XCP professional

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: XCP professional

Post by Rossgo »

Wow Kiwi. Thanks kyou for the explanation. That is really well explained.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

kiwikrasher wrote:we used hydrofluoric acid as a catalyst, and that is the nastiest shite on earth.
Can quite believe it, we were warned about the possible presence of hydrofluoric acid years ago, if Viton O-rings have been subjected to high pressures and high heat, such as in vehicles that have had a fire etc, there is the remote possibility of fingers being contaminated, the resultant burns are either treated by a special gel or amputation of the affected area. As you say Kiwi nastiest shite on earth.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Deegee wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:we used hydrofluoric acid as a catalyst, and that is the nastiest shite on earth.
Can quite believe it, we were warned about the possible presence of hydrofluoric acid years ago, if Viton O-rings have been subjected to high pressures and high heat, such as in vehicles that have had a fire etc, there is the remote possibility of fingers being contaminated, the resultant burns are either treated by a special gel or amputation of the affected area. As you say Kiwi nastiest shite on earth.
We had roughly 60 Ton of it (anhydrous) at 99% purity. Even a couple of percent drop in purity would start the stainless steel piping and columns corroding at an alarming rate. The reheater on the acid return to the settler was replaced every 6 months due to corrosion.

I was assigned to that plant for about 2 years. For that time I had to have an Hydrofluoric specific treatment kit in my commuting vehicle and at home. You can get delayed burns for up to 6 hrs later. The gel Deegee mentioned is calcium glucanate qel. The hospital near the refinery was regularly trained on treating an acid burnt victim from our Alky Plant.

I had one trip to hospital after getting caught in a waist high cloud of vapour with A Class PPE ( minimum required to enter plant) by the time I got out of the Safety shower there was police, ambulance and fire brigade units on site outside my plant. I was lucky and got no burns but my leather boots had desintergrated by the time I got back to work (6 hrs later)

I was told that plant was 90% of the chemical risk in the Sydney basin.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Jesus.. is it worse than hydrochloric then? I know that's a bass-turd and will eat through everything except PTFE (?) can't remember which one now. Might be PVC.

Rather you than me Kiwi !!
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/newsce ... e_refinery

Picture on that page is the plant in question. That a C class suit he's putting on. Any work with potential exposure to acid required that suit.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:Jesus.. is it worse than hydrochloric then? I know that's a bass-turd and will eat through everything except PTFE (?) can't remember which one now. Might be PVC.

Rather you than me Kiwi !!
Yup heaps worse CAV, due to the fluoride ions. Have a look at the H&S section on here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofl ... .26_safety

I don't work with it now Cav, think godness. And the plant had gone as the refinery got levelled.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Has anyone else tried this stuff?

I put it on a few places on the SX. It is a lot thicker than ACF50. It does stay in place and it has survived a few washes.

My main gripe though is that it seems to keep hold of dust and dirt. You can wash it off, but if it's picking up crap then surely there's a risk to the bike when you wash it? You don't want to putting your sponge or mitt on top of grit when you're cleaning, do you?

I'll have a chat with All Year Biker to see what they say.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

I've got it for corrosion treating my Vito etc, so fwiw the grime aspect is not really an issue for me.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Rossgo wrote:Blinking hell what the hell is this!
A petroleum based (naphtha) surfacant. It breaks down surface tension of a liquid and helps it penetrate.

The Alkyl part at the front is in reference to the reaction used (Alkylation) to form it. Alkylation is a reaction in the presence of a catalyst to allow ionic transfer. It's also how we used to create pure octane (a cyclic C8 hydrocarbon) at the refinery for blending into motor fuel. Except we used hydrofluoric acid as a catalyst, and that is the nastiest shite on earth.

I saw Ale and want some