Bike trailers

The news and your views about biking
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Bike trailers

Post by DaytonAndy »

Over the off season I'm hoping to pick up a bargain. I know Erde make good trailers but are there any other makes I should be considering? I want it to take a minimum of two bikes.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Bike trailers

Post by duke63 »

http://www.davecooper.co.uk/trailers/trailers-for-bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Cheers Duke they seem pretty competitively priced. I'll look into them.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Bike trailers are light, and easy to tow.
However the only thing they are any good for is towing bikes.
I have a van for trackdays currently, but before that I used a 6x4 trailer I have, with wheel chocks mounted on the front of the floor.
As well as being able to fill it with all the extras (Jerry cans of fuel, generator, gazebo, Wets-wheels, new tyres, boxes of spares, tool boxes etc...) it also means that I have a trailer that is really useful for many other purposes.

Here's mine, in it's "single bike setup".:

DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

The only problem with a trailer that size is I don't think you can take it in the tip without a permit. I already have a small trailer that I use for tip runs but unfortunately I can't fit my bike in it!
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Whatever make you go for Andy, try and get one with the bigger wheels, the tyres and bearings tend to run a lot cooler, plus a tyre is easier to get if req'd.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

had a couple one which wAs made by a local guy
Picked it up from free adds it towed brilliant it had metro car wheels it would do 90. if you don't mind doing some work I have a horse box that I bought before the van yes it's a heavy beast but with a small Amount of work would make a great bike trailer
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Cheers Rocket but that sounds like it would take up too much space for me. I want something I can stick on its side out the way when I'm not using it.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

DaytonAndy wrote:The only problem with a trailer that size is I don't think you can take it in the tip without a permit. I already have a small trailer that I use for tip runs but unfortunately I can't fit my bike in it!
Well, I have my annual allocation of permit vouchers (that the East Riding of Yorkshire Council provide me free of charge) for taking my van to the dump. Very useful IMO
However most of the time I do Rubbish Dump runs in my car, with the trailer.
They have never commented about needing a permit for it, and there are often cars there with far bigger trailers getting rid of their waste.
Different councils may well have different policies, but may be worth a phone call to yours to clarify.?
Selling your little trailer & buying a slightly larger one may also be seen as a partially funding it by she who controls the purse strings.?
....And you'll end up without two trailers competing for space...

I should be a salesman... (giggle)
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

You should indeed be a salesman, I'm starting to like this idea more and more! I was misinformed about trailers going to the tip. Trailers are allowed, without permit, up to 2m in length (not including hitch)and up to 1m3 volume. Can you fit two bikes in your trailer and would it take a litre bike (future proofing!)? What make is it and is it any good? Also what wheel chock do you use? Thanks in advance!
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

DaytonAndy wrote:You should indeed be a salesman, I'm starting to like this idea more and more! I was misinformed about trailers going to the tip. Trailers are allowed, without permit, up to 2m in length (not including hitch)and up to 1m3 volume. Can you fit two bikes in your trailer and would it take a litre bike (future proofing!)? What make is it and is it any good? Also what wheel chock do you use? Thanks in advance!
Ok, that confirms what a contact I have at Humberside Council's household waste had told me.
I chose a lightweight Anssems alloy 2.0m long trailer by 1m wide. https://www.tridenttowing.co.uk/trailer ... -x-101-p89" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However with hindsite that was a mistake, because the tatty old 2.1m x 1.2m trailer that I used to borrow from my Dad was actually a better size.: With my current trailer the tailgate literally closes against my 675's rear tyre ( although the CBR, ZX10 & the MTX all fit in fine). Also that narrower width isn't really comfortable for two bikes to sit side by side, whereas The 1.2m wide one was fine in that respect too.
I only paid about £150 iirc, and it was virtually as new, so can't complain really.

As for the chock, I have used a Sealy one.: http://sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?g ... results=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I brought a pair of them, because I was going to mount them both in my new trailer. As I only fitted one, the other one is still in it's box unused. ;)
Any chock of a similar design will do the trick.
The best approach to fitting them is not actually to bolt them direct through the trailer deck (like I have) but to take the approach that I've taken with my van.: I fixed the chocks to a sheet of marine plywood that can be removed. If you buy a sheet of 18mm marine plywood & cut it to fit over the floor, you can pre-drill it to suit your 1 or 2 bike layout. Also when not in use you could leave the assembly upside down in the trailer, preventing any covering tarp' from sagging into it.?

StMarks

Post by StMarks »

DaytonAndy wrote:...... Can you fit two bikes in your trailer and would it take a litre bike (future proofing!).....
I forgot the weight aspect, and that was fine too.
The payload is 750kg gross. With a 2.4 x 1.2 trailer that will leave about 500kg. Most 1k sportsbikes weigh less than 200kg so a pair of them is still well within capacity.

On an aside, fwiw I needed a ton of limestone dust for my cobbles last year, and my little "630kg" max load (may have ;) ) coped perfectly. 8)
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Cheers. That chock looks good and like the idea of mounting it to a sheet of ply. I did notice how tight space was at the back wheel in your picture. Surprised the 675 would have a longer wheel base than a zx-10!
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

I was surprised too, but Leigh's ZX10 is definitely slightly shorter.

As you will see in my picture, I used a different style of chock for my van. I felt the design was more suitable, and they were cheaper too.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I bought my trailer off a mate for £100. Don't know if it has a make or not. To be honest it looks like something someone welded up themselves

I used to tow the bike and all my gear in a 1.4 petrol Fiesta so don't worry about the weight of towing.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I bought and used a trailer just the one time....the 55mph limit meant it took an age to get to the track, and it was a PITA to get the bike off of it. I wasn't impressed.....the points made about getting one with big wheels are VERY worthwhile!!!!

That said....my truck is pretty hard to beat when it comes to bike transport.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Cav wrote:I bought my trailer off a mate for £100. Don't know if it has a make or not. To be honest it looks like something someone welded up themselves

I used to tow the bike and all my gear in a 1.4 petrol Fiesta so don't worry about the weight of towing.
It's great with a homemade trailer until some muppet causes an accident and involves you, at that point a makers plate, approval number and clearly marked weights etc can mollify insurance companies if required. Having said that I am a little paranoid about that stuff and I did use to tow with a company vehicle, so couldn't cut corners.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Just to conclude this, I've just bought a Phoenix 2 bike trailer from TDI2Fan off TDR. Really nice high quality trailer.
20170309_161314_resized.jpg
Debated buying a normal trailer but they all seemed to be either a bit small or too big to go in the tip without a permit. I've solved the storage issue by keeping it at a mates house :D
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

We all need that one mate :D
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Haha. I don't think his Mrs is that impressed though. She now has to climb over my trailer to get to the tumble drier :D