King Of Brands wins £50,000

Professional and amateur racing chat and results WARNING - MAY CONTAIN RACE RESULTS
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

King Of Brands wins £50,000

Post by Blade »

A unique twist has been added to the usual MCE BSB weekend format that will see the 'MCE BSB Monster Energy King of Brands' crowned following the second race on Sunday. As the riders form up on the grid, the top three starters will be given the choice to either take up their positions, or alternatively line up on the final row. Should they elect to sacrifice their front row slot, their challenge will be to charge from last to first and replicate Neil Hodgson's famous achievement from Oulton Park during the 2000 season.

The highest placed 'MCE BSB - Monster Energy King of Brands' contender will receive a specially commissioned trophy but, more significantly, should they win the race they will receive a total £50,000 cash prize. Second position would be rewarded with £25,000, and third place with £10,000. Only the leading rider will be eligible to win a top-three bonus, but any rider that accepts the challenge will receive £5,000, regardless of success.

Jonathan Palmer, Chief Executive of series organiser MSV commented: “I think the entertainment is second to none. The teams are great, the riders are so skilful, and the people in the series are good sports as well. That’s why we felt this was something worth doing. We haven’t introduced this without canvassing the teams though, and if they weren’t keen, we wouldn’t have done it; BSB is very much a partnership. But the reaction from them was to be as excited as us!”

Hodgson, the last rider to win an MCE British Superbike Championship race from the back row of the grid, added: "I would do it all over again; in fact I should make a comeback! The strongest riders in the race are usually the three starting on the front row so they should all do it in my opinion and I will be watching to see who takes up the challenge - if they don't I will be disappointed as I would give it a go, because as I said, it is definitely possible to go from last to first!"
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: King Of Brands wins £50,000

Post by Kwacky »

Hmm, not sure about this one. If you're going to reverse the grid then do it properly.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Sounds like they are trying to drum up some interest in it.

They ought to just bite the bullet and bring the WSBK weekend back to Brands. Best bike events ever they were.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

If you were well off the points lead and made the front row it'd be worth a crack but if you were in a shot of the championship a bit of prize money wouldn't be worth the risk IMO.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

As they have a showdown system I reckon some of the top runners might go for this as people like shakey are already definitely in the showdown and apart from podium credits everyone in the top six is put on 500 points for the last three rounds anyway. £50000 is aloy of prize money and its a challenge some may be attracted to too for the accolade of achieving such regardless if the money.