Dead Gorilla

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Re: Dead Gorilla

Post by Monty »

Couldn't disagree more, as an owner of several 4 year olds I'd wilfully shoot a band of gorillas to protect them.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Monty wrote:Couldn't disagree more, as an owner of several 4 year olds I'd wilfully shoot a band of gorillas to protect them.
As you care for them so strongly, I imagine it is unlikely that they would be put in that sort of situation mate.?
Fwiw I believe that any good parent will stop at nothing to protect their children from harm, after all it's hardwired.
That wasn't intended to be my point.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

StMarks wrote:
Monty wrote:Couldn't disagree more, as an owner of several 4 year olds I'd wilfully shoot a band of gorillas to protect them.
As you care for them so strongly, I imagine it is unlikely that they would be put in that sort of situation mate.?
Fwiw I believe that any good parent will stop at nothing to protect their children from harm, after all it's hardwired.
I'd wilfully shoot a band of gorillas to protect any child, not just my own.

Something fundamentally changes when you have children.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

StMarks wrote:There are too many people on this planet, and Gorillas are an endangered species.
It would be a real shame that a 4yo should die as a result of innocent curiosity & poor parental supervision, but IMHO risking that by attempting to retrieve the child by some non lethal would have been the "correct" decision.
I saw an interview with some American wildlife dude who spends most of his time living with and researching wild gorillas and has done for 35 yrs. He said that 1000% the right decision was made. He knew the zoo in question and said that every effort was made to ensure patrons safety. He in involved in safety reviews of zoos around the USA.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Monty wrote:
StMarks wrote:
I'd wilfully shoot a band of gorillas to protect any child, not just my own.

Something fundamentally changes when you have children.
Yup.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Yep, you can't sleep without every little noise waking you.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Kwacky wrote:Yep, you can't sleep without every little noise waking you.
That was the thing that surprised me the most. I used to sleep through a train wreck, on basic training i was legendary for what I'd sleep through. Now I wake to the kids sleep talking. It's got worse now I have them by myself.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Yep....you're either a parent, or you're not....there's a fundamental change that takes place in the human psyche once you achieve parenthood....or at least there SHOULD be.

There's going to be blame apportioned to all sides involved in this. BUT!!!!!!....Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment....is it not at least reasonably safe to assume that an enclosure designed to keep an animal with that potential IN is also equally capable of keeping people out??

Anything can be broken into with the right approach, and no-one is more inventive than a small child....they have no learned behaviorial patterns to go by.

And again....as far as the shooting itself....I just can't see anything wrong in the way it was handled....you're dealing with a wild animal held in captivity...it can & will respond according to basic animal instincts over which it has no control/choice.
The people on the ground there could have left well alone, but then what would the uproar/outcry had been if they left a small child at the mercy of the animal??

I think the situation was handled appropriately.....if the gorilla had of had any sense at all it would have been wearing a BP vest before pulling that sh*t. Dumbf**k.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Possibly D or alternatively the child could have been wearing a baby gorilla suit which would have protected it from attack and brought the mothering instinct out in the Gorilla who would have shown nothing but love and care to the baby Gorilla suited child.

As the saying goes " IF you auntie had balls she'd be your uncle" (lol)
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Just heard on the radio apparently the kids parents are being investigated for neglect.
D41

Post by D41 »

^^^^

That's going to be 'de riguer'...there'll be all kinds of investigations and finger-pointing over this one. Someone will have made a complaint, and it will have to be followed through as a matter of course/procedure....this one is just going to get a lot more attention due to it's nature/high profile.

It's the incidents that don't get reported that need to be addressed, but sadly they usually get little attention until it's too late.

We barely touch the tip of the iceberg insofar as child abuse/neglect goes...same with most crimes, come to think of it.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

DaytonAndy wrote:Just heard on the radio apparently the kids parents are being investigated for neglect.
Public flogging should cover it ;)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Blade wrote:
DaytonAndy wrote:Just heard on the radio apparently the kids parents are being investigated for neglect.
Public flogging should cover it ;)
IMO a far better solution would have been for the Zoo to have allowed the parents to go in & retrieve their child themselves. That way the poor Gorilla wouldn't have lost it's life, & the justice would have been fair & appropriate.?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Did the right thing get done? Personally I think no, they could of used a tranquilizer in my opinion, however I can understand that wasn't an easy decision to make and I wouldn't want to have to make that decision myself because the guys who work at zoos don't do it because it's a job to pay the bills, they do it because they love working with animals and want to protect them. I'm sure the person who shot the gorilla is upset by the situation but did what he/ she thought was best under the circumstances.

Personal opinion is irrelevant these guys are the experts who work with them everyday, they know best. However sad it may be

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

the idiot parents werent as bad as those stupid japs leaving their son in a forest for punishment,stupid fookers :@
D41

Post by D41 »

A tranq. shot takes a while to take effect....15-20 mins IIRC (depending on the compound used). During the last few minutes before a subject "goes under" there's a period when the animal will react VERY unpredictably as it tries to fend off the effects of the tranq.....there's spasms, convulsions, etc.....it's an extremely dangerous period insofar as all parties are concerned.
I seem to remember that a tranq. also has to be 'prepared'....a tranq. dosage for a gorilla would kill a chimp, etc....and most of the time a tranq. is used for entirely different reasons....usually to subjugate the target prior to giving it medical treatment...or whatever it is that vets do.
Or even just cleaning it's habitat....think they do use a tranq. for that too, but not certain...??