Mallory Park 2016-06-26 - a Nutz point of view

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Mallory Park 2016-06-26 - a Nutz point of view

Post by D6Nutz »

So having not ridden the track bike since Jerez last year I was itching to get back out on track again, and I really do have a thing for Mallory. It's an easy track to learn so you really can use session to work on more than one section of the track at a time. I haven't had a lot of success with Mallory and the weather though, so the recent forecasts had me bricking it a bit.

The weekend before saw the usual prep on the bike and a few requests for favours. Someone local kindly lent me a gazebo incase the weather turned and Jack very kindly lent me a genny so I could get the warmers working without having to fight for a mains point.

Sunday morning was the usual, the van was packed the night before and the alarm was set for 5:15 |-) after a 2 and a bit hour drive I was glad I set off early as they brought the briefing forward.. Boring bits over we followed instructions and headed down for noise testing as inters where out first, after waiting for 10 mins or so with no sign of the noise testers I got bored, left the bike in line and went back to the van to put my leathers on (so much for the rush then) Noise testing was "interesting" as the rev counter has decided it's had enough and didn't want to work (I may have helped this). Managed to blow 94db without a baffle so happy days, and game on.. The weather also looked like it was going to do me a favour, it was overcast but warm and a little windy, kind of ideal.

It was at this point I realised that Perkles hadn't replied to my text and hadn't made an appearance, was a bit worried as the weather had been a bit shite on the way over. Was glad a bit later when I heard he was only poorly..

So the first session started, normally i'm really nervous but that wasn't so this time out. We had 3 sighting laps, and this set a first for me. I've never know a session to be red flagged during the sighting laps, but it was. We reformed in the pits and back out again for only three laps, still just about got the tires warmed up..... |( I found out a bit later in the day that the guy who stopped the session had knocked his fuel switch to off and run out on the way up to the hairpin (facepalm)

The morning was track wise was quiet with the sessions coming and going and little improvements in each session. Confidence was quite high and the bike was working well. It was great to see Jack, Kwacky, and Duke, really good to catch up with you guys would have been good to have a bit more time but the joys of sessions. Also met up with steveo who was hiding down near the pits, which is why we couldn't find him. Had a good few chats though the day and also picked up some good tips watching his lines out on the track. The breeze and warmth dried the track beautifully, and a few sessions cleaned up some of the mud and crap that was on the track.

After lunch the fun really started to pick up....... :P

During the morning I had a couple of sessions playing round with a guy on an old R1 (I think), he was quicker than me on the straights but I could mug him on the twisty stuff. In the afternoon he was having a session with an instruction and I had a blast following the pair of them, until I managed to get a move in on the instructor. I don't think he was quite so impressed as he blasted me on the next corner exit (giggle) the next couple of laps I had the instructor looking round at me, I might have been a little close (blush).. I soon got my own back though, after another couple of laps the instructor was a bit off line watching the other rider who promptly went a bit wide and there was the gap and that was enough for me. Never saw them again (rock)

That brought on a load of confidence and that combined with a few new tip-in points from steveo seemed to have brought my lap times down. The next session out saw me having a really good play with another guy on a 600 steely, we where whipping through a lot of traffic and having some real good fun. At the end of the session he came over for a chat, apparently his favourite part of the session was exiting the bus-stop with me behind and a ZX10 in front, he took the inside line down the elbow and I took the outside and between us we absolutely mugged the guy... Made me chuckle as not only did we buzz a ZX10, but I managed to do the pair of them on the outside (rock) (rock)

Quite often I'll miss the last session of the day, but the way things where going there was no way I was missing track time.. A quieter track allowed me to really relax and let the bike run.. Half way through the session I got overtaken by a guy on a ZX6 steely, that challenged me to try and see if I could keep with him for a couple of laps, after about 4/5 laps later when the session ended he had managed to get about 1/2 the start straight between us, so I was quite happy with that. Went over and had a chat with him after the session and it turns out it took a bit of effort to get past me, he had also been timed by is Mrs on the pitwall turning about 1:03 lap times. If thats the case, even if I'm a second or two slower I'm well happy with that.

All in all I had an amazing day and have really learned a lot about my bike and myself. I really feel my track riding has progressed a lot, prior to Jerez (last track day last year) I was a confirmed novice, now I really feel I am mixing with some of the quicker guys in the inters group. I still have a lot to learn though..

Finally, I really want to say thank you to Jack, not only for the genny, but for some great photos. I think from them alone I have picked up a couple of extra tips to take to the next track day 8)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Mallory Park 2016-06-26 - a Nutz point of view

Post by duke63 »

Glad you enjoyed. It was good to see you and have a chat. Can't wait to get back on track again next year.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Good to see you. We'll have to get tea and cake sorted soon.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Sounds like a success for you then mate! It really is nice when you get the opportunity to 'play' with other bikes, that for me is the best part of a trackday
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Cav wrote:Sounds like a success for you then mate! It really is nice when you get the opportunity to 'play' with other bikes, that for me is the best part of a trackday
It was good mate, and I 100% agree. Having the chance to play about a bit is all good, and mugging more powerful bikes is fun but the best part of the sessions was riding against guys on virtually the same spec bikes and being there or thereabouts.. In that kind of situation you know that it's more about the rider than the machine. You also get to learn a hell of a lot if you find someone that little bit quicker than you, your mind kind of knows that the bike is the same so you should be able to do the same.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

"If he can make it, I can make it"

I had that for the first time at Pembrey this year; someone on an R6 who does racing came past me. He helped pull me along a bit and I ended up being half a second or more faster a lap (that's alot on a 1 minute lap!). Best trackday I've been on