Is it an age thing?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Is it an age thing?

Post by T.C. »

This is probably a question that can only be answered by someone in their 60's, or older than me (late 50's), I don't know, hence I thought I would ask the question.

I have always by and large been quite mild mannered and it usually takes a lot to wind me up before I let fly, but once the blue touch paper has been lit it is usually a case of stand back as I blow my top, (which very few people have ever seen) after which it is forgotten, no grudges and I carry on.

I have always (and still do) try to and have been prepared to help out wherever I can, and I have always tried to look at the funny side of things or find humour in 99% of situations.

This is different to having a difference of opinion, or an argument or debate as we all have different views, I am on about really being wound up.

But over the past 12 - 18 months, I have noticed that I really am becoming less tolerant of people, things or circumstances. I have lost count of the number of times I have been seething and really had to bite my lip or I have had a pop at someone because they have come out with total garbage.

A few people have commented that my reaction has sometimes surprised them, It is only when I think back I realise that maybe I was a bit off...

I used to think said someone who spouted garbage was just a tosspot and then move on. Now I think what a total w@nker and it festers with me and simmers below the waterline.

Is that just me or is it an age thing? And don't mention the male menopause. Not interested.... ;) (yawn)
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Is it an age thing?

Post by duke63 »

I think it is an age thing.

As you get older you have more experience of life in general and you have had more opportunity to see how people doing stupid things can end up.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I'm 50....and I don't get pissed off very easily. I figure I'll be the only one upset and the numbnuts STILL won't care.

But yes...I too used to walk two miles to school through the snow every day.

Uphill.

Both ways!!
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I've definitely become more likely to voice my opinions and frankly not give a sh!t what people think as I've got older. However I'd say I don't get as angry or frustrated as I did as a youngster.

I'm definitely getting old though, we had some friends (with their kids) over for dinner in Mallorca last week and was described as "The old guy in the kitchen" by a 12 year old. It hurt, but I didn't feel the need to tw@t him!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D41

Post by D41 »

(rolf) (rolf) (rolf)

Shades of Jonah Lewie??
Monty

Post by Monty »

(lol) Dab ba dab a dumb dumb!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Monty wrote:I've definitely become more likely to voice my opinions and frankly not give a sh!t what people think as I've got older. However I'd say I don't get as angry or frustrated as I did as a youngster.
...................................and was described as "The old guy in the kitchen" by a 12 year old. It hurt, but I didn't feel the need to tw@t him!

Tell your kids not to be so rude next time............ :D
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I think as you get older you see things differently, with the benefit of hindsight and perspective. All the day to day rubbish that people seem to find so important, you find isn't. That in itself is frustrating i think.

The main thing that boils my piss now is people just be unhelpful, unkind or not thinking of anyone else. Sadly i think there are more of those type of people and that must be a factor too.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm chilled. Y'all need to calm the f*ck down.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I'm calm as a dead person in 9 out of 10 situations.. in that 1 situation other people still view me as unaffected.

There are less than a handful of things that I've experienced where I feel I almost lost my sh!t - I'm more scared than anybody to lose my sh!t because I don't know what I would do; it's an actual phobia of mine.

Typically I call someone a c-nut, shake my head in disapproval, take a deep breath and move on
D41

Post by D41 »

It's."life experience", isn't it?? That, AND you become a different person over time. It'd be pretty fcukin' sad if you were the same person you were at 50 as you were at 20...it'd just mean that you learned nothing, hadn't developed.

Nostalgia is the mind's security blanket.
And you know you're old when you're more interested in the menu than the waitress' legs...
Monty

Post by Monty »

D41 wrote:And you know you're old when you're more interested in the menu than the waitress' legs...
You seem to be confusing old with dead!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D41

Post by D41 »

Look, it's twins!!!!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I have become far more tolerant as the years have accumulated. -That is not simply my (usual) conceited opinion, it has been commented on innumerate times by a good number of people.
I can only assume from that consensus that I must have become an exceptionally tolerant individual, because the alternative would suggest that I used to be exceptionally demanding & arrogant - which I'm sure can't have been the case.? (angel)

However displaying my veneer of tolerance is increasingly necessary as the attitude, ineptitude and general ignorance of individuals within our society appears to be on the increase.

Perhaps TC a contributing factor may be that our formative years were spent in a world largely controlled by the autonomous decisions of mature and experienced individuals, whilst it seems that has been replaced by youngsters simply following "systems & protocols".??

(wait)
Oh, and another recent addition to your increased annoyance factor could be down to some persistent, argumentative & blinkered little nomark on a forum you've taken to contributing to. (hi)