Warning about fuel station thefts.

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Warning about fuel station thefts.

Post by duke63 »

Apparently the latest problem in London is bikers going in to pay for the fuel they have just put in the tank, only to come back and find the bike gone with a couple of scumbags seen pushing it up the road via one of the scumbags pushing it with his foot from the scooter he is riding.

Make sure you put your steering lock on as this stops them doing it.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Re: Warning about fuel station thefts.

Post by D6 »

Quite a neat trick though. Must have good balance skills.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I once broke down on a rental bike about 5 miles down a track into the Malaysian rainforest and got a foot push back off a local bloke on a scooter. He had his wife on there holding a baby and two toddlers on the front. Just wish I'd managed to get a photo.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

(rock) Hat of to you Monty you have done some amazing things . That and I'm sure many other things on your road trip adventure will be great stories to tell the grand kids (y)
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

duke63 wrote: bikers going in to pay for the fuel they have just put in the tank, only to come back and find the bike gone .
Stories like this and the helmet war is one of the reasons why I've started paying at the pump
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I always pay at the pump if I can.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

What makes it unbelievable is petrol stations are generally busy places, not one person has gone over and stopped them pushing a motorbike with their foot! I generally believe people nowadays will accept anything as long as it's not affecting them. I'm quiet a snob for petrol stations as I go to my local BP as the staff recognise me (don't know my name but recognise my face/ kit if on bike) and I have realised that the majority of them stare at pump 1 as it's beside the road. I believe they would be the first to realise something happening so I'm sure would say something. At many of the others locally they can't see all pumps and in all honesty wouldn't actually care as long as they get the money for the fuel.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm robbed each time I use a petrol station.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Total rip of merchant's aren't they!!
Blade

Post by Blade »

Thing is Rossgo it happens that quick although someone my see it happen they will have zero time to react, especially the staff who cannot realistically leave the shop unattended.

I think the best advice is pay at the pump which I never normally do but will consider doing now especially in busy places.

Never been worried about the biking being nicked at the filling stations previously but always reluctant to leave my gloves or sat nav on the bike when I go in the shop.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Very true with how quick it all happens. I went to the NEC a couple years ago and there was a stand of how thieves nab bikes. Amazing how they do it with a scooter. I must admit I always leave my gloves on the yoke whenever I fill up and pay. I do always have a doubt at the back of my head.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Take them in with you Rossgo, its just not worth the risk and gloves are expensive.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Think I shall from now on Blade! And yes totally agree it's surprising how much gloves are bearing in mind only one generation ago our dad's would of rode with naff all gear and equipment!
Blade

Post by Blade »

Safety has come on leaps and bounds even in recent years but massively in the last 20 years and gladly so.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:Safety has come on leaps and bounds even in recent years but massively in the last 20 years and gladly so.
I shudder when I think about what I wore on my first bike.. jeans, combat boots, a surplus store jacket and no gloves. I did have a second hand helmet that was about 2 sizes too big, so I was safe as houses (facepalm) Glad I got better gear before I started my falling off career. In defence that was 28 years ago!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

It used to be a cheap form of transport for the majority of people I guess so safety wasn't really a priority...it certainly wasn't for this man

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=of ... yz3TprM%3A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haha!!
Blade

Post by Blade »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Blade wrote:Safety has come on leaps and bounds even in recent years but massively in the last 20 years and gladly so.
I shudder when I think about what I wore on my first bike.. jeans, combat boots, a surplus store jacket and no gloves. I did have a second hand helmet that was about 2 sizes too big, so I was safe as houses (facepalm) Glad I got better gear before I started my falling off career. In defence that was 28 years ago!
Ha-ha. Snap kiwi I can relate to all of that as so similar to my first experience of motorcycling.

I wore a god knows how old second hand fibre glass helemt for year's. Can't believe my parents let me wear such crap and my dad was a biker. If my kids ever asked the same I would throw that helemt in the skip and buy them some decent kit. How times have changed, and for the better I might add.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

kiwikrasher wrote:
I remember having an open face helmet, jean jacket, and leather work gloves. Hadn't thought about that in years until you mentioned your memory. Thanks for the flashback KK (handshake)
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".