Mobile phone renewal

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Re: Mobile phone renewal

Post by Monty »

I've got a Vodafone work phone and a Three personal phone. I drive around the whole of England so get a good comparison of signal quality. Vodafone sucks! It's got a little bit better in the last 12 months with their push on 4g, but no comparison to Three.

I pay 12 quid a month for unlimited calls and text with 4 Gig of data.

I've heard bad things about Three but in 4 years I've never had a problem, just a rock solid network.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I've heard the same from people I worked with in my old job but I never had an issue - it was better than O2 that's for sure.

I'm lucky that I get very good signal at work with Vodafone because they put a mast on the tower of one of our buildings - 4G even in the toilets !!!
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Monty wrote:I've got a Vodafone work phone and a Three personal phone. I drive around the whole of England so get a good comparison of signal quality. Vodafone sucks! It's got a little bit better in the last 12 months with their push on 4g, but no comparison to Three.

I pay 12 quid a month for unlimited calls and text with 4 Gig of data.

I've heard bad things about Three but in 4 years I've never had a problem, just a rock solid network.
I use 3 for 4G - its very good imo.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I agree with Cav. I have the S7 Edge and it is sublime. Phones have just got better and better. This is so quick loading things and the camera is superb (I like taking photos and this has not disappointed)
It maybe worth taking a look as you should get a better discount on it with your provider.
Battery is fine it lasts a day with watching videos, forums, FB etc it's pretty dead by 9PM though. However I use the battery saver mode when ever the phone isn't in use and it says it has enough battery for 3.5 days!
I'd say this is the best phone by far that I've had, not saying there isn't better just in my opinion
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Rossgo wrote:I agree with Cav. I have the S7 Edge and it is sublime. Phones have just got better and better. This is so quick loading things and the camera is superb (I like taking photos and this has not disappointed)
It maybe worth taking a look as you should get a better discount on it with your provider.
Battery is fine it lasts a day with watching videos, forums, FB etc it's pretty dead by 9PM though. However I use the battery saver mode when ever the phone isn't in use and it says it has enough battery for 3.5 days!
I'd say this is the best phone by far that I've had, not saying there isn't better just in my opinion
I have an S3, and after a comment by Kwacky when I first brought it I have spare batteries to swap over as necessary. This works well enough for me, for the little that I get to use my mobile.
However everyone else seems to be hooked on getting the latest thing, and telling me that I really should upgrade. I was looking at a friends S7edge the other day, and it appeared that the battery is not replaceable.?
Whilst the improved usage of the battery is indeed a brilliant improvement, presumably when the battery has completed it's quota of recharge cycles the phone will have to be junked.? (At which stage I will still be continuing to use my S3 8-| )
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

StMarks wrote:
Rossgo wrote:I agree with Cav. I have the S7 Edge and it is sublime. Phones have just got better and better. This is so quick loading things and the camera is superb (I like taking photos and this has not disappointed)
I have an S3, and after a comment by Kwacky when I first brought it I have spare batteries to swap over as necessary. This works well enough for me, for the little that I get to use my mobile.
However everyone else seems to be hooked on getting the latest thing, and telling me that I really should upgrade. I was looking at a friends S7edge the other day, and it appeared that the battery is not replaceable.?
Whilst the improved usage of the battery is indeed a brilliant improvement, presumably when the battery has completed it's quota of recharge cycles the phone will have to be junked.? (At which stage I will still be continuing to use my S3 8-| )
The battery is not user replaceable to allow the phones water resistance rating. If you have battery problems I believe you can contact Samsung to replace it. I still have my galaxy s2 as an emergency phone.
Monty

Post by Monty »

I've replaced non-user replaceable batteries in the past, but it is getting more difficult.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

i won't buy a phone where you can't buy a new battery and fit it yourself. Weakest part of an electronic device is the battery. I'm also not bothered if my phone is waterproof tbh.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Having dropped a phone in a toilet while under the influence I rather like waterproof phones (wasntme)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

StMarks wrote:
That's a fair point. I personally don't like the idea that I can change the battery myself as in my experience the more you replace the battery the less firm it stays in (not saying yours falls out with a tap, just saying what I have noticed and experienced myself)
Each person has their own preferences for everything this is what I love about us, we all have our own opinions, thoughts and feelings and in my opinion it's whatever works for you personally.

I like getting the latest phone because I am on it a fair bit, I use it for pretty much everything it's replacing my laptop in a lot of ways the only thing I'm annoyed about is my iTunes music as I have an android phone it has synced all my music over whereas I guess a iPhone would synced everything and not have to use data to play all my music. Phones are just incredible in my opinion they were only good for phone calls, texting and playing Snakes but now we can do everything on them and that's all in the palm of your hand...my mind gets blown when thinking about it all. I suppose some people don't think of it like that and just take it for granted but technology now is superb!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

What Rossgo said.

I do use mine a lot, probably too much. I like having a fast processing phone with a good screen and camera.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

StMarks wrote:
Same opinion as me to be honest. When you use a 4 year old android phone compared to a new one there is very little new functionality anyone uses and ok the apps may run a little quicker, i use a phone for a quick look at something or message - i don't see the need to use them a lot.

Its like watching the TV through the letterbox, i'd rather use a laptop when i'm home and have time.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I bought a mid-spec laptop (which is mighty fast I must say) 2 years ago, since getting my S7 I have barely used it besides for CAD and internet shopping or research (solely for the ease of use hence the full size keyboard and big screen)

The laptop and phone are on par in terms of speed thanks for the SSD in the laptop. Phone brand new costs around £600 and the Laptop was £700. Can't fault the phone for the performance in the slightest
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Looks like my hand has been forced, my phone has died. It won't accept a sim card
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They wouldn't repeat the black friday deal but I got a black S7 with 6gb FOR £32.50 PCM and no up front cost, plus 200 free international minutes

Not the best, not the worst, but it's a new phone with more data for the same price I'm currently paying
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:They wouldn't repeat the black friday deal but I got a black S7 with 6gb FOR £32.50 PCM and no up front cost, plus 200 free international minutes

Not the best, not the worst, but it's a new phone with more data for the same price I'm currently paying
You.wont go far wrong with that mate..£32.50 is a great price. I am paying well over the odds compared to this but happy so not feeling hard done by lol!! Enjoy the new phone
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The prices are coming down as there's a new Samsung coming out, plus data charges are going down as well. I did spend a long time getting the deal, it started off with them wanting £42 a month and £60 up front.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I cant log into my gmail account and I can't log into my Vodafone account as both want to send me a code to my mobile number (gah)
Monty

Post by Monty »

Three called me last week and offered me 32GB data for 15 quid a month. I didn't bother taking them up as I don't use the 4GB I've got at the moment, but it's definitely worth buying a phone and taking out sim only packages.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Monty wrote:Three called me last week and offered me 32GB data for 15 quid a month. I didn't bother taking them up as I don't use the 4GB I've got at the moment, but it's definitely worth buying a phone and taking out sim only packages.
Wow 32GB for 15quid that is bloody good!!