job interview

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Perkles
Your Bike:

job interview

Post by Perkles »

I have worked at the same company for 20 years and gone from the shop floor to sales manager with a good degree of success.I used to love my job but now hate every minute of being there and after much soul searching decided i have to move on as its making my life miserable.I have been given a steer on a very good field based role for a major manufacturer and have an interview this week.
So my question is any tips on interview techniques ,after twenty years i am stuck in my ways and havent had an interview for as long as I can remember (sweat)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Re: job interview

Post by Monty »

Relax, listen, speak clearly and if they ask you to try and sell them a paper clip or any other random item on the desk tell them to stick it! (rolf)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Monty

Post by Monty »

I do sales interview coaching if you're interested (rolf)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I always try and get talking about something they have an interest in. A good friendly conversation seems to do wonders. I was talking about running and rugby for my current job.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

im used to sitting in front of people i have only just met and talking because thats my job,i just dont know what to expect in a modern day job interview.If they ask for powerpoint presentation they can fook off :P
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

As above really plus I would say do a little research on the company you are applying for. Knowledge of their structure, how they operate and how you would fit in etc.
Good luck!
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

DaytonAndy wrote:As above really plus I would say do a little research on the company you are applying for. Knowledge of their structure, how they operate and how you would fit in etc.
Good luck!
I agree so ive done my homework on the company as much as i can get from the net ,they operate a heavy industries arm and also make the motorcycle I ride :)
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Also have a photo of their loved one, and issue an ultimatum
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

to be honest i am a bit nervous but will go with a positive outlook
Monty

Post by Monty »

Just think about it as just another meeting as confidence (not cockiness) goes a long way in our world.

If they're interviewing you they already know you can do the job and the interview is more about do they want to work with you. Which works both ways.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Good luck with the interview sure your be fine
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I think all the major points have been mentioned already, the key here is to be yourself, dont give any bull. Know the role they want from you and be ready on how you intend approach it. Know them and, know their competition and where they fit into the market place.

If its a first interview it is really a "who is this guy" type of meeting, the power points and other such sales presentations may or may not come in coming interviews.

As you have been in sales and held senior roles you don't really need anyone to tell you what to do, you already do it without even thinking, its is only now where you are having to think about it, you may have got to the overthinking stage - DONT! You know what you are doing your a professional, relax and enjoy the meeting as you would with any new potential client.

Dont forget you have two ears and one mouth for a reason ;)

Once you have got the job, then give me a call if they are looking for someone in the home counties / London Region. (fact) (call)

Key - RELAX.

Good luck mate. :)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:
DaytonAndy wrote:As above really plus I would say do a little research on the company you are applying for. Knowledge of their structure, how they operate and how you would fit in etc.
Good luck!
I agree so ive done my homework on the company as much as i can get from the net ,they operate a heavy industries arm and also make the motorcycle I ride :)
Only advice I can give you is beg, grovel and do whatever is necessary including working for free, but don't leave there without a job offer (giggle)

What an awesome opportunity. Go for it Andy I wish you all the best and hope you get it (y)

All joiking aside if you have done your research and feel positive and confident there is not alot more you can do.

One little tip I can offer from my own experience is tell them how much you want this particular job, your looking at others but this is the one you really want and your very motivated to work for the company.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Don't tell them you are fed up with your current job and what to move on.

Do tell them you have worked for the same company for twenty years but saw this job advertised and it seemed the ideal opportunity for you.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Yes I agree it's a tough question to answer why I am leaving a successful and very stable job after so long
Monty

Post by Monty »

Frankie wrote: Dont forget you have two ears and one mouth for a reason ;)

Key - RELAX.
^that, exactly that!

I always end the interview with a question and ask them directly if there is anything they had seen in the interview that they had any reservations about. If they do it gives you the opertunity to address them there and then.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

Just do it like this and you'll be laughing...

http://youtu.be/OwDmg74rhCw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Monty wrote:
I always end the interview with a question and ask them directly if there is anything they had seen in the interview that they had any reservations about. If they do it gives you the opertunity to address them there and then.
Agreed, plus if they ask "Is there anything else you think we ought to know or like to add?" Tell them that you hope you've made it clear how much you want the opportunity to work for their company and how qualified you are for the job.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:Yes I agree it's a tough question to answer why I am leaving a successful and very stable job after so long
Always good to go for a positive, like, you've been really happy but fell it's time for a change and a fresh challenge. Corny but a good line.

Don't underestimate posture. Sit tall, don't slouch in the chair, don't cross your arms, smile, and try to maintain eye contact. All of that can make the interviewer fell a but more relaxed.

Try to think up some positives as to how your experience can help the company, should they choose to employ you.

I'm going to be practicing all of that myself, as I also have an interview tomorrow mate.

Good luck, stay positive and I'm sure you'll smash it.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Oh, and don't get trollied the night before, says he sitting down the local boozer with a beer in hand (blush)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti