Experienced travellers

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Experienced travellers

Post by Kwacky »

Tell me what I should pack for my trip this week. I've got as far as pants and socks :D

Space is limited to a Kriega R35 and US10.

Drugs, babes and animals are not permitted. Curse my wife and her fun killing ways.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Re: Exp[erienced travellers

Post by kingfixer »

When I do my Euro trips though I haven't done one for about 3-4 years, I go through my sock & trollies draw and sift out all the worst ones, I take them with me and bin them each day thus the luggage gets lighter as you go along.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Experienced travellers

Post by R1ckster »

I did a week in the Alps with 2 pants and two socks, two t shirts, fleece, shorts and some trainers, toothbrush n paste, bar soap, sun glasses, one pair jeans.. All rammed in a US20 and tinted visor and phone/ and some spare capacity in my R20.. All ridden on my R1.. I just washed pants and socks daily with the soap in a sink.. And always had a dry pair. Very light travelling

Did it 4 years in a row perfecting it.. I've tried all variations and size packs..

Prior I've had us5 tank back which I thinks is pointless and more hassle than it's worth.

Us10 is just about useful.. The R35 is big but I don't like heaven rucksacks on a lone ride. Sold it for R30 which is fully waterproof unlike the R35. The R25 to I took to Portugal with a US20 which I found unnecessary.

I've had just about every Kreiega and for race bike holiday touring my chosen combo is as mentioned.

Now I have the tiger I can take everything including kitchen sink lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by R1ckster on 31 May 2016, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Re: Experienced travellers

Post by Kwacky »

I'm lucky as I'm stopping off at Cookie's so I can wash my stuff there.

I know others have done the same as Kingfixer but I don't have any old underwear.

I guess I'm relying on the weather being dry so I can keep the luggage light.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Kwacky wrote:I'm lucky as I'm stopping off at Cookie's so I can wash my stuff there.

I know others have done the same as Kingfixer but I don't have any old underwear.

I guess I'm relying on the weather being dry so I can keep the luggage light.
I'd recommend a roll top dry liner for the r35 mate. Cost you 15 about. But u don't want a down pour as your back will give way to water after a while.. They are not waterproof like your tailpack

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've bought a waterproof cover for the R35.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Travel light as possible as yiu won't use half the stuff. I would take one pair of walking pants (much smaller to pack and lighter than jeans, plus dry very quick) a hoodie, 2 pair of shorts and tshirt and tgen just pants, socks and wash gear. Apart from docs yiu can buy anything else you may forget.

If no old pants buy cheap stuff in a supermarket and throw away after use will cost less than a tenner.

Don't forget a puncture repair kit and some basic tools, fueses etc either. They can get you out of alot of minor break downs.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Blade wrote:Travel light as possible as yiu won't use half the stuff. I would take one pair of walking pants (much smaller to pack and lighter than jeans, plus dry very quick) a hoodie, 2 pair of shorts and tshirt and tgen just pants, socks and wash gear. Apart from docs yiu can buy anything else you may forget.

If no old pants buy cheap stuff in a supermarket and throw away after use will cost less than a tenner.

Don't forget a puncture repair kit and some basic tools, fueses etc either. They can get you out of alot of minor break downs.

Defo basic tools.. And yes about buy and throw I've done that too. Although I took walking pants once for same reason but again depends on your social plans/ attire. Jeans are heavier granted.. But if you have a dump you made the saving back again lol

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers.

Basic tool kit and puncture repair kit are always under the rear seat/cowl of my bikes. I've learned that from bitter experience.

I've grown a beard so I don't have to take my shaving gear. My wife isn't impressed :D

I might look to replace the R35. It's good kit but it does piss me off that it's not waterproof.

I've got an overboard waterproof rucksack but it's only 20l

I was intending on using the US10 for toiletries, contact lenses etc.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

R1ckster wrote:
Blade wrote:Travel light as possible as yiu won't use half the stuff. I would take one pair of walking pants (much smaller to pack and lighter than jeans, plus dry very quick) a hoodie, 2 pair of shorts and tshirt and tgen just pants, socks and wash gear. Apart from docs yiu can buy anything else you may forget.

Defo basic tools.. And yes about buy and throw I've done that too. Although I took walking pants once for same reason but again depends on your social plans/ attire. Jeans are heavier granted.. But if you have a dump you made the saving back again lol

Haha take a dump (lol)

He is carrying most of the kit on his back in a R35 so you want it as light as possible was my train of thought.

Basic first aid kit, pain killers etc... as for any holiday.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Blade wrote:
R1ckster wrote:

Haha take a dump (lol)

He is carrying most of the kit on his back in a R35 so you want it as light as possible was my train of thought.

Basic first aid kit, pain killers etc... as for any holiday.
Lol yeah know what you mean. Personally now these days after all methods I would refrain if possible from having anything on my back. Rather have US20 tail pack plus us10 on the tank..

Fully packed rucksack even over days riding in warm climate wears thin after a while.. Especially seeing mates without enjoying the breeze and not leant over tank counter balancing when stationery

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I did have a large tank bag but it transpires a family of mice had moved in and made it their new home.

If I'm going to do a tour again and I'm keeping this bike then I'll take a look at having a top box put on the SX.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Forgot to say a V2 visor sponge kit I've used every year for last 9 years. Cheap and the best imo. Self contained and stays moist and wipes all the shite off your visor

DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

I can't really add anything helpful except to agree with Rickster that I really wouldn't want anything on my back if I had a lot of miles to do. A creaking back is not going to help you enjoy the trip.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm sure all of my core exercises will pay off in the end :)
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

I bought walking trousers that unzipped to shorts....

Like other said pack light

Get that back pack off your back and strap it to the bike. Long hours riding with that on your back will be a Pain. I strapped mine with bungee cords to the back seat.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

rocket wrote:I bought walking trousers that unzipped to shorts....

Like other said pack light

Get that back pack off your back and strap it to the bike. Long hours riding with that on your back will be a Pain. I strapped mine with bungee cords to the back seat.
Even commuting for 30 mins had my back in pain from having a back pack on.. most of the weight was a bottle of water
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

As has been said - light. Smallest shoes I've got, lightweight coat, t shirts, trousers and underwear.

I've got an R25, but I'm debating just putting my clothes in a waterproof bag and bungeeing it to the bike tbh. I've done a week or so at the IOM a few times and the rucksack got on my nerves. The RC8 Isn't known for it's bungee points however :D
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

T shirts, jeans, pair of shorts, underwear and couple of pairs of socks. One lightweight jacket/hoodie/fleece for wearing in evening.. Washbag. Shoes are the biggest pain as they take up so much space. Plus point of taking waterproofs is they can be used as a raincoat if required.

Don't forget phone charger and plug adaptor. Passport and bike docs.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Travel light. Got it. So that's one pair of trainers, one pair of casual shoes and just the one pair of evening shoes.