Plastic made from milk

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Plastic made from milk

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/milk-based-food-wrap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit of a game changer if it's not too expensive to produce.

The best way to protect your leftover food? By wrapping it in more food. According to new research presented at the National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS), we’ll soon be doing away with that pesky cling wrap that seems to stick to everything but what you’re trying to cover (and apparently, doesn’t do that great of a job of keeping your food from spoiling, either).

Instead, we’ll be turning to “an environmentally friendly film made of the milk protein casein,” which is purportedly “500 times better than plastics at keeping oxygen away from food.” And best of all, because they’re derived from milk, these wrappings are biodegradable, sustainable, and in fact edible.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: Plastic made from milk

Post by D41 »

Thought this thread was going to be about sommit else.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

you're thinking of the frothy coffee thread.

I thought the end of plastic wrapping would be of some interest seeing as there's so much plastic kicking about.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

^what you have just said Kwacky I totally agree we seem to wrap everything up and I have been confused for a while of why we use so much plastic wrapping on so many different things there really is no need so an alternative that is going to be environmentally safe is great great news. Unsure why it has taken this long
D41

Post by D41 »

Kwacky wrote:you're thinking of the frothy coffee thread.

I thought the end of plastic wrapping would be of some interest seeing as there's so much plastic kicking about.
Nah....there's a company called Pedro's which makes all it's cycling products from recycled stuff.....they make bottle cages & tyre 'irons', etc. from old plastic milk cartons.

I misread the title.

And Pedro's stuff doesn't work very well...in fact it's utterly useless for the main part. But they were one of the shop/store sponsors when I raced MTB's.

So bottom line....I'd have a Pedro's sh*te bottle cage on my bike, with an empty Pedro's water bottle in it, and then a 'real' cage with a store bottle in it which actually held water, and didn't break the cage to pieces at the first sign of a bump in the trail.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I see that the plastic bag ban in California is still an issue. Aren't they holding a referendum on it?
D41

Post by D41 »

I think so???

The place I go to is German-owned. I think (ALDI)....you just use your own cloth bags or sommit. I don't know...I just walk through and point at sh*t and someone else pays for it, 'cos I'm pampered. If I'm lucky they'll let me push the cart for a bit.

My best mate is HUGE into the environment movement...a shopping trip is pure Purgatory, 'cos all I eat is dairy, and he's a frickin' numbnut Vegan.