Tour de Kiwi

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Tour de Kiwi

Post by Rossgo »

Very good job mate. Loved your posts it's like I've been following you with your journey and that is as close as I'll ever get to taking a biking trip in NZ so hope you enjoyed writing it as we did reading it [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
wazza675
Your Bike: '06 TRiumph Daytona 675

Post by wazza675 »

Soft...
I did 7,000km in 19 days over both islands on my own Sprint RS (that I shipped over from AUS) ....

....in 2002 when I had no real commitments.

Actually, that's really good form considering it was all solo. I'm very jealous. The bucket list continues to grow with bike tours even though I don't have a road reg bike anymore (only the 675 track bike), and I've got a wife and two young kids to also consider.
When I looked into it before my trip (in 2002), it was $230/day for a VFR800. In the end, it was actually cheaper to ship my own bike over for the 3 week trip that I did through Get Routed (regular advertiser in Aust Road Rider).
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

wazza675 wrote:Soft...
I did 7,000km in 19 days over both islands on my own Sprint RS (that I shipped over from AUS) ....

....in 2002 when I had no real commitments.

Actually, that's really good form considering it was all solo. I'm very jealous. The bucket list continues to grow with bike tours even though I don't have a road reg bike anymore (only the 675 track bike), and I've got a wife and two young kids to also consider.
When I looked into it before my trip (in 2002), it was $230/day for a VFR800. In the end, it was actually cheaper to ship my own bike over for the 3 week trip that I did through Get Routed (regular advertiser in Aust Road Rider).
Yeah Wazza I looked into Get Routed awhile ago, but this ended up being planned off the cuff with not much planning time. Plus my Daytona isn't quite on the road again yet and it was a good excuse to thrash a much better bike than I own. I would've loved to do the South as well, but I already felt guilty being away from the family for two weeks of my 5 week break at home. I'm only here for 10 days then I'm offshore again for 3 weeks. Didn't bother me being solo. Although company would've been nice at times, it was quite therapeutic having complete freedom, been a long time since that has happened. And each night I was with family or friends so I was never bored. I would ideally like to got back and ride with dad sometime once he's up to it again. I'd hire a bike again, regardless of economics, just so much easier and means you're not riding the same old bike
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
wazza675
Your Bike: '06 TRiumph Daytona 675

Post by wazza675 »

There was some stuffing around with taking my own bike - you need a Carne du Passage which basically means you leave a deposit with your state's automobile association (based on the bike's age and value and where it's being shipped, that is held until you return to stop you selling the bike OS). You also need to make sure it's spotlessly clean both ways.
The benefit is you're riding a known quantity - service requirements are known, tyre condition etc etc. It's also set up to your own requirements.

I killed a rear tyre over there and needed to have it replaced in the deep south of the South Island. I had a tyre shipped from Christchurch and met it in some sleepy town where the local bike shop (filled with trail and ag bikes) did the change for me. I also discovered that when I gave the bike some curry, it began to drink oil. One of the guys on the trip cooked a reg-rec, and a couple of boys crashed too. The last Tassie trip I did, I discovered the battery was dead when I tried to get off the Spirit.
I guess with a hire bike, these problems become someone else's!!!

I did a few days solo in NZ but usually rode with three blokes from South Australia. And at night, we all stayed in the same accommodation and usually ate and drank together. I soon discovered that riding in a small group was usually the best option but was very glad of the myriad of different people to swap yarns with at night - none of whom I'd met before the trip.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote:Looks and sounds like your having a blast Kiwi. As other have said this really is a trip you will remember being so close to your heart. Keep the diary coming for all of us and for yourself to relive the memories at a later date
So having a hunt about trying to remember what tyres where on the Pikes Peak Multi I rented for this trip. You were dead right Rossgo, it was great to relive the memories at a later date. So glad I wrote this thread and I must copy it so I don't lose it.

I never really let on, but I decided during that trip that I would leave my now ex-wife. Felt like a "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" moment. For those that have read that book you'll know what I mean.

Also realised that I got on really well with that bike putting so many km's under my belt is a short time. I don't have that same level of connection with my Multi yet. Re-reading this has spurred me to commit to getting out more 1 up and enjoying the beast more.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.