TT 2016 - discuss...

Professional and amateur racing chat and results WARNING - MAY CONTAIN RACE RESULTS
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: TT 2016 - discuss...

Post by Blade »

It's up to 34 degrees poolside here in the Reef.

If the free beer wasn't so cold listening to the best TT race ever could be hard work (giggle)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Not a Dunlop fan but truly respect his talent, skill and bravery. Hugely big balls domination of the TT2016 Senior. Well deserved race victory from a very competitive field.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Takes the shine off the day sadly - very well known in the paddock too :(

STATEMENT ISSUED ON BEHALF OF THE ACU

ACU Events Ltd regrets to announce that sidecar driver Ian Bell, 58, from Bedlington, Northumberland was killed following an accident at Ballaspur during today’s Sidecar Race 2 at the Isle of Man TT Races. Ian was competing with his son Carl who was reported to be uninjured.

Ian, a motorcycle dealer, was married to Trudi and had two children. He made his

TT Races debut in 1995, winning the newcomers trophy, and achieved five podiums during his TT career including a race win in 2003.

ACU Events Ltd wishes to pass on their deepest sympathy to Ian’s family and friends.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Tragic news. RIP Ian. Thoughts and prayers are with your family especially your son who rode with you today. Really horrific news. I'm lost for words as it must be sole destroying for the surviving son to have lost his father this way.
Last edited by Blade on 11 Jun 2016, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Another sad loss. His son must be beside himself.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

and another... I've lost count this year :(

ACU Events Ltd regrets to announce that Andrew Soar, 32, from Loughborough in Leicestershire was killed today following an accident at Keppel Gate during today’s Senior TT Race at the Isle of Man TT Races.
Andrew was an experienced competitor on the TT Mountain Course. He made his Mountain Course debut at the Manx Grand Prix in 2012 finishing runner up in both the Newcomers A race and Senior MGP in his first year. He won the Senior MGP in 2014 and made his first appearance at the TT in 2015.
ACU Events Ltd wishes to pass on their deepest sympathy to Andrew’s family and friends.
Everyone at Manx Radio and Vauxhall Radio TT also extend their heartfelt condolences at this saddest of times.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Hutchy and Dunlop have had a big falling out it seems.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt- ... senior-tt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Hutchys brilliant on a bike but he was well beaten on Friday and should just accept it.
He comes across as a bit of a moaner at times
duke63

Post by duke63 »

C00kiemonster wrote:and another... I've lost count this year :(

ACU Events Ltd regrets to announce that Andrew Soar, 32, from Loughborough in Leicestershire was killed today following an accident at Keppel Gate during today’s Senior TT Race at the Isle of Man TT Races.
Andrew was an experienced competitor on the TT Mountain Course. He made his Mountain Course debut at the Manx Grand Prix in 2012 finishing runner up in both the Newcomers A race and Senior MGP in his first year. He won the Senior MGP in 2014 and made his first appearance at the TT in 2015.
ACU Events Ltd wishes to pass on their deepest sympathy to Andrew’s family and friends.
Everyone at Manx Radio and Vauxhall Radio TT also extend their heartfelt condolences at this saddest of times.
Think that is 5 competitors in a week. It cannot continue to allow that to happen.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Speeds are up deaths are inevitable
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It's a dangerous sport, but people get killed playing rugby, horseriding, trampolining etc
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I'm not saying stop it but there is an element of deaths being an acceptable part if the TT, and I don't think that should be the case.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Hutchy has embarrassed himself in the Senior press conference I agree.
Last edited by Blade on 11 Jun 2016, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:and another... I've lost count this year :(

Think that is 5 competitors in a week. It cannot continue to allow that to happen.
Why ?

People die riding their bikes on a Sunday afternoon or similar all over the UK every week. Should we just ban motorcycling all together ? Should we take it further and ban all vehicles that invlove deaths through road traffic accidents ?

I'm not having a go Duke honestly. Deaths in any form never mind sports are very very tragic if they come early and are due to an accident and I'm not saying they are acceptable but they are a reality. For what its worth my personal opinion is people should be allowed to make a choice in how much risk they expose themselves too. Granted it shouldn't be at the risk of other road users but as the TT is a closed circuit with medics stationed every mile of the course it's actually safer than a Tankslap or any other planned ride out involving motorcycles on the Queens highway and nobody would suggest banning them.

The TT is a great event. A last expression of freedom to enjoy life at the edge, to challenge and push yourself as a competitor in a sport you live and breath and love. It has a rich history and brings not only a huge income to the IOM economy but marks the IOM on the map which without the TT would be no more recognisable on the world stage than the Isle of Wight.

For me it should continue indefinitely as long as people wish to voluteer to enter. Life is for living not being wrapped in cotton wool.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I'm not out to see it banned, Blade but I suspect there is an element of the TT organisation that just sees deaths as an acceptable part of it and I don't think that should be the case.

I remember reading that Karl Harris was offered a huge amount of money to race there and some of his friends thought he was put under undue pressure to race there with not much thought given to his safety.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Duke all large organisations accept death as a reality of their product to a varying degree.

I can't remember the exact figure but my employer has a risk matrix where it stipulates how many people it is acceptable we kill annually. I think it's about 1.8 people. The Company has a goal zero attuide to safety and safety is hugely paramount in everything we do, in fact it is clearly the the No.1 priority all of the time and no corners are ever cut but I guess they just accept you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs.

Reality is risks are taken, accepted and happen all of the time whether we like it or not.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

"it's as quick and as dangerous as you want it to be"