Tesco

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Tesco

Post by Kwacky »

What a bunch of cockknobblers.

17 years ago they started buying a lot of land and houses near where I live. It's a nice site, main road one side, parkland and river on the other.

They demolished loads of houses, Took down a social club and indoor OAP bowling and community centre and then sealed off a road.

At present there's a massive site with a few very tall mounds of rubble on.

The plan was to build a super store with local amenities and services. So it wasn't just a supermarket but there would be other services on the site as well.

They've dragged their feet for years. The locals have not been impressed. In the meantime Lidl have come in and bought a gym (the one I used) about 200 yards away from the Tesco site and they intend to demolish the 10 Pin Bowling Alley and the only gym for about 3 miles. The Council allowed it because Tesco hadn't built their supermarket.

A few years before, the Council rejected an Asda application on an old disused office site about half a mile away because Tesco objected!

At meeting in January Tesco said they would be continuing with preparing the infrastructure over the next few weeks, intending to spend another £1.4 million on the site before their year end (March 31st). Actual building cannot start until final bits of planning permission are cleared by the council (this includes road alteration). They are hoping that permission will be finalised by early March. Councillors who were present did not comment on this proposed date. Tesco representatives gave a brief presentation which was followed by a 1 hour 15 minute question and answer session. There were 109 members of the public present at the meeting.

Today Tesco have announced that the two sites they own are now up for sale!

FFS, The area has lacked development and regeneration for years because no-one knew what Tesco intended to do.

How do large companies get away with this shit?
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: Tesco

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:...How do large companies get away with this shit?
:? Because they can afford the best Lawyers, & get away with whatever "shit" they want by playing the system.?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I don't think the lawyers have been needed to show their faces with this one. The Council jumped into bed with Tesco as soon as Tesco said they would spend some money doing up the area around the store.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:I don't think the lawyers have been needed to show their faces with this one. The Council jumped into bed with Tesco as soon as Tesco said they would spend some money doing up the area around the store.
They did the same for many years to Meteor Ford in Moseley - we were getting a swanky new doctors surgery, parking and a small tesco there too. Did it happen? Did it hell.

I suppose you can only hope it becomes residential if it's sold? You've got enough supermarkets there now.

Ideally for you with a new gym? It would be ironic mind you.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The hope is that Lidl make a move for the Tesco site, because the demolition has taken place, there are fewer restrictions (the gym site has 36) and all of the permissions are in place.

However the site is 4 times bigger than the gym site and it's possible Tesco won't want to sell to a rival.

What happens to the Tesco site determines the fate of the area. We've got the expensive areas to one side of us so a good housing estate like the one they're putting on the old hospital would benefit the area. Or they could build loads of tiny starter houses/flats or social housing and flood the area with people. Property prices are still on the rise where we are. 2 bedroom terraced houses are going for around £200k now.

My preference would be a mixed site with a supermarket, other shops and some housing. It's big enough.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

StMarks wrote:
:? Because they can afford the best Lawyers, & get away with whatever "shit" they want by playing the system.?

Well...end of the day it is their land...and has been for a long time. I'm sure if they thought they could build a store and make a profit they'd be all over it in no time.

End of the day it belongs to them.

You guys are very territorial.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

D41 wrote: End of the day it belongs to them.

I'd call it "invested interest" in the area they live in and their money...
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

D41 wrote:
StMarks wrote:

Well...end of the day it is their land...and has been for a long time. I'm sure if they thought they could build a store and make a profit they'd be all over it in no time.

End of the day it belongs to them.

I knew you'd say that before you said it
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Now that's fcuking funny!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Well Tesco have told Lidl about their plans not to go ahead and invited Lidl to make an offer, so hopefully the disused site will be built on and we get to keep our local gym and bowling alley.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

sounds like a good way forward,.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.