What did you do to your bike today ??

The news and your views about biking
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Cav »

Yesterday I changed the brake fluid as some of you may have seen already.. I knew the fluid was a gonner because the lever kept going long about 10-15minutes into a session at Rockingham but I was holding off doing it until closer to Spain.

The fluid was the colour of coffee and definitely a little thicker than normal.

Besides that I actually spent a lot of time cleaning and detailing the towing vehicle. Meguiars make some great products. I used a standard shampoo then used Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish and Wax, Meguiars endurance tyre gel, Simonz Back-to-Black, and finished it all off with Rain-X for the front and rear windscreens. Besides missing trim and the standard abuse Pool cars get it looks good as new!!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Cav I understand the original fluid was shot but if your doing alot of trackdays and experiencing brake fade have you thought about using a high performance dot4 with a high boiling point ?

Something like Motul RBF660 or 600 ? Won't break the bank but will improve the braking............See what I did there (giggle)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

If you're using top end brake fluid like that make sure it's a good quality brake fluid reservoir. I've had that rot the sight plastic inside one of my after market fluid pots.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Washed my bike yesterday, pisses it down today. Standard.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I m very surprised at that Kwacky tbh as both of those fluids are conventional Dot4
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Washed my bike yesterday, pisses it down today. Standard.

Can you warn us next time your going to wash your bike please (lol)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Blade wrote:I m very surprised at that Kwacky tbh as both of those fluids are conventional Dot4
To be fair to the guy I bought it off he accepted that he had used the wrong grade plastic and gave me a freebie as well as a replacement sight glass.

I don't think it's a common issue but thought it was worth flagging up.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:Cav I understand the original fluid was shot but if your doing alot of trackdays and experiencing brake fade have you thought about using a high performance dot4 with a high boiling point ?

Something like Motul RBF660 or 600 ? Won't break the bank but will improve the braking............See what I did there (giggle)
I'm using RBF 660 :D

I've serviced the calipers with new seals too so they shouldn't be dragging either. I do abuse my brakes though although the 320mm upgrade discs should improve cooling
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

Just bought some bar end mirrors of fleabay ( cheap ) for the 999 to see how they look/work, I was out for a short ride yesterday and its quite strange not being able to see what's behind, like a copper for instance (sweat) I don't mind not having lights etc but mirrors I do miss.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Post some pics up Mick.

I Know what you mean about old bill. Me and Rocket got tailed by an unmarked car yesterday who must have been speeding to catch us up as wasnt there and then all of a sudden he was.

Also got stopped by a patrol car for a check which was clearly targetting bikers specifically and got a warning about my plate being 5mm too small. Fair enough a warning was given but we weren't doing anything wrong just targeted for being bikers.

What about people on mobiles, no insurance, bald tyres etc.......When do they get singled out.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:Post some pics up Mick.

I Know what you mean about old bill. Me and Rocket got tailed by an unmarked car yesterday who must have been speeding to catch us up as wasnt there and then all of a sudden he was.

Also got stopped by a patrol car for a check which was clearly targetting bikers specifically and got a warning about my plate being 5mm too small. Fair enough a warning was given but we weren't doing anything wrong just targeted for being bikers.

What about people on mobiles, no insurance, bald tyres etc.......When do they get singled out.
The law on number plates has no mention of the plate size - only the font and the font size are stated. You should have gobbed off at him for not knowing the law (unless it's changed since then I'm a dunce)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No, it's still font sized. But the smaller plates don't have the right amount of space on them to allow the right font size and spacing to be used.

s'all bollcks IMO.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

kingfixer wrote:Just bought some bar end mirrors of fleabay ( cheap ) for the 999 to see how they look/work, I was out for a short ride yesterday and its quite strange not being able to see what's behind, like a copper for instance (sweat) I don't mind not having lights etc but mirrors I do miss.
Weird. I ordered some flea bay ones too yesterday. At £10 for a pair they have to be worth a try to see if they work before I buy some Rizomas
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

duke63 wrote:
kingfixer wrote:Just bought some bar end mirrors of fleabay ( cheap ) for the 999 to see how they look/work, I was out for a short ride yesterday and its quite strange not being able to see what's behind, like a copper for instance (sweat) I don't mind not having lights etc but mirrors I do miss.
Weird. I ordered some flea bay ones too yesterday. At £10 for a pair they have to be worth a try to see if they work before I buy some Rizomas
Great minds think alike Duke, that's what im doing don't want to waste Rizoma money on something I might find useless.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Had one of those rides into work where I'm convinced someone has installed an invisibility cloak on the bike. Bloke in a small white van looked very shocked when he saw a green motorbike alongside him on a roundabout. Maybe if he had looked when he pulled out on me he would have seen me.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Glad I don't commute on a bike. It's bad enough om our roads at the best of times but add busy traffic, everyone in a rush and not properly woken up, to the usual low standard of driving and it must be a suicide run must days.

Would be nice if we saw the odd Police patrol car in the morning on popular busy routes. It may help reduce accidents and improving driving standards and would be a better use of public money than paying overtime rates at the weekend for bikers to have their number plates measured (blush)

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti Police. I think they do a difficult job very well, mostly. However some of how they are utilised to serve the community is questionable imo.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm with you 100%

There are loads of unmarked police cars on the roads, if they were marked the standard of driving would improve and fewer people would use their phones. Visible policing works.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Agree totally
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

It's all about targets isn't it rather than preventing crime in the first place. A police force that doesn't prosecute its quota is likely to get their funding reduced but it could be they are doing a better job by preventing crimes in the first place. No funding for that though.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Me and my big mouth.

I caught up with a marked police car on the Aston Expressway and was stuck behind it until we hit traffic approaching Coventry, then I managed to filter past.