Bike Insurance

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Bike Insurance

Post by Blade »

Ringing round for quotes and using the comparsion websites and one thing I m noticing is prices seem to have increased quite a bit (n)

Bikes and me are older and other elements that effect the premium are identical so can only assume the increase in bike theft is driving everyones Premiums up which is not good to hear (blush)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Bike Insurance

Post by Kwacky »

Wasn't there an increase in insurance tax in the last budget?

https://www.abi.org.uk/News/News-releas ... -the-facts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That will explain the increase in most costs. 3.5% is a decent hike.

I'm sure that's not the only reason they're looking to charge more but it might explain some of it.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I'm being asked if crash bungs effect BHP
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:I'm being asked if crash bungs effect BHP
Not unless someone jams it down your exhaust!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Blade wrote:I'm being asked if crash bungs effect BHP
lol who are you talking to
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Bewiser are fooking useless, seriously they shouldn't even be in the insurance market. Even if they were 10 pence a year I wouldn't use them.

The guy doesn't even recognise Thatcham Category 1 which is an industry recognised standard, Doesn't know what an end can is, things a tail tidy will effect performance. Its seriously painful. Nice enough kid but he would be better suited to screwing bottle tops on toothpaste bottles in a factory some where.

How do companies expect you to want to do buisness with them if they can't even give their staff the most basic of training (gah)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Bewiser?

Don't. Just don't.

A few years ago I had a quote from Be Wiser for two bikes - cbr600rr and a brand new zx6r. I wanted a single policy, fully comp. No problem. They came in cheaper than anyone else and Carole Nash (who I was with) couldn't match them.

I paid in full.

Three days later I got my insurance certificates (plural). One policy for each bike. Both TPFT. I called them up and they had no record of my request for a single policy fully comp (even though the calls are recorded and they have to input the information into the computer to get the quotes). If I wanted fully comp and one policy it's another £400!!!

So I cancelled. That's fine. They'll deduct 3 months from the policy and give me 9 months back less £50 admin fee!!! I don't think so. After 3 days I got a full refund and went back to Carole Nash and got what I wanted.

Which was a good job as a few days later I sent the zx6r down the road. If I hadn't checked my Be Wiser policy I wouldn't have been covered and out of pocket to the price of a brand new bike.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I'm havent got a price yet as they need to refer it but I won't be bothering for any price.

Service, quality and experience have to be accounted for and Bewiser would mess up a p1ss up in a brewery.

Good job you checked your policy and very lucky escape.

I hate doing multi bike insurance each quote takes between 45 and 90 minutes. I have rang 3 companies and wasted 5 hours of my life today.

Will ring Carole Nash tomorrow Kwacky but there rarely competitive for me for some reason.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

CN aren't always the cheapest but I've used them 3 times over the years and each time their customer service and support has been second to none.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Kwacky wrote:CN aren't always the cheapest but I've used them 3 times over the years and each time their customer service and support has been second to none.
Have to say they were pretty good when i made a claim last year
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

If they can get close I m happy to pay a small premium for quality cover but they are often over double my best quote which would be from another reputable broker so little to add TBH .

I guess my risk profile is not what they are looking for unfortunately as is often the case when shopping around. What is right for one customer often isn't for another as far as insurance goes in my experience.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I wonder if your postcode has become more risky for some reason? I hate doing insurance.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Occupation is a big factor as well
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I've got both my bike and car renwals through the post this last week. My bike insurance is the same but the car has sky-rocketed.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

I've just been phoning up to transfer my insurance onto the new bike. I've got three weeks of my policy left till 3 years no claims. MCE will give me the 3 years ncb early but want twice the price of the cheapest comparison price. No thanks! Have you tried Bikesure for the Tankslap discount yet? They also have a cover of £5k for riding other bikes.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

duke63 wrote:I've got both my bike and car renwals through the post this last week. My bike insurance is the same but the car has sky-rocketed.
Adrian Flux were good for my car insurance Duke. I added flexdrive for £20 and I'm now fully comp on ANY car up to £30k damage.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Not sure when mines due but I'm not using mce again they were feckin useless and charged me a small fortune for a mid term change
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Perkles wrote:Not sure when mines due but I'm not using mce again they were feckin useless and charged me a small fortune for a mid term change
Last time mce were significantly the cheapest for me and they also included helmet and leathers and breakdown cover for free. Not even close this time. They quote £40 admin charge for changes.
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:I've got both my bike and car renwals through the post this last week. My bike insurance is the same but the car has sky-rocketed.
Mines the opposite Duke. Car has come down and Bike gone up.

I don't think it's my occupation as pretty much done the same job all my life plus current job and employer has been the same for 15 years.

Perhaps it's post code as Cookie suggests.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Have you tried Aviva? They do a really good multi policy discount.