Advice from Multi Owners

The news and your views about biking
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Advice from Multi Owners

Post by kiwikrasher »

I think it's only Duke and Kingfixer that are the only Multi owners but anyone with knowledge feel free to chime in

So far I've noticed the bike has very tall gearing (hire one in NZ was the same) the highest speed limit here in Aus is 110km and that's the motorways only, generally open road is 80-100 km's. Is gearing them down a common thing or do I embrace the torque of the twin and live with it? I seem to be hitting 100-120 km in 3 or 4 and then just clicking through the gears so I'm chugging along in 6th.

Also I have the touring screen on. I've tried it in a few positions. Fully up is the best for wind but puts the top edge right in my eye line when scanning the 10-20 m in front of me. The hire one had a little screen and I can't remember it being a big bother wind wise. What have you guys found works best?

The only other thing is the side stand. It doesn't seem to hold the bike stable at all. Feels like you could knock it over with one finger. I've being using the main stand majority of the time. I think it's just due to the weight sitting high on this bike.

Any other improvements you can recommend feel free to comment. I'd rather hear from those that have been through it rather than fumble through myself.

I'm definitely going to get the Ohlins SCU, but want to do a few km's first so I can see why the difference is like.

I'm undecided about a Termi slip on (full system is to pricey) the standard sounds ok and is nice and tidy.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher

Re: Advice from Multi Owners

Post by kiwikrasher »

Well that's embarrassing. It just worked out the Multi comes standard with heated grips and dash intergrated control (blush). The hire Pikes Peak had aftermarket ones so I assumed this one had none.

That would've been handy to know last week when riding in 7 deg C and summer gloves!
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

(lol)
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

I very rarely use 6th gear on mine except on motorways and I haven't found the need to change the gearing on mine but it is all about personal preference, some do some don't.
The screen is a very awkward thing it all depends on how tall you are on the bike, if im honest I still haven't found a screen that works 100% for me yet.
For everyday use some say use the short screen like on a PP, but I just keep my vario screen that has an adjustable fin on the top edge. There are quite a few options to look at im on my 3rd screen :D
Side stand...hmmmm I find it a bit strange that you say the bike seems unstable mine seems absolutely fine, though I did fit a CNC foot that bolts onto the foot of the stand to make it bigger as the original looked a bit small to me. But mine is very stable ive never worried about it.
$_57.jpg
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The heated grips are activated through the engine start button. I don't think they are standard fit but many owners have them fitted.

I didn't change the gearing on mine. You do have to use the gearbox a bit on these and i wouldn't let the engine chug along in too high a gear. there have been some reported failures of main bearings and i believe that in many cases its because owners are trying to use the torque to pull through gears that are too high. 6th gear is nothing more than an overdrive.

Mine had the standard screen on and i never had any issues. Its never going to be a full on touring bike as far as wind protection is concerned.

Never had any issues with the side stand either. It can need a good shove to get it back upright once on the bike with a full tank of fuel.

I have a few bits and pieces to sell from mine.

Navihalter satnav holder.
CNC racing water pump protector
Barkbuster hand guard protectors.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

duke63 wrote:The heated grips are activated through the engine start button. I don't think they are standard fit but many owners have them fitted.

I didn't change the gearing on mine. You do have to use the gearbox a bit on these and i wouldn't let the engine chug along in too high a gear. there have been some reported failures of main bearings and i believe that in many cases its because owners are trying to use the torque to pull through gears that are too high. 6th gear is nothing more than an overdrive.

Mine had the standard screen on and i never had any issues. Its never going to be a full on touring bike as far as wind protection is concerned.

Never had any issues with the side stand either. It can need a good shove to get it back upright once on the bike with a full tank of fuel.

I have a few bits and pieces to sell from mine.

Navihalter satnav holder.
CNC racing water pump protector
Barkbuster hand guard protectors.
Yeah I worked out the grips when I noticed wiring coming from them today.

With the side stand it seems to act as a pivot and would be easy to tip over. Or maybe I'm being paranoid because it's more than double I've ever spend on a bike (lol)

So what revs do you reccomend to cruise at? I have been riding it a bit low by the sounds, 2,500-3K in top.

The screen down low seems to set up a buffer that shakes my head around like buggery but up high it gets in my vision. I think it's aftermarket though. I might just go a small one like the PP, it never fazed me at all.

As for your sale items, I'll have to have a look at the bike, it's got a rad guard so may have a pump guard too. It has hand protectors too with indicators, are they what you are talking about Duke? If I can find a Gps for a good price to go in that holder I might get that off you.

Thanks for the tips both of you. Definitely look into that side stand foot Kingfixer.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I had a side stand plate fitted to mine and having another fitted to the DVT whilst it's being serviced today. I will put some photos up of the parts I have. Water pump protector is well worth the money as it stood the pump hitting the floor if the bike falls over. It's a bit vulnerable where it sticks out.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Ordered a sidestand foot (the same as you post Kingfixer) and some soft bags for the panniers.

Had a bit of a look for a navihalter unit but they aren't available in Aus by the looks.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Hey Duke, after a bit more research I realised the GPS holder you are taking about isn't for a specific GPS unit. Looks like a good bit of kit. I'd be interested in that and the water pump protection guard. Send us a PM if you like, I'm offshore and in a shopping mood :)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Sorry only just seen this /\