What ails you today?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: What ails you today?

Post by Kwacky »

Does this feeling come in cycles? Can you see the warning signs?
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

It's just been building. I'm contemplating going back onto medication. You know the feeling after an adrenaline rush when your body tingles and you feel like you don't have full use of your limbs? That's how I'm feeling most of my working day. When I get home I'm then just panicked and stressed. I get snappy with my Wife and too easily frustrated with my Son sometimes and have had to walk away from a lot of situations (that aren't even situations.. e.g. my Son enjoys kicking his legs when I'm trying to put his nappy or trousers on and I can't cope with it.. so walk away, tell myself off, come back and get on with it)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Have a chat with your GP, see what they say about going back on medication.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

hiccups since 2.00pm still going , getting on my tits now .
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:Have a chat with your GP, see what they say about going back on medication.
I was thinking about medication yesterday, I'll ring for an appointment this morning.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cleared for work next week, only using the puffer first thing in the morning now.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Cav wrote:It's just been building. I'm contemplating going back onto medication. You know the feeling after an adrenaline rush when your body tingles and you feel like you don't have full use of your limbs? That's how I'm feeling most of my working day. When I get home I'm then just panicked and stressed. I get snappy with my Wife and too easily frustrated with my Son sometimes and have had to walk away from a lot of situations (that aren't even situations.. e.g. my Son enjoys kicking his legs when I'm trying to put his nappy or trousers on and I can't cope with it.. so walk away, tell myself off, come back and get on with it)
Mate, ask your doctor about being tested for autism and ADHD. I'm no expert, far from it, but I have an autistic/ADHD wife, three autistic/ADHD children, and one with PDA. I'm dyslexic and fairly certain I'm also ADHD, and you do seem to be showing some signs of being on the spectrum.

Part of the reason why you're so short with the wife and kid could be because you've been masking all day and don't have anything left in the tank. My kids are like that after a day in school, model students all day and they come out of school like a bottle of coke and mentos. I find I need at least 30 minutes of quiet time after work before I can face the family/jobs/cooking etc. I don't get that very often and I do tend to explode over something that on reflection wasn't that important.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav

Post by Cav »

Monty wrote:
Cav wrote:It's just been building. I'm contemplating going back onto medication. You know the feeling after an adrenaline rush when your body tingles and you feel like you don't have full use of your limbs? That's how I'm feeling most of my working day. When I get home I'm then just panicked and stressed. I get snappy with my Wife and too easily frustrated with my Son sometimes and have had to walk away from a lot of situations (that aren't even situations.. e.g. my Son enjoys kicking his legs when I'm trying to put his nappy or trousers on and I can't cope with it.. so walk away, tell myself off, come back and get on with it)
Mate, ask your doctor about being tested for autism and ADHD. I'm no expert, far from it, but I have an autistic/ADHD wife, three autistic/ADHD children, and one with PDA. I'm dyslexic and fairly certain I'm also ADHD, and you do seem to be showing some signs of being on the spectrum.

Part of the reason why you're so short with the wife and kid could be because you've been masking all day and don't have anything left in the tank. My kids are like that after a day in school, model students all day and they come out of school like a bottle of coke and mentos. I find I need at least 30 minutes of quiet time after work before I can face the family/jobs/cooking etc. I don't get that very often and I do tend to explode over something that on reflection wasn't that important.
I've thought about it before and spoken to my Wife and her Mum. My brother-in-law is autistic and they've been around learning disabilities for 30 years because of him. They are both very confident I'm not on the spectrum, or maybe just knocking on the door of it. A diagnosis wouldn't change anything anyway personally. My mindset has changed since my amnesia and job stresses.. just need to figure out a better life balance I think
Monty

Post by Monty »

That's a very healthy way of approaching it, but there are demonstrable links between undiagnosed autism/ADHD and trauma/anxiety. My wife's recent breakdown and suicide attempts are a direct result of undiagnosed autism. She's 42 now, but It would have been a very different story for her if she had got a diagnosis at your age.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

According to the doctor who helped with my son, we are all on the spectrum somewhere.

He also reckoned that if they tested prisoners they would find at least 75% have more than one issue on the spectrum and is the likely reason they are inside.
Monty

Post by Monty »

duke63 wrote:According to the doctor who helped with my son, we are all on the spectrum somewhere.
He's wrong about that, you're either neurotypical or neurodiverse. You're either on the spectrum or you're not.
duke63 wrote: He also reckoned that if they tested prisoners they would find at least 75% have more than one issue on the spectrum and is the likely reason they are inside.
He's right about that, which is why an early diagnosis is so important.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Monty wrote:
duke63 wrote:According to the doctor who helped with my son, we are all on the spectrum somewhere.
He's wrong about that, you're either neurotypical or neurodiverse. You're either on the spectrum or you're not.
duke63 wrote: He also reckoned that if they tested prisoners they would find at least 75% have more than one issue on the spectrum and is the likely reason they are inside.
He's right about that, which is why an early diagnosis is so important.

I forget sometimes that what we learned then is now 15 years ago, i'm sure the knowledge of ADHD and autism has come a long way since then.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I should get tested but I can't be arsed.

I'm diagnosed dyslexic, and since my sons ASD and pending ADHD diagnosis, I've realised I score quite highly on those fronts too.

Monty is bang on with his statement about getting snappy and much less tolerant at the end of the day or when tired. I get very much like this, also when I'm hungry, and it's uncontrollable. My son also needs a good hour on his iPad after school before you can get anything sensible out of him.

I focus on the positives of my neuro-diversity, and I hope in time to be able to teach my son how to do the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I think perhaps what he meant was that everyone with autism is somewhere on the autism spectrum?.....meaning that it affects them in different ways, and also to varying degrees.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Monty wrote:

I don’t fully agree with that Monty.

I agree you are either LABELLED as neurotypical or neurodiverse. You're either LABELLED as on the spectrum or you're not

Neurotypical and Neurodiverse are labels. While it is indeed a biological condition and not a ‘feeling’ or ‘I identify as’….

And while you may be labelled as one or the other depending on a diagnosable condition, in my understanding they aren’t a binary biological situation.

Neurodiversity is the diversity of human minds, the INFINITE VARIATIONS in neurocognitive functioning within our species.

The terms were only coined in the ‘90’s as a movement away from those conditions being a disability and rather a normal subsection of brain biology.

There needs to be a certain level of diversity to be labelled neurodiverse. That doesn’t mean a neurotypical brain has no neurodiversity traits at all.

As for everyone is on the spectrum, it depends on where you view that spectrum starting. Everyone has a self simulation capacity, taps their feet, clicks a pen, fiddles with objects. Alone it’s not a diagnosable trait, but when it’s more extreme and combines with other spectrum traits, it is. As you know, there has to be a combination and severity of traits to be diagnosed with a Neurodiverse condition. So I do believe everyone sits on the spectrum somewhere, just those classed as neurotypical are well down on it.

As a few of you have mentioned, you feel you have undiagnosed traits/conditions. I think that is quite common for our age group. I’ve had more than one of Byron’s therapists ask me if I’ve been assessed. I haven’t but I absolutely know I’m close to a diagnosable level. The more I learnt about Byron the more I learnt about myself. The strategies I use for Byron, Jess has learnt to use with me in some degree.

It’s why I am very successful with managing Byron compared to his mum. My core being understands how he feels in many situations, I haven’t just learnt it, I feel it.

But ask my GP. I’m officially neurotypical and not on the spectrum
Cav

Post by Cav »

Baby Cav has a really bad throat infection. Swollen, red and spotty tonsils.

2 nights ago he got a few hours sleep only, crying constantly, wouldn't feed, wouldn't drink, abdominal discomfort, reflux, burping, farting, excessive saliva.. it was horrendous for all of us.

Last night was thankfully much more successful. He's started his antibiotics so hopefully this whole things quickly goes to bed.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Monty wrote:

I don’t fully agree with that Monty.

I agree you are either LABELLED as neurotypical or neurodiverse. You're either LABELLED as on the spectrum or you're not

Neurotypical and Neurodiverse are labels. While it is indeed a biological condition and not a ‘feeling’ or ‘I identify as’….

And while you may be labelled as one or the other depending on a diagnosable condition, in my understanding they aren’t a binary biological situation.

Neurodiversity is the diversity of human minds, the INFINITE VARIATIONS in neurocognitive functioning within our species.

The terms were only coined in the ‘90’s as a movement away from those conditions being a disability and rather a normal subsection of brain biology.

There needs to be a certain level of diversity to be labelled neurodiverse. That doesn’t mean a neurotypical brain has no neurodiversity traits at all.

As for everyone is on the spectrum, it depends on where you view that spectrum starting. Everyone has a self simulation capacity, taps their feet, clicks a pen, fiddles with objects. Alone it’s not a diagnosable trait, but when it’s more extreme and combines with other spectrum traits, it is. As you know, there has to be a combination and severity of traits to be diagnosed with a Neurodiverse condition. So I do believe everyone sits on the spectrum somewhere, just those classed as neurotypical are well down on it.

As a few of you have mentioned, you feel you have undiagnosed traits/conditions. I think that is quite common for our age group. I’ve had more than one of Byron’s therapists ask me if I’ve been assessed. I haven’t but I absolutely know I’m close to a diagnosable level. The more I learnt about Byron the more I learnt about myself. The strategies I use for Byron, Jess has learnt to use with me in some degree.

It’s why I am very successful with managing Byron compared to his mum. My core being understands how he feels in many situations, I haven’t just learnt it, I feel it.

But ask my GP. I’m officially neurotypical and not on the spectrum
I think that was the point i was trying to make, albeit not very well.

The more i learned of my son's condition, the more i could see some of the traits in my behaviour but just not on the same scale.

I could also see some of those traits in pretty much everyone else too.
Monty

Post by Monty »

kiwikrasher wrote:But ask my GP. I’m officially neurotypical and not on the spectrum
Mate, I'm fairly certain you've got your own spectrum :D
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Monty

Post by Monty »

Current thinking (It's changing all the time) is you can have many of the traits, but it doesn't mean you're on the spectrum. The traits are just an indicator that you might be.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Monty wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:But ask my GP. I’m officially neurotypical and not on the spectrum
Mate, I'm fairly certain you've got your own spectrum :D
(lol) best response ever (lol)