Almeria Report

The news and your views about biking
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Almeria Report

Post by Frankie »

Just back from Almeria, should have been 3 great days on track, went down to the truck/track when we landed on Tuesday to sort the bikes out and help unload as we do....seems mine was dropping fluid :( no idea where or how, so proceeded to do the rad weld bit, as it seems to be the radiator, left overnight until track time the next morning.

Weather who'd a thought it! Drizzle at times, overcast.....turned out OK as we all just managed to get out as and when it seemed good, regardless of this I don't think we lost much if any track time. Bike done well, repair held and all was good. Went into day two very positive, if it held yesterday today should be fine.

Cracking weather, went out straight away to get some laps in, push, push ha ha this is great, then all of a sudden, it was a steam clean going on....and this was the top blind corner where I am sure I was flagged, but could not see lol.
Got to pits and it was the rad again, a lot of fluid found its way to the rear wheel! (Dovi-Esk) lol.

So now it was time to strip off the fairings again, loosen up the rad, take off the fan, and yes a great big spurt of water coming out, once I got her up to temp again :( borrowed some metal weld and slapped it all over hole, went to lunch, came back filled her up, and another leak, down the bottom now. At this point I gave up the rad was shot waste of time trying to fix it. I did try everywhere to find a breaker or some kind of bike spares outfit, nothing, this was asking locals, the owner of the track, everyone :( . So it was time to put her back together and forget about it nothing I can do now, well unless somehow a rad shows up.
Glad I took the camera, as I spent a bit of time taking pics of everyone else.

However, it's time likes these you know who your pals are, and what a lot of them, Mick obviously said I could take the 999 out for a wobble, I did not want to as it is in race shift and I would not want to get that wrong down the back straight...but thanks again mate it was very much appreciated. Got to ride Pauls gsxr 1100, the old beast with the twin headlights, holy crap for an old girl it's quick, but it was like having a steering damper turned up fully, it would not turn, well with me on it, he managed to rag it round plenty quick enough, as did Dave the truck driver ha ha.
There were other offers for a couple of Tuono's (road bikes) again I did not feel comfortable so I declined the kind offers.
Then I took Gary's Cbr600 out, the mistake here was he had a lap timer on it, and no matter how much I tried I could not take my eyes off it each sector and lap, ha ha.....needless to say I was out a little longer than expected.
Day three, I managed to ride out most of the time of the instructor bike, the hornet, what a fun machine that was, the advice I was given, hang off like a gibbon lol....so I did, must have looked comical.
Then Neil one of the instructors said while he has having lunch, take his gsxr 750 out for a blast, oh my god, I know the bike is not your normal 750, but the power in comparison to a 600 is very noticeable, loved it and again has all the lap timer gizmo's on it. Spend a good amount of time on it trying to get quicker, plus I did not think I would get another chance on it. As soon as I came in Jake the other instructor said get on his, and beat the time I did on Neil's machine, wow chalk and cheese, even thought the bikes are similar. Really hard steering, but the faster you went to more planted the front felt, so I pushed a little harder, after some fun I came in with another second off the time I did on Neil's bike. So much fun, then the rest of the time, I was taking pics, and riding the hornet, well until I ran out of fuel on the back straight, I stayed out just one lap to many :( doh! The walk of shame after coming in on the trailer lol

Even though I had a few bike issues, I still managed to get a high amount of track time, on various machines which was pretty awesome.

Oh yes and on day three in the morning, I took the hornet around the new track, with almost everyone else, David said we could all have a littl bimble around it to see what we thought.

My personal view is that I would not want to be on a sessioned track day on this, it is tight and twisty with a lot of blind bends, very undulating. I can see a lot of red and yellow flags being shown on a track day with mixed abilities for sure.
It will take some time to learn, lovely as it was I like the track we were on. I suppose I am knowing that one a little more.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Re: Almeria Report

Post by rocket »

Nice write up frankie shame about the bike, what a great bunch letting you go out on there bikes :-) can not wait till i go in may made me even more excited.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That's crap news about your bike but at least it sounds like an easy fix.

But what a time to be had riding so many bikes on a track like that. Nice one (y)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I know :), I will post some pics up at some point, back to work and flat out, so it might take a while, need to sort through a lot ha ha
Indeed a total nightmare, turned into an experience very much enjoyed :)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Talk about "clouds having silver linings" Fkkr1s, that sounds like a brilliant trip. Getting to ride a good cross section of bikes on a track that you'd started to familiarise yourself with, would make it far better than the usual trackday IMHO mate.
Lucky you.! (y)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Best write up for ages Frankie. Really enjoyed the read apart from the obvious.

Glad you still managed a great trip and what a first class set of guys.

Hope the bike is a quick and easy fix.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

StMarks wrote:Talk about "clouds having silver linings" Fkkr1s, that sounds like a brilliant trip. Getting to ride a good cross section of bikes on a track that you'd started to familiarise yourself with, would make it far better than the usual trackday IMHO mate.
Lucky you.! (y)
I was going to say polishing a turd! :D :D but I am a heathen downunder (blush)

Sounds like you had a blast mate, glad the woes didn't end your track time and you still had a great trip away!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

It was a great trip, this was the best of the 4 I have done so far, maybe as it wasn't so hot I got on better. I tired to do all my best sessions in the morning when it was a lot cooler.
I thought poor Frankie had fixed his bike considering it lasted all the first day with Radweld in it, then gave up the ghost first thing the next morning.
The 999 was great a lot better than I expected, it may need a quick action throttle though ! The new QS was great and she never missed a beat. managed to get to 147mph down the back straight not bad for a 13 year old bike. great Craic as usual but as it was oversubscribed there was a lot of beer drank on the evenings and plenty of vino collapso !
Some very nice bikes on show as well 4 fannygales a new R1M which sounded fantastic with the AR system on it. The 2 guys on the ZX10's were very rapid they were in mid 1.40's on fast laps.
I may have to get an AIM SOLO as I didn't have a clue on my lap times, not that im overly bothered as its pure fun for me but would be nice to know if you think your getting quicker.
Only one problem was the LH grip kept sliding down the clip on even after it was lockwired on it still kept moving (gah) (gah) the only problem I had for 3 days so cant complain really.
I have taken some pics as well when I get round to it i'll post some up.
Roll on next year as I cant do Jerez this year.
we still haven't found out who was driving round the car park with someone sitting in a chair on the roof of their hire car (facepalm) :D :D
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

First off, Frankie - I was gutted to read about your water woes, however bikers are in my experience some of the best people to have around you in a pinch, and it seems like the guys you were with really came through for you; as pointed about above, most clouds do have silver linings.

Mick, it sounds like you got the 999 really humming round there and I know if you're looking for a lap/section timer you've gelled really well with the bike on track and are getting properly competitive, it's always handy to know just how good you really are.

Great write-ups guys, glad nothing catastrophic happened (ground meets bike/rider etc) and fingers crossed you've had a pretty fair time of it, so when's the next one planned?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

A real shame about your rad mate but clearly some great guys go along and got to sample a load of different bikes which must of been a great laugh! Hope you get your track bike all sorted quickly

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk