It's time for a bike change - Cornish is on the hunt again..

The news and your views about biking
Cornish
Your Bike: BMW RnineT

It's time for a bike change - Cornish is on the hunt again..

Post by Cornish »

Well gents and ladies (the latter for Monty clearly) it's time for a change of bike.

Having loved the MT-09 and I'm not kidding, it's a cracking fun and naughty inducing bike for a year (I know Kwacky I've had it a whole 12ms) which is twice as long as any previous bike I fancy a change and head on back to superbikes...:-)

I've been looking at a number of options; BMW, Ducati, Honda, Triumph (I know not a superbike) and I think after considering the RSV4 (too small for me I reckon) I'm aiming for a ZX-10R.

So apart from be infamous Kwacky what's people's view on a 2011/12 model as I've gotta watch monies and will be buying for cash.

I've seen a 2011 one with 9k miles on and he's looking at a trade-in price for my MT-09 so hopping to do the deal today.

Or should i go for a 2012 one with 12k miles on instead?

I've had a look and see they're due for major service at 15k so thinking the 2011 one would be better for the mo.

Views, advice and abuse most welcomed.

Cornish.
Carpe De Pasty

Veni - Vidi - Vici (I came, I saw, I Conquered)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: It's time for a bike change - Cornish is on the hunt aga

Post by Cav »

Hi mate, don't think we've spoken before - nice to 'meet' you.

A friend of mine has an 11 or 12 plate ZX10R and it had the suspension fiddled with and it was massively geared down (or up).. he hated it. After going back to stock settings and finding a setup that suited him as well as changing the gearing he fell in love with the bike. I believe it makes 184bhp with a slip on and air filter and it's a stonking piece of kit!

I don't know about any revisions in terms of manufacture year so can't offer advice on that sadly.

If I had £9k cash and was looking at one of those, I would strongly consider getting a small loan (or 0% credit card) to get the 2016 ZX10R as it's on sale for around £13k with an Akra pipe
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Cav good to meet you buddy.

I've heard keeping it standard delivers a cracking bike so good advice. Clearly a slip on or full system will be done as you've gotta hear the beast roar.

I've considered the PCP and new bike option, yet as others on here will tell ya, my misses is very good at spending money on our house (to benefit both of us) and she's gotta another project in the pipeline so no borrowing allowed :-(. Also I normally change my bike every 6ms so buying new again is a no no.
Carpe De Pasty

rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Just bought one. It's a 2011 bike great piece of kit and great out of the box. The gearing does need adjusting in my opion just because 1st gear is to tall for the road so you find your self in first a lot on standard gearing. Apart from that it's does not need anything great bike so far handles well and great aceleration. Think the later models got an electronic steering damper but not much changes apart from that.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Hey Rocket that's great to know.
I've heard 1st gear is taller and a pain at times.

I'll have a look to see which year had the steering damper.
Carpe De Pasty

Cav

Post by Cav »

Thing with that steering damper is that it's a common mod to replace it with a conventional one so not sure there's any benefit to having it - might just be hearsay though!

All modern sports bikes have a tall first gear now because it makes launching easier (less wheelie) and you can have 2nd-6th closer together which is better on the track - plus it's rare to use first gear on track especially on a 1000
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

If you go for a zx10r try and get the 013 model onwards ,it has an electronic steering damper and you can plug into the ecu an ohlins active rear shock.The oem rear shock is allegedly junk but mine felt ok on the road,the front forks are awesome and I havent had to adjust mine at all

Its a tiny bike for a 1000 and handles like a 600 ,the standard gearing is silly and on Blades advice it needs one down at the front and one up at the rear,this really wakens the midrange up that everyone says its lacking.People also say the oem bt016 tyres are junk but again they felt ok to me,not sure I would want to rag it on track with them though

Ive ridden lots of thous and the zx10r feels like a mental 600 on steroids ,the journos dont give them very good reviews but its won everything in all classes across the world.For the money its a cracking bike and will be very reliable because its a jap
Last edited by Perkles on 01 Apr 2016, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Cornish wrote:Hey Rocket that's great to know.
I've heard 1st gear is taller and a pain at times.

I'll have a look to see which year had the steering damper.
No problem blade and perkles have the later bike and they have had them longer than me. So I'm sure will give you some more pointers.

With regards to the steering damper I would not get to hung up about it. It's not the best but does its job the front end waggles but it's controlable. I have not experienced the electronic damper but read It is pretty much the same.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

This place is turning into the zx10r owners club :D

Perkles and Blade both have one but they have more recent versions (not the 2016 model). Perkles describes his as a 600 on steroids and it's been pretty hard to prise Blade away from his.

