Jeremy Corbyn

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Jeremy Corbyn

Post by Kwacky »

I see the press are having a field day ripping into him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34209478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like he's got a job getting the labour party back into shape, but that's no surprise given how many are Blairites.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Jeremy Corbyn

Post by duke63 »

I think that was inevitable.

If you challenge the status quo and particularly big business and the wealthiest people then they will use every tool available to defeat you.

There are many good policies there and many i don't either agree with or think will even work.

Did you know he was brought up near Newport in Shropshire next to the A41?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Im not a labour voter but good luck to him ,I really hope he stirs up the establishment and ruffles a few feathers
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I think he will last a year tops.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I haven't been this excited about british politics since 97 and we all know how well that went (giggle)

Plus I had a bet on Corbyn, so that's another £525 in my bike fund
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Monty

Post by Monty »

C00kiemonster wrote:I think he will last a year tops.
In someways that really wouldn't matter and not what this is all about, I'm not even certain Corbyn wants to be PM. It's about changing the Labour Party, British politics and if we are very lucky the media too.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I had a chat about this yesterday with a client.

He was saying how regardless of what happens in the future, it was a huge kick in the face for the spin doctors and media as for once they were unable to change the result through bullshit spin.
You would hope also that maybe it will mean that those in Parliamnent make actually start to listen to their local electorate and represent them rather than anybody who might pay them money whatever side of the wall they are on.

I don't think the Labour Party can get rid of him before the next election anyway as they changed the way the leader is elected.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Corbyn was 1000-1 according to the bookies when he announced his intention to go for leadership.

Had the press left him alone I doubt we would have heard from him again.

The way he's being attacked is giving him support.

I love the latest from the Sun, which clearly was written by someone who has never had kids

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... rsery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's bloody cheap.
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

Cheap shot by the press or cheap school fees?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Both, IMO
Monty

Post by Monty »

Change is definitely in the air.

Listen to this interview with Priti Patel spewing the the party line. Pretty much sums them all up and I don't mean just the Tories.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/how-not-to-react-t ... win-116125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

He's being villified by the press and the Tory party, but from what I can see it's just making his position stronger. People are tired of plastic politicians and a complete lack of personality outside of their script, that said there's a lot of people out there that actually believe what the gutter press print and have a 24hr memory when it comes to manifesto's (printed by the gutter press iirc).

Whatever Jeremy Corbyn does from here he has already reinvigorated the Labour Party, whatever you think about that you have to admit that an efficient Opposition in Parliament in an essential for honest governance from the party in power.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

To be honest i suspect he will split the Labour party in two just as Michael Foot did all those years ago.

The biggest hole in all of Corbyn's policies is where will all the money needed for his manifesto come from? You can't tax the richest more as they will just feck off to live somewhere else. Which either means you have to print it, which gives raging inflation and high interest rates or you and I will have to pay for it all with high basic taxes.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

He's not going with Trident and the HS2. So that's a saving. Plus he's not going to jjoin in with overseas conflicts, so that's another saving.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

But the amount we would spend on Trident's replacement is about one years deficit total now.

£100 billion.

It still doesn't even come close to adding up.

And quite how you can nationalise the utility companies when many are now under foreign ownership and in any case you would have to buy much of your gas and electricity from abroad anyway so would have to pay market prices.

All well intentioned I'm sure but i can guarantee us in the middle would end up paying for it all.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:To be honest i suspect he will split the Labour party in two .......
I wonder if he will re-create the old 3 part political split;
Conservatives - Right
Liberals - Center
Labour - Left

Where it seems that the lines have been becoming "increasingly blurred" in recent times.

I don't agree with many of JC's stated intentions, but at least he seems to be more interested in outlining his views, rather than just pandering to public opinion.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Took him a whole three days to lose the next election by the looks of his actions yesterday.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:Took him a whole three days to lose the next election by the looks of his actions yesterday.
Doesn't look impressive does it.
On top of that "his party" is counter-stating almost every statement that he makes, effectively undermining him at any opportunity.?

After the long leadership battle, and then all the work associated with having won, I would expect him to ideally require something of a break to re-charge himself. Otherwise I foresee him resigning his post shortly "for health reasons".

PMQ's today may be very telling.: A prepp'd & eager young Cameron -vs- a tired old Corbyn who will have had very little opportunity to think the confrontation through, & who will presumably have far fewer eager minds behind the scenes working studiously for him on the subjects.

First impressions last.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Those who fought in World War 2 fought for the right of freedom and to avoid being oppressed.

Corbyn exercised that right yesterday not to sing the national anthem. The irony of him being told he was wrong for doing what he thought was right is not lost on me.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I don't disagree with that point but when you want to lead the Country then I think you sometimes have to compromise your own principals as you will be representing the whole Country if you are elected so.

His actions yesterday almost certainly lost him any election, not just on that point but also failing to recognise that giving benefits ad hoc without limits does no one any favours, least of all those claiming them.