Turkey

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Turkey

Post by Kwacky »

Might be a place to avoid for a couple of years. They've got ISIS and the PKK on their doorstep and both seem able to drift in and out of Turkey at will.

I had noticed recently that it has started to become more conservative.

Shame, I like the place.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Re: Turkey

Post by kingfixer »

It's never been on my or er indoors radar of places to visit , certainly not now.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

My sister likes it...but then again she's also into elder abuse, property theft, and lots of other cool stuff. She should go back there.

Been unstable for years it seems....always 'simmering' but never really addressed...and like Kwacky says, lots of bad people right in the backyard.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It's a fantastic country. Like any tourist spot if you avoid the areas where it's full of all inclusive hotels you'll find that the locals are a friendly lot. I've never had any trouble out there, the kids are looked after. One of the things I like out there is the way they look out for children, be it in the shops, when you're eating or on the bus. A few years ago a little girl ran off form her mum and was heading towards the road. I scooped her up and handed her back. Her mum was grateful. In the UK her mum would have called me a paedo and called the police. When we first went to Turkey my daughter was a toddler. I remember one of the waitresses being besotted with Georgie's blonde hair. She took her off into the restaurant to show her off to everyone. My wife was a bit twitchy but after a couple of days got used to our kid getting so much attention.

But it has changed. They're not so keen now on non-Turks owning property. Headscarves are coming back, fewer places are selling booze, it's getting hard to find non-halal meat. It was becoming more European but that's starting to swing back.