It appears to be the norm to replace the rear shock as the stock one isn't supposed to be very good. As mentioned, sprockets need to be changed as well to alter the gearing otherwise you're doing 100mph in first.

You don't need to get a full system, just replace the large baffle box with a link pipe and then choose a new slip on zorst.

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will give you an idea of the service costs.

And just to throw a fly in the ointment............ brand new for £10k http://www.motorcyclesdirect.co.uk/road ... -10r-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I just can't believe you managed to go 12 months!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Perkles wrote:If you go for a zx10r try and get the 013 model onwards ,it has an electronic steering damper and you can plug into the ecu an ohlins active rear shock.The oem rear shock is allegedly junk but mine felt ok on the road,the front forks are awesome and I havent had to adjust mine at all

Its a tiny bike for a 1000 and handles like a 600 ,the standard gearing is silly and on Blades advice it needs one down at the front and one up at the rear,this really wakens the midrange up that everyone says its lacking.People also say the oem bt016 tyres are junk but again they felt ok to me,not sure I would want to rag it on track with them though

Ive ridden lots of thous and the zx10r feels like a mental 600 on steroids ,the journos dont give them very good reviews but its won everything in all classes across the world.For the money its a cracking bike and will be very reliable because its a jap
Pickles me old fruit thanks for this. I'd love to stretch to the 2013 yet it's a further £1.5+ and can't this week :-).
Good advice re the gearing aspects too my friend.
Carpe De Pasty

Cav

Post by Cav »

NOT THE BT016s !!! Get rid of those as soon as possible, only tyre I've genuinely felt scared on. They don't give much feedback but appear to grip fine so give it a bit of sh!t then it tries to catapult you into the nearest hedge. The same happened on my ZX6R and the SV650 I owned so stuff using them on a 1000!!!

Also, the stock shocks on all bikes are adequate for the road - but they're the weak point on most japanese bikes
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Monty wrote:I just can't believe you managed to go 12 months!
Monty I know mental eh it's a cracking bike the MT-09 yet I'm missing sports bikes; back ache, leathers too tight, crouched for hours and blaring about.

Heck I was looking at a 636 like yours same money yet younger Reg. than the ZX-10R. Then I thought bad choice as we will get confused Image
Carpe De Pasty

Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Cav wrote:NOT THE BT016s !!! Get rid of those as soon as possible, only tyre I've genuinely felt scared on. They don't give much feedback but appear to grip fine so give it a bit of sh!t then it tries to catapult you into the nearest hedge. The same happened on my ZX6R and the SV650 I owned so stuff using them on a 1000!!!

Also, the stock shocks on all bikes are adequate for the road - but they're the weak point on most japanese bikes
I'm a Rosso III man when it comes to tyres; had them on all my bikes so will change to those of not.

Yup the shock will do as is for me
Carpe De Pasty

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It was the stock OEM BT016s on my bike when I lost the front and crashed in spectacular style. Horrible tyres.
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Kwacky wrote:This place is turning into the zx10r owners club :D

Perkles and Blade both have one but they have more recent versions (not the 2016 model). Perkles describes his as a 600 on steroids and it's been pretty hard to prise Blade away from his.

It appears to be the norm to replace the rear shock as the stock one isn't supposed to be very good. As mentioned, sprockets need to be changed as well to alter the gearing otherwise you're doing 100mph in first.

You don't need to get a full system, just replace the large baffle box with a link pipe and then choose a new slip on zorst.

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will give you an idea of the service costs.

And just to throw a fly in the ointment............ brand new for £10k http://www.motorcyclesdirect.co.uk/road ... -10r-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As always thanks Kwacky.

No new bike you tempter you!!!

Servicing packages are standard now across a few dealers I've seen so helps with the budgeting.

If I proceed and get the bike I'll be ensuring the gearing and pipe are sorted ASAP for sure.
Carpe De Pasty

Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

cheapest place for exhausts and link pipes http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-ARROW ... 2599f15ebc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I found the delivery slow though but it was a good cost saving ,my arrow can without a baffle sounds great but not to loud
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

But £10k for a brand new one. Fresh out of the box. Virginal. Unspanked.

There are second hand ones going for more than that.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Cornish wrote:
Monty wrote:I just can't believe you managed to go 12 months!
Monty I know mental eh it's a cracking bike the MT-09 yet I'm missing sports bikes; back ache, leathers too tight, crouched for hours and blaring about.

Heck I was looking at a 636 like yours same money yet younger Reg. than the ZX-10R. Then I thought bad choice as we will get confused Image
I'm fine with accidentally taking a 13 plate bike home
Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Kwacky, you need to find out who is logging into Cornish account.

Kept a bike for 12 months? That definitely isn't Cornish.