Should I shouldn't I ??

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Should I shouldn't I ??

Post by D6Nutz »

When it comes to bike bling, and especially safety, there is never a question in my mind.

As I now commute on a push bike every day I've got a new passion for safety. But the real question, I guess.. Is £130(ish) too much for a push bike helmet, even if it is this good.....

https://lumoshelmet.co" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Opinions appreciated at I'm torn, it's amazing bling and the safety benefits are obvious. But the cost is well up there.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: Should I shouldn't I ??

Post by StMarks »

I suspect you would consider £ 130 to be "too cheap" for a motorbike helmet.??
It's protecting the same contents.
At the risk of sounding factious, it's a no-brainer IMHO mate.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Oh, & fwiw I think it's actually a really cool bit of kit.

I suspect a lot of drivers look at the rider, rather than down at the bike (motorbikes).
So maybe indicators on the side of the helmet could help road safety for motorcyclists who ride in traffic environments.?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

What Danger Mouse said. It's not like you won't be using it, so you'll get your money out of it.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

FWIW, even if it's something that catches a driver's attention just because they haven't seen it before is a good thing IMO..

If even just 1 more driver notices you you're better off
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Do it. It's novel enough to make most people look, even heavy vehicle drivers - that alone is worth the price in a city.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

It's cool, buy it (y)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

A lot of cyclists overlook helmets altogether. Do it, I say. You get one head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

OK, so I guess I'm decided then. Mrs Nutz also agrees, surprisingly it was me holding back on spending on bling!

Just need to wait for my invoice to be paid.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Hmmmmm.....for commuting I think that's actually a pretty cool idea.

Plus it goes with you when you leave the bike.

But is it heavy???.....There's nowt as annoying as a heavy helmet. The turn signal part seems a bit of overkill.

As mentioned...it's to protect your head, regardless of how you're risking it.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

The turn signals is one of the major selling points to me. I live out in a village with no street lights, the turn signals would help other motorists know where in going as the can't see hand signals (or me most of the time despite lights and a high vis jacket)

R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

They also will probably not see the turn signal as soon as you turn your head from straight where as a bicycle mounted indicator system would avoid this as it would be fixed.

Does the feature take priority over the indicators when slowing for a turn?:
"Automatic warning lights - Lumos senses when you slow down, and automatically turns all the rear lights bright solid red."

Not a fan of magnetic charging cables either, also is it a cable that is readily available which you can replace easily?
"Rechargeable battery
Recharge with the included magnetic charging USB cable."

Having said all that though, £130 is pretty reasonable for a bicycle helmet, you're looking £50-150 for a half decent helmet these days anyway, however i'd probably shoot for something that would be fine for trail use too myself as l like to ride MTB at times and i think that helmet is too commuting focused for my tastes. It also lacks the MIPS system that is becoming quite commonplace now. see: https://www.bellhelmets.com/en_eu/mips/

Personally i light my bike up like a Christmas tree with a pair of fibre flares on the seat stays, a high powered rear LED with ample sideways spill (on flash mode) on the base of the seat tube and a high powered LED strip directly under the seat with a cheap flasher on my bag, they are almost like car fog lights really the high powered ones so i run them on their lowest output setting so i don't dazzle people. up front i need to get a new light, i have a cheap flasher and a hope vision 1 on steady to light the road for visibility. both have a good light pool but lack sufficient side spill. I have reflective panels on the jacket arms and gloves for indicating. This has been fine for me on unlit country roads and unlit dual carriageways so far. One of the benefits i see of that helmet though is that if you look at an emerging driver you'll also be pointing your light at them which could help you to stand out.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

D6Nutz wrote:The turn signals is one of the major selling points to me. I live out in a village with no street lights, the turn signals would help other motorists know where in going as the can't see hand signals (or me most of the time despite lights and a high vis jacket)
Perhaps they need to think about adding some lights that mount on your hands & are activated at the same time.?
Fwiw my only slight doubt about the product you found was that the indicators are necessarily set very close together.: On motorbikes, for example, there is a minimum spacing distance by law. (why integrated tail lights are non compliant)
Having amber Led's also on the back of each hand may increase clarity.

Incidental, is this the first thread where every answer has had the same response to the question.? -I reckon that may show how much the forum members value & appreciate the contents of our Admin's skull.
R34PER

Post by R34PER »

i think with import costs and vat you'll end up at about £150 as oppose to £130.
R34PER

Post by R34PER »

StMarks wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:The turn signals is one of the major selling points to me. I live out in a village with no street lights, the turn signals would help other motorists know where in going as the can't see hand signals (or me most of the time despite lights and a high vis jacket)
Perhaps they need to think about adding some lights that mount on your hands & are activated at the same time.?
Fwiw my only slight doubt about the product you found was that the indicators are necessarily set very close together.: On motorbikes, for example, there is a minimum spacing distance by law. (why integrated tail lights are non compliant)
Having amber Led's also on the back of each hand may increase clarity.

Incidental, is this the first thread where every answer has had the same response to the question.? -I reckon that may show how much the forum members value & appreciate the contents of our Admin's skull.

https://www.amazon.com/Zackees-cycling- ... YCY62?th=1

D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Okay....that's a bit too much like a Tron outfit.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

StMarks wrote: -I reckon that may show how much the forum members value & appreciate the contents of our Admin's skull.
[best dodgy american accent] shucks, ow you guys....

The LEDs are not all directly front or rear facing, some are at an angle so you get good visibility from the side as well.

The gloves look like a good idea, but already I an wearing full fingered gloves. I hate being cold !!

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

@R34PER very good point on the break light overriding the indicators, research needed there.

The charging cable bothered me too, but provided it is just a simple cable then it wouldn't be too hard to knock something up.

R34PER

Post by R34PER »

D6Nutz wrote:@R34PER very good point on the break light overriding the indicators, research needed there.

The charging cable bothered me too, but provided it is just a simple cable then it wouldn't be too hard to knock something up.
I had a look and they say they have an app which can control the lighting settings so i'd guess it's programmable. I'm sure one of the owners has posted it somewhere though.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I've emailed with the question, would be good to get a proper answer.