Petrol

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Petrol

Post by Kwacky »

Blade's post has just reminded me about this topic.

I have been told, by a handful of different sources, is not to waste your money using super unleaded on road bikes. By all accounts there's no need for it. Modern bikes are designed for 95RON.

I wasn't sure about the advice the second time I heard it, so I ran the SX for 3 weeks on super unleaded then 3 weeks on normal. I got better mileage on normal and the bike ran better.

I'm sure it's different for those of you with ECU reflashes or power commanders but in standard trim don't waste your money.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Petrol

Post by Blade »

As far as I know Kwacky the super unleaded has a higher octane rating for performance engines but as you say most bikes are mapped for 95 RON.

The only advantage I personally see is I believe there is more additives and detergents that help clean the carbon depoists from the combustion side of the engine.

As you say not really needed however a good tip is stay away from E10 when you get into France. It's 10% Ethanol and not great in bikes in my experience. The Blade struggled to start when cold in the morning if I had E10 in the tank as I belive it has an affinity to water and my theory was overnight the water was settling out at the bottom of the tank which is not great for cold starts. That and and I believe the ethanol in E10 attacks rubber in the fuel system and has caused splits in plastic fuel tanks. DUCATI North America has a law suit in place as many ducati plastic tanks in the US have split and it's suggested the higher ethanol content in there fuel to reduce the emissions is the cause.

For info I think in the UK ethanol is limited to 5% in unleaded and E10 means 10% of the fuel is ehtanol and is very common in mainland europe. The green tossers have plans for E15 to be introduced (swear)
Last edited by Blade on 01 Jun 2016, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

All good advice i reckon

Generally in France the E10 is cheaper, but usually there is 95 and 98 on the same run of pumps. I use 98 on the Jag occasionally but don't bother on the bike.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I spent a lot of money building a 911 engine and many trips to the dyno by the countries leading Porsche tuner (top ten cars tuned by him in the Porsche cup series) BP fuel ran shit and gave the lowest power ,I've said it on here before that total excillium ran the best and gave the most power.It contains a detergent that flushes the fuel system and can breathe life into old hammered engine
I use that whenever possible
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I've used the expensive stuff when I've felt it was warranted - maybe the fuel has been in the tank for a little too long, perhaps the bike/cage is just feeling a bit jaded etc, I've noticed a positive effect if it's been used after a long period of using nothing but ordinary unleaded/diesel, it normally feels as if the engine is running slightly smoother and in the case of my cage I've seen a 5-10% increase in mpg.

Tbh I'm too tight to use it on a regular basis, and the engineer in me is telling me the extra cost isn't warranted for everyday use despite any benefits it might offer.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

It's not rocket science, if your bike/car isn't tuned for it don't use it. Otherwise you'll be knock knock knocking on heavens door!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I never use it for my car, the car is just a workhorse it gets topped up every week with whatever is cheapest!
However in the bike tend to go for super unleaded when I can. I find it makes everything smoother and has a better mileage output plus cleans my old engine so I try to look after it as much as I can. I have tried 95, 97and 99 and find 99 to be the smoothest and it feels like the engine is more responsive, but this is what I think, others have their own opinions

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Monty wrote:It's not rocket science, if your bike/car isn't tuned for it don't use it. Otherwise you'll be knock knock knocking on heavens door!
The knock sensor can er, 'sense' what octane gas you're running and make adjustments accordingly up to a certain degree.

The octane ratings for US/UK gas are different.
D41

Post by D41 »

Ducati ALWAYS has a lawsuit in place,,,,filing one costs around $50 and makes it seems like they're doing something positive, when all they are doing is delaying something that cannot and will not change. AND....just because a lawsuit is filed doesn't mean that someone is at fault in any way whatsoever.

That suit will get nowhere.....Triumph tried the same thing here with their fuel connectors, and in the end just had to admit that plastic immersed in a highly volatile explosive liquid will in fact deteriorate over time, and that their plastic connectors were a POS. I'm guessing that most things will deteriorate that way.
markrsvr15
Your Bike: aprilia rsvr

Post by markrsvr15 »

The cheaper stuff has ethernol in it.

Were as the super stuff doesn't this was on another fourm were someone mailed esso they got back to them.

And when you have a plastic tank ethernol is not good were in some cases it deforms it.
And won't go back on

Hope this helps
markrsvr15

Post by markrsvr15 »

Just tired to copy and paste email from the other forum but this forum won't let me do it sorry guys
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Tankslap won't let you or the other forum won't?
markrsvr15

Post by markrsvr15 »

Tankslap forum the screen goes blue and say about administration but could be something to do with the email.
markrsvr15

Post by markrsvr15 »

Sent it to my phone it worked then I tired moving it to something esle then copied it still won't work it must be because it's a email
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Send it me and I'll see what I can do
Kwacky@tankslap.co.uk
markrsvr15

Post by markrsvr15 »

Sent mate of my wife's as she has Gmail
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm on my phone so I can't see the issue but it looks like there's code in the email to stop it being copied
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-06-05-11-44-19.png
markrsvr15

Post by markrsvr15 »

Good job your better on technology than haha. Yeah that's if from esso they even say about ethanol in different parts of uk aswell
D41

Post by D41 »

All well and good...but what can anyone do about it??

No-one is going to change the blend of fuel they sell just to appease a few bikers, and bikes wear out, like anything else.

Gives me a good excuse to get another one. Hell yes!!
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Ethanol has been fooking cars up as well,modern cars have plastic tanks now