyone else was about then there's a problem in my opinion. Do it from 10PM or something then it will only be a handful of people on the motorways

Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Space and time.

The same people who moan about people doing 31 in a 30 zone do 570mph on a plane and don't even register the speed.

Space and time to react. Speed is relevant to the circumstances it's applied in otherwise it's just a number (shocked)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rossgo wrote:Not really a bad thing when you think about how big the motorway is. 3 to 4 lanes wide. Yesterday I was on the motorway with around 5 other people and one guy came buzzing past us, no-one was hurt I didn't see a problem with it he came up in the fast lane and was gone. Personally didn't see it as a bad thing. If it was at 6PM when everyone else was about then there's a problem in my opinion. Do it from 10PM or something then it will only be a handful of people on the motorways

Most of the fatal and serious accidents I deal with are when it's dark and excessive speed is a factor in about 95% of them.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:
Rossgo wrote:Not really a bad thing when you think about how big the motorway is. 3 to 4 lanes wide. Yesterday I was on the motorway with around 5 other people and one guy came buzzing past us, no-one was hurt I didn't see a problem with it he came up in the fast lane and was gone. Personally didn't see it as a bad thing. If it was at 6PM when everyone else was about then there's a problem in my opinion. Do it from 10PM or something then it will only be a handful of people on the motorways

Most of the fatal and serious accidents I deal with are when it's dark and excessive speed is a factor in about 95% of them.
But is that motorway or all different types of road. Motorways are a one way system. How can people get it so wrong!! I still stick to having a higher speed limit, most people do 80 to 90 and it works

D41

Post by D41 »

Ross....they have 3-4 lanes per direction because they have 3-4 times the volume of traffic.....Travelling at high speed..!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Last multiple fatal was on a motorway. At anything over 50mph you're struggling to steer and stop. Vehicles end up all over the place and you get stopped vehicles being used as crash barriers. It's not pretty. All it takes it one vehicle to switch lanes quickly and without warning and the domino effect kicks in. Humans are not very good behind the wheel.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I can understand that it takes only a spilt second to loose control if forced too, but the majority of the time we don't have to do a sharp turn and when the traffic is light I personally don't see an issue. Main A roads and Motorways are just straight lines. I'm not saying the motorways should become a drag strip and you must push the car to a certain speed but when most people are doing well over the speed limit anyway I don't see an issue with that and it shouldn't be illegal just have it under control, have some rules in place to monitor it like times.
Like I have said when it's 6PM and everyone is trying to get home I agree it should be 70 because most of the time you cant even get to that speed and you get many morons switching lanes without indication or undertaking people etc.
But when No one else is on the road, to me I think there shouldn't be an upper limit

But these are my personal opinions. Maybe we need to all go through a night tome driving test as well to help. Maybe we should all be made to go through a yesrs training program instead of (whatever the average is maybe 20hours worth of driving before test?) To go through lots of different weather conditions etc.

Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Kwacky wrote: All it takes it one vehicle to switch lanes quickly and without warning and the domino effect kicks in. Humans are not very good behind the wheel.
The variance in driving ability is colossal in this country, the summer school holidays are the time in which that scale of ability is most obvious.
That holiday more than any other time of year shows the differences between drivers on our roads, there are the year round drivers (reps/salesmen/van/delivery) that are usually fairly good and at the other end you have the mummy cars on day trips to theme parks or the seaside that only do the school/shopping run normally, they are without doubt the worst and impossible to predict what they'll do next.

I'm not sure what the answer is, however what I do know is that when I drive in Europe the standard of driving there is significantly better than here in the UK, perhaps we need to bring our standard up, more police spot-checking poor driving of any sort may be the answer, but with driverless cars it seems the occupant will still be responsible. However what the designers/implementers have forgotten is that driving requires practice to be any good at, which is no good if you've been a passenger for 6 months then need your reflexes to be razor sharp because of a computer glitch.

As I said earlier I'm not sure what the answer is, but driverless is not the cure-all it's being touted as.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Testing every 5 years, but we know that's not going to happen.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Deegee wrote: but with driverless cars it seems the occupant will still be responsible
how can you be responsible from a legal standpoint if you don't have complete control of the vehicle from the outset , if I were a passenger in a taxi or a bus or even a private motor vehicle I could not ( barring extreme circumstances/behaviour from me) be held responsible for an accident ?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Problem is that's not how it'll work out, we already know that in the short term it'll be considered a driving "aid" in much the same way as a cruise control, and you'll be expected to step in at any point if the system fails or if it misses something and an intervention is needed. It'll be your vehicle and your legal responsibility, sad but true, someone has to be held responsible for any issues and you can bet it won't be the car or system manufacturers.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The person deemed to be in control will be held responsible even if it's been workmaster automated. Don't get caught up in feeling you're being held to account, it's the same as it is now. It's not you paying, it's your insurers.
D41

Post by D41 »

Rossgo wrote: But when No one else is on the road, to me I think there shouldn't be an upper limit
That's EXACTLY why there should be a limit Ross, because otherwise before you know it, you'd be out there by yourself, and getting into all sorts of trouble, and then end up laying in the middle of the road, all spread-eagled & forlorn & injured, thinking "Me bike, me bike!!"
So then you're hurt and unable to work....you'll be broke, so your lass will prolly dump you, even homeless people will laugh and say "I wouldn't want to be in Ross' shoes...not that he owns any, LOLZ" etc.

....After that, it'll only get worse...../