Kwacky's Kwik KTM 1190 Adventurer Review

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Kwacky's Kwik KTM 1190 Adventurer Review

Post by Kwacky »

I'm at work so I'll do a brief post now and flesh it out later.

I've got this as a bike for the day while they work on z1000sx.

First impressions - it's no beauty but looks sturdy and practical. That seat looks very tall, which is confirmed when I finally sit on it. I'm just shy of 6 foot and I can just get both feet down. The flip side to that is a very tall riding position which gives an excellent view when you're in traffic.

It's a big vibey engine. There's a bag load of torque but I wouldn't call the delivery creamy, it's more school dinners custard - comforting, puts a smile on your face but a bit lumpy. For a big bike it's got good balance and poise, which allowed me to weave through the traffic without issue. As you would expect with that big KTM lump it pulls like a Premier League footballer at a school disco.

The rev range is short, which is something I struggle to get used to with big twins. I revved it through the gears up to about 120mph with the red warning light flashing at me for 5 of those. At speed the bike feels a little unsettled but it's not designed to take on the hyper tourers.

Brakes are good, not as strong as I like brakes to be and I found that the weight of the bike really shows up when you slam the brakes on hard as the bike starts to do a very slight weave and the ABS kicks in, which seemed to come in early.

The screen is tall, the bars wide but close to be a relaxed ride, the pegs low and slightly forward and the seat large and comfortable. The dash is clear and easy to read but there are probably too many features on there. I really don't need to know the outside temps, I'm sat on a bloody bike out in the weather you daft Austrian types.

Heated grips, ABS and power modes are all changeable as I think is the damping. I left the bike as it was seeing as it's not mine.

A couple of immediate gripes - the switches don't travel very far and are light, which means you only really need to touch them to get the indicators or horn to work. I like to feel a switch engage, if that makes sense?

The side stand is in a strange place and very upright, which is a bit concerning when you're on such a tall bike and you're struggling to get the sidestand involved.

So in brief - I imagine it's a great bike to ride for long journeys but it's too big for me.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Kwacky's Kwik KTM 1190 Adventurer Review

Post by Blade »

Good review. Sounds a good bike for touring which it is designed to do. Perhaps not the best as a daily commute but sounds like you enjoyed yourself all the same.

The SX should come back tip top for another 12 months and hopefully it might mark a change in the weather and some warmth shining down onto the black top.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

quality isnt great on them is it ? nice engines but I think they are a lot of dough for what they are
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Great bike but I don't think I was tempted to own one. If I was doing big miles and fancied the occasional off road then I reckon it's great but for commuting and weekend runs which is my riding then it's too big, too heavy and not nimble enough.

You get great views for filtering but when you need to do some slow speed weaving the tall seat and the weight really begin to show and limit your confidence in being able to hussle the bike about.

The SX felt like a mini moto afterwards. It's far better suited to me and my needs
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Hahaha love it..."I really don't need to know the outside temps, I'm sat on a bloody bike out inbred weather you daft Austrian types"!!

It does sound like a mile cruncher but looking at it it is massive so it would excel here. Bet your glad to get your SX back aren't you!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The SX felt like a kids toy after
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I bet it did. To be honest I do agree though sometimes a bike can just be too big for a commute. Great too see well ahead but you can get that on many other bikes.