General Election 2019?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: General Election 2019?

Post by C00kiemonster »

My view on this election is to change up the whole thing. Labour and Torys need to be removed from office. All of them.

The big Tory angle is 'dont vote in Jeremy Corbyn' I agree with that, but the Torys are corrupt imo.

Lets start again.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

C00kiemonster wrote:
duke63 wrote:Past caring. **** the lot of them.

Britain might have shut down completely by then.
Maybe so, but there is an opportunity to all vote for or against Brexit. Lib Dems are at least saying stop Brexit - i hope people vote away from Tory and Labour tbh. Both are useless.

Its been a very tough few weeks.
Work - drying up
Police when locals need them? - Non existent.
NHS - Insufficient staff to provide proper care to the seriously sick and old.
Trains - Don't run because of insufficient staff due to half term.

Britain is in serious trouble.

I don't see anyone out there representing my views at the moment. My vote will make zero difference anyway as its a safe Tory Brexit voting constituency.
Even worse is the fact my MP is the spineless streak of piss that is Gavin Williamson, who cried in public because he was caught shagging his secretary.

I think my vote will either be Green or a spoiled paper.

Conservative
Gavin Williamson Votes 35,656 header_vote_share 69.8 Net percentage change in seats +10.3
Party

Labour
Adam Freeman Votes 12,923 header_vote_share 25.3 Net percentage change in seats +6.9
Party

Liberal Democrat
Hilary Myers Votes 1,348 header_vote_share 2.6 Net percentage change in seats -0.3
Party

Green Party
Claire McIlvenna Votes 1,182 header_vote_share 2.3 Net percentage change in seats -0.3
duke63

Post by duke63 »

A vote for Johnson is a vote to make yourself poorer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50219036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

duke63 wrote:Image
Thought it was down to the labour party using crap materials for the buildings. Nothing to do with the services. Also the buildings advice was to stay put which residents did, I believe it wasn't the fire service protocol as I think they say to emergency evacuate and that's what will be out in place from now on

Also I believe fire departments were closed but they were made into bigger more stand the test of time stations. So our smaller ones we used to have in our little villages were shut and were rehomed at a bigger one in a bigger town eg super station.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Rossgo wrote:16 year olds the vote, how messed up can that be! Seriously they aren't even adults. People pick and choose what they want to see but they are kids let them be kids. They don't want that on their shoulders. A quick google suggest that S. American countries let their children vote at 16 excluding 2 British island's.

Why do you guys want 16yo to vote? They would be in GCSE year and you want them to get caught up in all that crap as well as their exams...you mad?!
Kwacky wrote:Changing the age and EU residents is off the agenda.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cav wrote:
Also, I feel like by this point we may as well continue with Brexsh!t seeing as a lot of damage is already done and it would be a shame to have gone through this in vain
That's what the Tories will rely on. Their campaign will simply be "Get Brexit Done".

A government report published this morning says that we'll be £70bn a year worse off under Brexit.

Another government report says that it'll take 6 years to resolve brexit.

People can't seem to grasp that not only is Johnson's deal worse than May's, it's only the start. It does not resolve Brexit, it simply starts the process.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I fully appreciate that leaving the EU is a starting point but I hate what it's done to the country already. If there was a credible option for achieving a Brexit I would vote for then I would vote for it to be honest.

With that being said, I don't see a viable option to serve that purpose.

To be honest, I don't see a viable option as it stands and I'll have to dig out manifestos and see what each of them stand for regarding NHS, Police and Brexit. The rest of it is 2nd tier priority to me currently.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rossgo wrote:
Thought it was down to the labour party using crap materials for the buildings. Nothing to do with the services. Also the buildings advice was to stay put which residents did, I believe it wasn't the fire service protocol as I think they say to emergency evacuate and that's what will be out in place from now on
Where did you hear that crap?

Leaked emails seen by The Times reportedly show that Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO), who managed the building on the council's behalf, saved £293,000 by downgrading the material used to clad the 1970s tower.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -exteriors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rs-in-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The advice to remain in the flats was standard practice at the time.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:
Rossgo wrote:16 year olds the vote, how messed up can that be! Seriously they aren't even adults. People pick and choose what they want to see but they are kids let them be kids. They don't want that on their shoulders. A quick google suggest that S. American countries let their children vote at 16 excluding 2 British island's.

Why do you guys want 16yo to vote? They would be in GCSE year and you want them to get caught up in all that crap as well as their exams...you mad?!
Kwacky wrote:Changing the age and EU residents is off the agenda.
Kwacky that wasn't directed at you in particular it was a general question to all.

I don't understand how people think it's acceptable to allow children to get involved into voting when they have stress of their exams to be dealing with. Then they have uni placements or college placements they need to be finding. (School leaving age now 18yo). They are still children with no hope in hell to understand what's going on inside jobs, NHS, police etc

Just don't understand how it even reached the agenda and what makes it more scary is how long does it stay off the agenda for!

