BBS European Track-day Almeria May 2016

The news and your views about biking
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

BBS European Track-day Almeria May 2016

Post by rocket »

Almeria May 2016

Struggling were to start with this as my mind is still digesting the experience as it was like a whirl wind. I'm so glad i have had the opportunity to experience a European track-day and with such a friendly well run company. I had to cancel my booking last year. However Gary had very kindly moved my deposit over to this trip in May. I was a bit appreciative about going on my own. However my mind was very quickly put at easy when i dropped the bike off at BBs and was greeted by smiles and very friendly people.

I arrived in Malaga on the Wednesday and the drive over to the hotel took nearly 4hrs i was knackered. I went down for dinner and was introduced to some of the other riders Who i Gelled with very quickly Paul and Dave the truck driver I had a great time laughing and talking bikes.

The next morning there were no nerves what so ever which is very strange for me as i usually get very worked up before a track-day. When we got to track i started prepping the bike. We had a briefing in pit lane. New people to the track were instructed to wear an orange bib so that other riders knew you were new to the circuit. The instructors took you out for 3 sighting laps in small groups, then after that it was just open pit lane. I went out at a steady pace and tried to learn the track which i made a complete hash of. After doing a few laps i wanted to adjust the rear sets on the bike. After Mallory i had adjusted them and not got them set up right. At this point normally i would be franticly throwing tools around and panicking about getting ready for the next 20 minute session. I just adjusted the rear sets and took the bike back out. only for 2 laps as looking down on the straight the steering damper was wailing around.I tightened the offending bolt and went to have a chat with some of the other riders. For what ever reason i really lack in confidence on left hand bends, rights I'm fine at but lefts i struggle. Anyway at Almeria there is a LONG left. Paul said he noticed i was struggling with the lines as he had followed me for a bit. So he suggested i follow him for a couple of laps. I also put my name on the board for some instruction. Following Paul helped a lot we did about 3 laps at a nice pace and i picked up some of the lines. I was happy and getting to grips with the back part of the circuit. So i kept at it, Out when i was ready, in when i was tired or the fuel light came on. The morning zipped by I was loving it and getting more confident. Just before lunch one of the instructors came over and said I'm taking that off you reaching for my orange bib. He said he followed me and I did not need to wear it any more.

In the afternoon it was more of the same. I was still struggling with parts of the circuit after chatting to Jake (an instructor) He said he would take me out. It was the last half an hour of the day really i should have left it but i was determined to try and get the left hander nailed. Jake said he would follow me and then swap places. Well i was all over the place missed shifts nearly out braked my self in the chicane really sloppy. We swapped places and I tried to pick up his lines he mentioned that i was turning in way to early for the left and on the back part of the circuit i was clipping an apex i did not need to as I can carry more corner speed. When i got into the pits i could not select gears i looked down and the foot peg bolt had worked lose and the rear set was flopping about. I think this was from the crash at Mallory luckily it was just a case of tightening it up.

That evening at the bar i was chatting to Neil and Dave and i mentioned braking I'm not very strong on the brakes they agreed that in a straight line if the back end is not off the floor or skipping you can brake harder. So the motto was squeeze then squeeze some more.

The next day it cooler I went out and familiarised myself with the track. Jake asked how I was doing. I mentioned I was still struggling so he took me back out. He explained again about my entry into the left hand bend and it clicked. I'm not saying I'm great through there but I had a lot better line and gained in confidence. Following Jake my knee touched then my boot shortly after. I needed to adjust my riding position on the left. The next few sets of laps were great. I had repositioned myself so i was not grinding my boot. The better line was also setting me up for the next few corners. Jake had also shown me a few places to use the curbs. I was also testing the Squeeze and squeeze some more on braking. Giving my self plenty of room but trying to brake a bit harder each time. I thought I was doing great. I was having to really brace myself only to look right and see Neil pass me with his back wheel hoping along the floor.

