Incidents in london

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Incidents in london

Post by Kwacky »

Reports of the Houses of Parliament in lock down due to a stabbing or shooting and of a car on Westminster Bridge ploughing into pedestrians.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Incidents in london

Post by C00kiemonster »

Sky news looks like stabbing of policeman at gates of houses of parliament followed by the stabber being shot i think.

Also as you say - vehicle has mown down some people on the bridge and then crashed into the railings. Might be same person.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

My thoughts go out to those killed and injured and my ex colleagues in the Police service and the other emergency services caught up in events in Westminster today.

Lets hope this incident is brought to a speedy conclusion without any further loss
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Well said T.C.

Our security and emergency services are world class and should not be taken for granted.

They are talented, skilled and brave men and women working hard to keep us all save.

Thoughts and prays with those tragically taken and their families.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Awful thing to happen.

I'm not condoning these actions today in anyway however hate breeds more hate and its something the politicians of the world ought to think about before using the language we have frequently heard in the last year.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I wonder if the Tories are going to carry on reducing police numbers?
Blade

Post by Blade »

In fairness I don't think the government wants to cut Police numbers but we have huge national debt and you have to cut your cloth accordingly is the unfortunate reality.

We all moan about the cuts but few are offering to pay more tax.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

From NewsThump a satire news web site, but I couldn't agree more. Solidarity London, my second home town.
Don't give them the anger they want. Focus on the amazing job done by the public and emergency services. Don't look at the apparent carnage, look at the people rushing towards the unknown to help others. Make the story about the resilience of London and its citizens. They want your anger, they want your fury - and they want you to focus it on anyone different from you. Don't hand them an easy victory.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

T.C. wrote:My thoughts go out to those killed and injured and my ex colleagues in the Police service and the other emergency services caught up in events in Westminster today.

Lets hope this incident is brought to a speedy conclusion without any further loss
Couldn't agree more.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

One man with a knife and a hired car is hardly a threat to our democracy, despite what the Government and media would have you believe and in any case the only way you could possibly prevent such happenings is via education and turning people away from violence and hate and not by adding to it further.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I see they have raided properties on the Hagley Rd in Birmingham linked to the attack. Its education and integration that is needed for these people - still plenty of radicalisation going on sadly.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

As long as someone is prepared to sacrifice themselves in the process, there's only so much that can be done to stop something like this from occurring.....it's the price of freedom. Our AND theirs, sadly.
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:One man with a knife and a hired car is hardly a threat to our democracy, despite what the Government and media would have you believe and in any case the only way you could possibly prevent such happenings is via education and turning people away from violence and hate and not by adding to it further.
I 100% agree and perhaps more can be done on the hearts and minds front but the unfortunate truth is there will always be someone who won't change, who won't accept peace and can't be educated.

Nice idea but realistically there will always be someone willing and wanting to hurt us and our barrier from this harm is our security services who are doing a sterling job imo.
Last edited by Blade on 23 Mar 2017, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Sadly that's the truth. Some people always want to cause harm, whether it's picking a fight in a pub, domestic violence or much worse.

You can ban religion, you can ban free speech, you can ban political parties, but some people will always find a reason to harm others.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:One man with a knife and a hired car is hardly a threat to our democracy, despite what the Government and media would have you believe and in any case the only way you could possibly prevent such happenings is via education and turning people away from violence and hate and not by adding to it further.
Fwiw I totally agree with you regarding the only way we can hope to counter Islamic inspired terrorism. However perhaps the fact that "one man with a knife & a hired car" can effectively shut down the Capital shows how vulnerable we can be to this blinkered bigotry.?
Also you should consider that sadly education is intrinsically linked to ideology in the cultures where this originates, & the first cut is the deepest.

:? I wonder if Trump will now consider adding Birmingham to his list of origins that should be banned from travel to the US.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Hatred born in the womb is almost impossible if not impossible to eradicate.

If people have been raised from birth to hate us, have lost family members, are poorly educated or brain washed to despise us, how do we change their mind set. I don't think we can, I think there already lost.
D41

Post by D41 »

StMarks wrote:

:? I wonder if Trump will now consider adding Birmingham to his list of origins that should be banned from travel to the US.

Not the worst idea I've ever read.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I had a city break in London a few weeks back and one thing very obvious was the large armed police presence in the capital. I'm not taking swat teams just armed regular officers walking the beat.

I m not saying we should arm all Police but I don't see the same amount of armed officers in other major city's. Begs the question how vulnerable are Manchester and Birmingham to similar acts for example ???

The attack in Westminster was brought to a swift end by deadly force. Could attacks in other city's and land marks be dealt with as effectively ?
D41

Post by D41 »

Yes.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Blade wrote:Hatred born in the womb is almost impossible if not impossible to eradicate.

If people have been raised from birth to hate us, have lost family members, are poorly educated or brain washed to despise us, how do we change their mind set. I don't think we can, I think there already lost.
Ireland is the paradox to that. If enough people rise up against violence and hatred it can be beaten. Its not possible to beat terrorism with bombs, guns and banning orders, it will just make the problem worse.

Like has been said you can never eradicate it entirely as there is always someone with either a grudge or who feels totally alienated to the society they live in but it has to be worth a try.