Also glad it is off the table at end of day it really needs to be

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I don't support the reduction on the voting age, I'm just reporting what's happening.

There was a proposal by the LibDems and the SNP for an amendment to have the voting age reduced. The Speaker decided it was not suitable to vote on so it was dismissed as an idea. Anyone can bring it back at a later date but I don't see there being much support for it.

18 is fine. I don't see any reason to change it.

I don't think voting is stressful and there (should be) a general election every 4 or 5 years so even if they reduce the age to 16 I don't think it's going to make any difference to the numbers. Most reports show that younger voters don't tend to bother anyway.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:
Rossgo wrote:
Where did you hear that crap?

Leaked emails seen by The Times reportedly show that Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO), who managed the building on the council's behalf, saved £293,000 by downgrading the material used to clad the 1970s tower.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -exteriors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rs-in-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The advice to remain in the flats was standard practice at the time.
It was big headline news that it was. A labour person that gave the go ahead on using crap materials in the building. Also they spent however much revamping the exterior but not the interior..

As for the fire bridge I watched the news where they said it was the buildings advice to stay inside the flats due to the materials used eg being safer to stay inside but now the fire service will say for them to evacuate and make that standard practice.

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:I don't support the reduction on the voting age, I'm just reporting what's happening.

There was a proposal by the LibDems and the SNP for an amendment to have the voting age reduced. The Speaker decided it was not suitable to vote on so it was dismissed as an idea. Anyone can bring it back at a later date but I don't see there being much support for it.

18 is fine. I don't see any reason to change it.

I don't think voting is stressful and there (should be) a general election every 4 or 5 years so even if they reduce the age to 16 I don't think it's going to make any difference to the numbers. Most reports show that younger voters don't tend to bother anyway.
Sorry Kwacky it wasn't an attack on you I see you were just stating what was happening. I agree I think 18 is the best age really as they are legally an adult

Personally I do believe it is stressful for a child and indeed an adult to vote. Look at how much grief and stress it has put the whole country into having a very simple vote (to leave or not to leave!) Image

However I do agree it wouldn't make a blind amount of difference, when I was 16 I was enjoying days out in London with mates, jumping the train, sneaking into free viewings at the cinema etc etc Image

Cav

Post by Cav »

FWIW I was overwhelmed when I voted at 18 as it was a very difficult age for me.. dropping to 16 would mean that more voters would feel how I did and I don't see that as beneficial.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

A school friend of mine is a firefighter. Him and his mates were pissed off at the cuts being made - they're very much under pressure and under staffed. He says the attacks on the fireservice for the job they did at Grenfell has caused a few people to leave the service.

I don't think they were helped when the Fire Commissioner for the areas said she wouldn't have changed anything when the advice to remain inside was clearly wrong. (facepalm)
Cav

Post by Cav »

The advice was only wrong because the cladding was insufficient. Better cladding and the advice was right. I believe at the time not many people realised the cladding was insufficient
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

So we really arent all that dissimilar on views here on this subject as its fact

I know the south isn't too bad. My friend works for the fire service and directs the teams all over the South maybe London as well (I know up to Slough at least) it's not that busy. She has friends in the police and that's just a nightmare, that's 1 place they should never cut. They are extremely understaffed and in need of massive change. However the issue with fire is apprently they are an aging service. It's mainly guys who have done it for 20 years, so when people leave it's not much of a surprise it's because they have seen so many changes it's not how it once was. I can't fault that view.

Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

What worries me is this General election will largely centre on Brexit imo. But there are many other issues in this country other than Brexit and combining the two is only clouding the process. People may have different views locally, nationally and regards Brexit.

Also you could vote for your MP to get Brexit delivered but then your MP could be a rebel and not follow the party line. So what do you do? vote for the rebel and hope he is whipped into line or vote on the basis he will remain a rebel and you risk a party coming into power you dont support.

Also the referendum was a result declared where each person had an equal vote. Voting on Brexit in a GE without even worrying what any rebels may do, is voting for a seat in Parliament and due to constituency sizes varying massively is a hugely different set of rules. This is all but a referendum on Brexit imo but with massively different rules.

Then you have to ask if remain loose again, will they just say fair fight we accept the outcome and we can move on ? I have little confidence that will happen.

This might be the only way forward but it's looking like an even bigger mess to me and a solution for everyone to be happy and the division healed looks even less likely than ever imo.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I agree Blade.

I do get the impression though that Remain accept that this is the last chance saloon.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:I agree Blade.

I do get the impression though that Remain accept that this is the last chance saloon.
Tbh mate, I would expect both sides and everyone in between are feeling like that right now(facepalm)