What are you doing today ??

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: What are you doing today ??

Post by Cav »

You know you picked a good Wife when you treat her to a present and she retaliates by buying you a GoPro Hero 8 and accessories!

Just in time for Cadwell next week too :)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:You know you picked a good Wife when you treat her to a present and she retaliates by buying you a GoPro Hero 8 and accessories!

Just in time for Cadwell next week too :)
Considering you previous post I think she picked a pretty good husband too (y)

the true test is when you have to wipe their ar$e for them while your first child is crowning and simultaneously getting sworn at and you realise your play toy is never going to be the same :D
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Cheers buddy! I try.

Haha, I've been told it's like watching your favourite pub burn down. Fingers crossed for a C-section!
Cav

Post by Cav »

It's been confirmed that our Honeymoon isn't happening. They offered a 20% incentive but we've opted for the cash refund. You have no buyer protection if you book a holiday at the minute and you know they're going to ramp the prices up at least 20% when this is all done.

Refund to our payment card please. Thanks. We'll do a cabin break in October with our doggo again, like we did our minimoon. Hopefully the Wife will be pregnant by then (o)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

disappearing up my own arse with an unachievable budget and work load in a time of errm Bollax to it all
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Started up the plant from dead last night. End of the planned shutdown. I’ve done 3 weeks solo in my new area and I had a baptism of fire, only stopped for two 10 min breaks in 12 hrs. I was crapping myself at start of shift as I’d taken in as much info from procedures, manuals, line walks and experienced Ops to do it all in ‘theory’ but it’s was a big ask and there was no back up available.

Well I didn’t fook anything up and I now have a ton more confidence in running the area. As a whole the shift group kicked arse and we had the place in export by end of shift, not normally achievable in one shift.

One of the most satisfying shifts I’ve had in the time I’ve worked out here.

Now I am buggered and need some sleep.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Went for a 20 miles-ish bicycle ride this afternoon....it's supposed to be ridiculously hot for the next 5 days ir so, so this was my only real shot at getting out for a week.
Was bored before I left. Now I'm bored & tired....can't win for trying.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Applying for an engineering trainee position, they say they want a mechanical, calibration or precision background...
I was a mechanic for 7 years, a Calibration technician for nearly 4 and built engines for a few months.

Fingers are firmly crossed.
Last edited by Stonesie on 03 Jun 2020, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Cav

Post by Cav »

My fingers are crossed for you too mate :) It sounds like you fit the ticket. Fingers crossed the ticket matches what they actually want!! Good luck
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Stonesie wrote:Applying for an engineering training role, they say they want a mechanical, calibration or precision background...
I was a mechanic for 7 years, a Calibration technician for nearly 4 and built engines for a few months.

Fingers are firmly crossed.
Good luck mate, fingers crossed for you here too.

That's something I wouldn't mind looking at post offshore life too. I quite enjoy teaching.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Good luck Stonesie
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Thanks folks, I will be the trainee not the teacher though, I could have worded that better :D
Cav

Post by Cav »

I've got a bunch of modelling and calculations to do today so I'm working from home - distraction-free until the Wife wakes up.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Chasing baby huntsmen spiders. I've no idea how they got out. Oh well, they'll deal with the flies.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

counting days till i go home...

I really wonder if I have many more years of offshore work in me. Hopefully I'll feel better for a good break at home this time. In the last 10 weeks I've had 17 days at home and 14 of them were in isolation. Plus this trip we have been getting flogged with the shutdown, maintenance campaign and subsequent start up. This is also my first full 3 weeks offshore in 2 yrs (prior to surgery) and I did a week of quarantine as well. think i'm just worn out.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Sounds like physical and mental exhaustion to me mate.. hopefully some proper rest and a Thruxton purchase will see you right.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You've been through the mill mate. Sounds like you need a weekend of debauchery to blow out.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:Sounds like physical and mental exhaustion to me mate.. hopefully some proper rest and a Thruxton purchase will see you right.
oh good point, gotta go check the share price and see if it's sell time (lol)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

kiwikrasher wrote:counting days till i go home...

I really wonder if I have many more years of offshore work in me. Hopefully I'll feel better for a good break at home this time. In the last 10 weeks I've had 17 days at home and 14 of them were in isolation. Plus this trip we have been getting flogged with the shutdown, maintenance campaign and subsequent start up. This is also my first full 3 weeks offshore in 2 yrs (prior to surgery) and I did a week of quarantine as well. think i'm just worn out.
With all the shit you have had thrown at you over the last year, its not surprising you feel that way.

Life is short, do what you think is right for yourself and your family, no one else is important.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

duke63 wrote:[ith all the shit you have had thrown at you over the last year, its not surprising you feel that way.

Life is short, do what you think is right for yourself and your family, no one else is important.
My new nickname at work is "Master of Disaster", affectionately given to me by an Irish Mechie :D

I've been looking at business opportunities back home to do something I enjoy, and have some flexibility around the kids. My biggest problem is while I don't overly enjoy this job and being away, it works very well with custody, as I'm at work when I don't have them and full time stay at home dad when I do have them. So this job is actually very good for the kids.

And of course the money is a bit of golden handcuffs, though I have to give a fair portion away to the ex. I'll probably see the life of this field out and do decommissioning which would give me 3-5 yrs more work, but I'm definitely going to use that time to see if i can find something that I'll enjoy more and stay on dry land.

I recently had an offer to work at as a Gin Distiller which would see me working with a close mate I used to work with at the refinery, but the money is half of what I'm on now and 3 hrs travel a day. It was also split shifts so some days leaving home at 4 am and the kids having to get themselves to school and other days getting home at 11pm which leaves no one for the kids in the evenings. Just not viable.