What did you do to your bike today ??

The news and your views about biking
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Deegee »

Kwacky wrote:Reading the track users forums it seems that people are now getting pissed off with the idiots, so track day companies are starting to ban people.
That's good to hear, I imagine the possible consequences of turning up to see the twat that wrecked your pride and joy last time booked on the same event as you again could result in either a lost customer or someone ending up in A&E. I've seen it turn physical in the past, so I know although it's rare it does get nasty sometimes.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

MSV have had issues with a couple of groups having a medicinal smoke at lunch time. They had to act.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's random alcohol testing soon.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Are they biking jeans? I'm hearing good reports about the current jeans.
No Kwacky just regular jeans. I ride on the twisties normally so always would do that in full leathers. It was just a local trip that I would also have to wait around at so leathers seemed ott.

If I was riding a cafe racer or similar and just poping out for a bimble and some coffee and cake I would definitely consider some biker specific kevlar jeans.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Deegee wrote:
Kwacky wrote:Reading the track users forums it seems that people are now getting pissed off with the idiots, so track day companies are starting to ban people.
That's good to hear, I imagine the possible consequences of turning up to see the twat that wrecked your pride and joy last time booked on the same event as you again could result in either a lost customer or someone ending up in A&E. I've seen it turn physical in the past, so I know although it's rare it does get nasty sometimes.
To be honest I'm not surprised it gets physical as legally I'm not sure you could pursue the idiot for any damages or losses, so if they don't willingly accept any responsibility you could be pretty dam well fooked.

Maybe Kwacky can shed some light on that.
Last edited by Blade on 28 Sep 2016, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You can sue the rider but he'll have no insurance so you'll be hoping he's got the funds to pay.

You could try to sue the organiser but you'll have to show that the organiser didn't take sufficient steps and that they knew the rider was being a dick (that's a technical legal terms for twat).
Blade

Post by Blade »

So most likely completely fooked (blush)

The TD organisers need to get hard line on these dicks and sounds like they are which is reassuring to hear.

You see some nice bikes on tracks these days. You see a few R1M's and the odd Panigale R or Desmo and if someone wiped one of those out being a dick then blood needs to be spilt (devil)
Last edited by Blade on 28 Sep 2016, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

One of the problems I find on track are people buying cheap track bikes which they don't care about. That's why road bike only track days have become so popular.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Makes alot of sense Kwacky. Not really looked tbh, are there many road bike only days ? Sounds a good idea imo.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

A few are doing them now. No Limits ran 9 this year and all were sold out. No track fairings, no tyre warmers, fully road legal bikes only.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I like that and will look out for some next year as would like to get to more track days.

Really enjoyed Oulton last week. There was an event at Oulton today but sold out and I was gutted as would have jumped at it tbh.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

I think some people they get to the track and they flip a switch does not matter what they ride or how they got there they have some thing to prove to there imagery friend
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I think your right Rocket there is always some idiot with an ego and it's not just on tracks you find them unfortunately. They seem more common than most of us would like imo (gah)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Definitely something to be said about riding your bike to and from a track day. I've always ridden and never crashed so that's either proof of concept or I'm not trying hard enough
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I've ridden to one trackday, in the rain, all the way there, all the way back, 160 miles each way, to Cadwell, and yes it rained during the trackday as well. (rain) (gah)

It struck me that were I to drop the bike on someone else's oil etc I'd be in the deep & smelly for getting home. Hence I always used a van or trailer after that - just in case.

I've also been to plenty of trackdays where there's been a tannoy announcement asking if anyone's got space heading back to somewhere 100+ miles away and having experienced that, I wouldn't put myself in that situation. That being said I know numerous guys that ride to and from tracks with nary a problem.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:
Kwacky wrote:Are they biking jeans? I'm hearing good reports about the current jeans.
No Kwacky just regular jeans. I ride on the twisties normally so always would do that in full leathers. It was just a local trip that I would also have to wait around at so leathers seemed ott.

If I was riding a cafe racer or similar and just poping out for a bimble and some coffee and cake I would definitely consider some biker specific kevlar jeans.
Just bought some for both Jess and I so we don't look like dicks when we go for a pub lunch ride out or I go into town (I've done the grocery shop once on the Multi!, not a big one but filled the top box (lol) )

Jess had no gear so I've only bought her Kevlar Jeans and a Textile Jacket (and gloves and boots obviously!) once she is getting confident and our rides 2 up get more involved I'll get her some leathers.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Deegee wrote:
I've also been to plenty of trackdays where there's been a tannoy announcement asking if anyone's got space heading back to somewhere 100+ miles away and having experienced that, I wouldn't put myself in that situation.
Been there......some guy crashed out and his mates were there for the weekend, and seeing as he lived just a few cities over I offered to take him back.

"Ohhhh....Can we stop at McDonald's, bro??"
"And a gas station, so I can buy some aspirin?"
"And can I use your phone to call my girlfriend and let her know I'm OK??" (Why?...we left early and she doesn't know you crashed?).
"Oh, you smoke too?? Mind if a smoke a few of YOUR cigarettes in YOUR truck??" (Even I don't smoke in my truck).

The final straw was....."Seeing as we live so close to each other, maybe you can give me a ride to the next TD??"

Oh yes....I can hardly fcuking wait for that to happen. R'tard.

I told him I was done with track riding....which in turn led to loads of fun when he showed up at the next one... :D
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rain on the road this morning which means the hearty smell of oil and diesel as the roads start to get rid of a few months of dry weather.

Deep deep joy.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

Took the multi for its service in the rain, now im at work its sunny (swear) and they have decided to dig up the section of ring road I use to get there it was as slippy as hell.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Trial fitting of the Brembo underslung brake kit.

Using feeler gauges I measured 0.5mm of clearance between the wheel hub and the brake caliper body.

It doesn't foul and nothing should move so that 0.5mm of clearance should be fine but it still feels too close. Once I can prove the second hand caliper I bought is functioning properly (bastard to bleed) I'm going to file another 1mm or 1.5mm of the brake caliper to increase clearance. There seems enough material on the caliper body to remove a small amount with out having any concerns.

The joys of modifying bikes (blush)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:Using feeler gauges I measured 0.5mm of clearance between the wheel hub and the brake caliper body.
Have you span the wheel all the way around to check it clears across every part of the wheel? Wheels are not perfectly round and parts flex and move in application.

We've been caught out with things like this at work where you complete a tolerance stack up and no parts can ever foul yet they do because materials flex.

Sounds good though dude !!