What did you do to your bike today ??

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by D6Nutz »

Rossgo wrote:I'm fairly certain I did it right but I need to do it again and again I think to get it to a stage of being able to do it by myself confidently. Lifting the bike up onto rear wheel using the long lifting arm is very easy but attaching the bike up to the stand i found very difficult without help and then lifting the front wheel up I rrally struggled with it!

I need to do it again I think

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Did you watch the video on the abba site? Forget the monkeys on YouTube!

First I would forget the front wheel lift and just get used to the main stand.

Put the bike on the side stand and secure the abba stand on both sides. Make sure the abba stand is tightened securely so it doesn't move at all and the ground is as flat as possible.

Extend the handle of the abba stand with your right hand and hold the bike handlebar with your left, keep your body near the abba stand. Use your left hand to lift the bike off the side stand and your right hand to balance the abba stand until it is flat. At this point the bike should be stable. Now, while still near the stand take a step forward taking the handle with you and the bike should lift up gracefully onto the stand.

Now follow the video as I never had the front lift. I just used a paddock stand, I would happily climb on the bike too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

https://youtu.be/LQJPBPxpYs4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

Tidied the garage a bit this morning, only just managed to start the 999, left it too long since I took it out last.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Had a little run out today, still very cold..... Brrrrrr..... Road were mainly dry, but one word of advice, the loose tarmac that gets built up in the middle of the lanes seems to be really dodgy, let alone the build up of muck that occurs. Both of these hazards were a nightmare, really slippy.

The front and real wheels both lost traction on a few occasions.....not at the same time I pleased to say...
Nice to get out though.... time for a brew
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

duke63 wrote:Do you have the front wheel lift?
Yes I bought the stand with the lifting arm

Pic attached

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D6Nutz wrote:
Rossgo wrote:I'm fairly certain I did it right but I need to do it again and again I think to get it to a stage of being able to do it by myself confidently. Lifting the bike up onto rear wheel using the long lifting arm is very easy but attaching the bike up to the stand i found very difficult without help and then lifting the front wheel up I rrally struggled with it!

Put the bike on the side stand and secure the abba stand on both sides. Make sure the abba stand is tightened securely so it doesn't move at all and the ground is as flat as possible.

Extend the handle of the abba stand with your right hand and hold the bike handlebar with your left, keep your body near the abba stand. Use your left hand to lift the bike off the side stand and your right hand to balance the abba stand until it is flat. At this point the bike should be stable. Now, while still near the stand take a step forward taking the handle with you and the bike should lift up gracefully onto the stand.

Now follow the video as I never had the front lift. I just used a paddock stand, I would happily climb on the bike too.

Cheers for the help Nutz. It's crazy as everyone says how easy it is. I am popping it back up on the stand tomorrow so I'll take my time and go through it. I have bought the one with the lifting arm (lift the front wheel by lifting the rear up)

How tight did you have to twist the locking pin that attaches to the swinging arm pivot point? I had to use an attachment to lever it tighter on the second time around as hand tight wasn't good enough

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Just looking at the photo, what as the tow bars on the horizontal ? also is that frame the wrong way around? the should the dog leg not be to the back, so when you pull the bike up it then rests on it?

PS >>>> Why is the bike all pixels - whats it done wrong lol
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

The horizontal one is to lift the front wheel - although I couldn't get that any further out to make the base bigger. The pixels was to make the stand pop out plus to make the image smaller to post up as editing a pic seems to compress the pic too. I'll have a play about today

I've watched a few videos now and everyone and his dog and do it by themselves. When its aligned I can pick the bike up but the lining of it is really tough to start with!!

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Rossgo wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:

Cheers for the help Nutz. It's crazy as everyone says how easy it is. I am popping it back up on the stand tomorrow so I'll take my time and go through it. I have bought the one with the lifting arm (lift the front wheel by lifting the rear up)

How tight did you have to twist the locking pin that attaches to the swinging arm pivot point? I had to use an attachment to lever it tighter on the second time around as hand tight wasn't good enough

No where near "tight". The screw in the box section was obviously tight, but the locking pin only ever got a couple of turns by hand. There was never any flexing of the stand or bike.

Are you sure you've got the correct fitting kit?

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D6Nutz wrote:
Rossgo wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:Did you watch the video on the abba site? Forget the monkeys on YouTube!

No where near "tight". The screw in the box section was obviously tight, but the locking pin only ever got a couple of turns by hand. There was never any flexing of the stand or bike.

Are you sure you've got the correct fitting kit?

Really, that's a worrh to be honest.

My fitting kit fits inside the frame (swing arm pivot points) so I would guess they are correct.