I came in at lunch and looked at my fuel, I had used one barrel on day one. The second day i was 2/3 of my way through a barrel by lunch. After lunch i had some good sessions but was feeling a bit drained. On my last session out I was a bit sloppy and waiting to see the fuel light come on i came in. Paul had been following me he got off and said that was great i followed you round and it was fantastic. He said there a few places i can really improve my lap time but on some sections he was struggling to keep up. I thought that's my last go next to no fuel and i was knackered. As i was taking my leathers off one of the instructors bikes came in with oil coming out. It had cracked the housing on the casing and the water pump had fallen out so oil was everywhere. Unfortunately he had nearly done a lap with this going off so everyone was called in and the day came to an end 30 mins early.

The bike was fantastic loads of people said it looked great and screamed. It handled flawlessly the rennsports were great as always they offered Oddles of grip and confidence. However as the end of day 2 i sat on Jake's gsxr 750 and was instantly more comfortable. I had lots more room and felt i could get off the bike more. In some ways I don't want to do it as i have had a fantastic love affair with the B1 but I think it's time to part with it.

So to sum up my experience It was FANTASTIC I so want to do it again and if there is anyway I can I will. I think I have already talked the Mrs round. The way it was organised was very relaxed and like a big family. The only time they closed the circuit was due to the oil spill on the last day. Apart from that there were a couple of offs but nothing major people panicking and running in to the kitty litter. I did not see any dodgy over takes. I think most people on track were very respectful. One of the lads had a brake down on his bike on the first day it stripped a plug. The second day he went out on at least 2 bikes one being Dave's BSB superstock R1 which was nearly as drop dead gorgeous as his OWo1 Yzf750.
I love the way the open pit lane worked for me it was just so relaxed. I'm not sure if i had any more track time than a normal track-day but the time i had out on track was loads better as i was not chasing a 20 minute session. On the down side I think I have a chest infection It did not spoil my time there but definitely contributed to feeling drained on the second day.

And to top it off Dave is dropping my bike off at Derby so I don't have drive to Woking xxx

A few pictures I did not take many
I also have some video which is not great. I mounted the camera behind me but it was a too bit close so you mainly see me wailing around.

Dave's Yamaha OWO1

Only used the warmers on day 2 as I forgot the 2 pin adaptor on day 1 DOH

Could not wipe that grin off my face

All packed up for the trip home
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: BBS European Track-day Almeria May 2016

Post by duke63 »

Great write up, rocket. Sounds like you had a fantastic time. I would love to do one of these one day.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Me too - looks ace (y). Nice one.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

Brilliant I'm glad you had a great time, I love the BBS set up and like you say it's like one big family event. I can't wait till next year now. I love Almeria it's my favorite circuit.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Great post Rocket. A euro trackday is high on my list of things to do but I've been a bit nervous of the unknown. You've really sold it! Would you do Almera again next time or try somewhere else?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

That left hander does take some getting used to and its a fast corner,your bike looks mega
Nice write up glad you had fun,on my wish list to do again
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Great write up matey.
rocket

Post by rocket »

DaytonAndy wrote:Great post Rocket. A euro trackday is high on my list of things to do but I've been a bit nervous of the unknown. You've really sold it! Would you do Almera again next time or try somewhere else?
Yes i would have no problem doing Almeria again. It would all depend on the dates i would however have no problem going some were else.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
rocket

Post by rocket »

Perkles wrote:That left hander does take some getting used to and its a fast corner,your bike looks mega
Nice write up glad you had fun,on my wish list to do again
I think part of the problem is my commitment into it . I want to go back and SMASH it.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Great write up Rocket! Your bike looks the business.

I'm the same as you, way happier on RHer's that LHer's yet Eastern Creek has a long fast LH corner off the main straight. I'm still not touching my knee there yet but do most other corners.

I wish they had the open pit lane system here, sounds a lot more relaxed.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Great right up Rocket really enjoyed the read and the bike looks mega 8)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Cracking write up Dude
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I have been meaning to read this thread for quite some time but I have now!! Smashing write up, clearly you had fun and the guys there sound like they are quite happy to help which is perfect. Enjoyed reading this a lot

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk