Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Race Schools - Options

Post by Cav »

Has anyone been on a Race School?

The three that I'm aware of are:
- California Superbike School
- Ron Haslam Race School
- Chris Walker Race School

What are the pro's and con's of any of these that you have experienced?

Which of these would you do if you were putting your money in their pocket?

Are there any others that I haven't heard of?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Race Schools - Options

Post by Kwacky »

California is very highly regarded. I know there are some who knock it but it's successful and you get a wide range of riders going back.

It is rigid though. You have to do the first 3 levels before they start to look at you as an individual and working on your weaknesses. I did level 1 years ago and enjoyed it.

Chris Walker is ok but it's a short introduction and it depends who you get on the day. I was lucky enough to have Ben Wilson who was prepared to listen and watch your riding with excellent feedback. He's also aggressive on track so tended to ride ahead and force people to make way for us, which we needed as we were up to 20 second a lap quicker than the slower riders. Other "instructors" were no more than very young racers who lacked the skills to talk to the riders and give feedback.

No idea about Ron Haslam.

A lot of current and ex racers will spend a day with you on the track. Prices vary. Some of the good track day organisers used to offer a one on one service with their instructors.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Thanks for the input...

When I did donington they had a Supersport EVO rider there offering Tuition at a price but you only got 1 session with him - what's the point in that!?

I am also toying with the idea of saving the funds to pay for a racer I know to attend a trackday with me and give me personal tuition throughout the day. He won the top class in Thundersport this year. He's already helped me by watching my videos and giving words of advice, mostly down to my lines and gearing which is refreshing as nothing stood out as really bad rider inputs.

The Chris Walker race school stands out the most to me as the other two seem to be money grabbing exercises as, like you say, they're quite regimented in that you must do Level 1 before going to the next level. That's all good but it's a lot of money for the basics..
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

not sure if Chris Walkers is still running , CSS is pricey and regardless of your current skill level you will have to start at level 1 , Jamie Whitham runs a few days at various tracks , have you considered just doing a trackday and paying for instruction , the TD instructors are generally pretty good and if you use focused events you could get tuition from Neil Hodgson , John Reynolds , Niall McKenzie etc
Cav

Post by Cav »

Jack wrote:not sure if Chris Walkers is still running , CSS is pricey and regardless of your current skill level you will have to start at level 1 , Jamie Whitham runs a few days at various tracks , have you considered just doing a trackday and paying for instruction , the TD instructors are generally pretty good and if you use focused events you could get tuition from Neil Hodgson , John Reynolds , Niall McKenzie etc
It's definitely something to consider... :)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

As Kwacky says Chris Walker school is very variable on who you have as an instructor.

I had a young kid and got zero feedback apart from positive comments like nice lines and I was genuinely riding like a nervous big girl. Complete waste of money for me and I took nothing from the day.

Best imo would be do all 4 levels of css it's a proven and effective system although costly.
Alternative is what you suggest yourself and get some one on one tution from a racer.

I believe Mike "Spike" Edwards is highly regarded
Blade

Post by Blade »

Got to ask though Cav if your doing Donny in 1.37 why do you even need instruction?

Unless you want to race that is mighty impressive pace.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I haven't done a 1.37, that's my target with the bike in the condition (age/miles/upgrades) it's in. I've gotten a 1.41 and I want to get at least a 1.39 next year. I can definitely improve without tuition but I'm wanting to see just how fast I can go.

Currently I could make top half of the grid in Thundersport GB pre-national based on the 1.41 but I'm still 3-5 seconds off the top guys on that grid.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I'll be asking for tuition from you then. lol
Cav

Post by Cav »

D6 wrote:I'll be asking for tuition from you then. lol
Aha, I'll happily teach everyone everything I know :P

The way I've learned everything I know was by doing the following:
- Watching Twist of the Wrist II more than 10 times each time learning something new
- Watching YouTube videos
- Critiquing photos of myself and other riders to improve my body position
- Going mini-moto riding taught me a massive amount about braking and how to improve drive out of corners
- Riding with a colleague who is a nutter. He taught me a massive amount without knowing it. He rode a GSXR1000 at 9/10ths and I managed to keep up with him just about. I was riding at 11/10ths and after a few mistakes I slowed down and really progressed.

When I ride on the track I will always be aware of what I'm doing..
- First, learn where the track goes and make a mental note of which corners are key to a fast time (Redgate, Coppice, Chicane, Goddards)
- Estimate the correct gears for each corner
- Learn the natural lines of the course
- Keep the lines consistent and work out braking markers
- On the next lap go past your braking marker by an uncomfortable amount and brake harder (you will find yourself braking too much)
- Next lap push the braking marker back even further - now it is right.
***This is about 3 sessions in now***
- Re-work lines to gain better drive out of the important corners
- Brake later, accelerate sooner, accelerate faster.

The aim is to spend as little time in a corner as possible :)

Believe it or not this is what I do..
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

yeah, I have a habit of going to a track day and going banzai from minute 1 to get the most out of the day. ahhahaah. I know I should do it slowly to progress, but as I don't do them frequently enough I just get carried away with enjoying myself and not improving.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I do to a point but I always start slow and build up through the day then slow down for the last session or two so I don't make a mistake from being tired
Blade

Post by Blade »

Some good points and info cheers for sharing Cav.

Only problem is I lack BALLS (blush)
Cav

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:Some good points and info cheers for sharing Cav.

Only problem is I lack BALLS (blush)
You might want to ask your wife for them back...

**Shots Fired** ;)
Blade

Post by Blade »

I'll get her to spit them out ;)
Cav

Post by Cav »

I bet she has good levels or protein (y)
Blade

Post by Blade »

6 portions a day :P
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I don't think Chris walker is running anymore. It's a good day but I think there are better. CSS is bloody expensive IMO. I think I'd approach someone to do one to one tbh.

1:41 or 1:37.. Bloody quick as far as I'm concerned. Unless your going to go proper racing I don't see how css is worth it.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I have done various race schools, with the following comments.

1) 1st one I did was the Ron Haslam school, you have to start with the cbr600, this was at Silverstone, it has obvioulsy moved back to Donny now. It was a lot of fun, and being a newbie to tracks in general I learnt a lot. Well quiet a bit ha ha. Good instruction and good feedback and a deccent amount of time on the bike on track.
I did it again this time on the CBR1000 which was a little more intense and more one on one instruction which was a great deal of fun.
As everyone else has said, being quick already I dont see you getting much benefit from this kind of school.

We did have a Tank slap Chris Walker outing, which was fun, but I think most has been said about that already, so nothing more to add from me.

I have used the instructors on my track days with BBS when we go to Spain, its free and you can use them as much as you like, its one to one and the feedback and encouragement is fantastic. Ok you have to be on the BBS track day for this, but over two / three days using these guys really is great experience. I am never going to be Mr Super fast racer, but I enjoy the fact that each time I go out I have improved some aspect of my bike control and ability and possibly grown some gonads lol....

Saying that, It seems that most if not all track day companies have instructors you can use for free, unless its with a well know celeb, which you have to pay for.

And lastly one to one tuition is available from various racers and ex-racers, you pay for their time on a normal track day. I have seen a lot of people advertising these services around and about.

Not sure if that helps any ;)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

First thing I do on any track day is check out when the cafe opens