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Just watched the vid as I have never seen the front lifter item before. Something you have can't be right if your having so much trouble. Possible the bike specific mounts are wrong ?
Oh yes sorry I was mistaken on which way around it should be, not used mine for a while ha ha. Your are correct with its orientation.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Stupid question, but are you sure you're putting it in the right hole?

Get your misses to check (giggle)

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I am sure it's something I have done. I will defo play with it today and hopefully come back with results. I will let you guys know

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I hope I am....either way she's been happy for 12 years haha!!

I'm sure I am as there is only 2 holes that the fittings fit into

Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Rossgo something clearly isnt right as it's the simplest and most user friendly one person stand on the market. But dont worry, we will get to the bottom if it.

I would take both of the bike specific adapters out of the stand and offer them up to the bike swing arm pivot points to check you have the correct bike adapters. They should be a nice snug fit, but not too tight as the bike rotates on them when you lift it.

Then put each adapter into the corresponding side of the stand. Dont get them mixed up at this point.

Now attach the stand to the bike, without the 2 front stand supporting bars inserted at this point. Screw the adapters in, just past hand tight until you see the stand arms slightly deflect outwards, i.e the distance between the 2 vertical arms of the stand become slightly wider apart at the top than they are at the bottom. Stop tightening at this point. Any further tightening from now will not achieve anything except further deflection of the vertical arms which you dont want and wont help you.

Now try and pull the stand back and too, perpendicular to the bike. There should be very little, ie. next to no movement or free play in the stand now. If this is the case you know its fitted correctly. If it isnt do not attempt to lift the bike. Go back over the above steps and find the problem.

Now position the bike upright with one hand, and when in the fully upright position use you other hand on the extended lever to pull the stand forward until it rests on the 2 tiny lower supporting arms and the bikes back wheel is of the floor.

Bike is secure and safe now. If it isnt you've done something wrong so repeat the above and work out where it's gone wrong.

Finally if you wish to lift the front wheel. Fit the 2 supporting bars into the front lift slider block located on the bottom horizontal bar of the main stand and secure. One secure then use the ratchet strap on the swing arm to pull the rear wheel downwards to lift the front wheel.

Couldnt be simpler (lol)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

To everyone who has helped with this especially Nutz and Blade with great guides

Today I had a good play with the stand

I wont through it slowly and methodically and realised last time I popped it up in a rush and as a result found a number of issues last time

I couldn't agree more the stand is a pleasure to use. The bike felt firm and the equipment felt solid..so much so that I have now popped my old paddock stands down the dump to scrap metal collection! I see no reason to hold onto old generation stands now

The only issue I have found with the stand refers to the lifting arm and in particular the lifting strap. Very strong strap but when you push the bike down to lift the front and pull on the strap at the same time the strap moves position...should be using the 'white double stitched cross' but it moves so instead I laid the metal buckle under the lifting arm pin (pic attached). I will order a new strap bobbin hopping that the size of it will hold the strap more firmly in place

Anyway fantastic bit of equipment so glad I picked one up now!
ImageImage

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Today tested out the ABBA Stand - brilliant bit of equipment! (See earlier post)

And tested out the Flairosol barbers spray bottle with ACF50

So friday I washed the bike fully ready for winter duties. Today I ACF50 the whole bike plus I used block grease on all the fastenings and bits and pieces. It is gleaming now!

The flairosol bottle - so I sprayed it first cold and it seemed to mist fairly well. I then warmed it up for approx 5 mins not long enough and on reflection the bottle was far too over filled - my own fault I kept pouring But I found it misted but finished off with a jet when I pulled the trigger too much. It does give too much in one spray to be honest but this could be down to a number of reasons I only had today and didn't really experiment.

Overall I will keep using it and I will learn to use it better. My bike has too much ACF50 on it at the moment. However I said that about my small oil pump bottle when I first bought that and by the end (5 years or so later ) I learned to use a smaller amount. For 6 quid I think it was well spent

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Took it off the stands, started it up, warmed it through, rode it round the block and put it away.

I do miss riding it but winter riding holds no appeal to me these days.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Fitted my hand guards and started it up, fired up on the 3rd attempt and let it idle for a few minutes, looks like a run to the coast tomorrow so it will get warmed through then.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

160 miles to Flambrough and back, even when things got slippery the bike and tyres handled it way better than expected, I was on Avon Ultra sports last winter which were quite snappy, no warning of a slide at all. This year it's Conti RA3's even when they did slide it was a non-event, lesson learned, don't skimp on rubber.

Anyway, the bike is filthy, a heated seat on a bike is NOT a silly idea and I had a great time