A question about a potential talk or presentation

The news and your views about biking
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

A question about a potential talk or presentation

Post by T.C. »

As some of you know, I quite regularly get asked to give presentations to various motorcycle groups and clubs around the country on a variety of motorcycle/legal related subjects.

However, I appreciate that not everyone is a member of a group and club but still have a wish to attend such an evening or event.

On that basis, if a talk/surgery type event was set up within reasonably easy travelling distance of where you live at an independent venue and was free of charge (even tea and coffee and maybe a few biccies may be provided at no cost as well ) would any of you be interested?

It is just an idea that I am kicking around at the moment so nothing speciific in mind yet. I am just trying to gauge what the interest might be.

And for those who say I am in the south and you live in the north, or you are in the west of the country or wherever, there would be a series of these around the country, so it would not be exclusive to just one part of the country.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: A question about a potential talk or presentation

Post by Kwacky »

Yes, I would. But I suspect like most of us much depends on the topic. I've been to a couple of talks in the past and found them to be a bit preachy.

The sort of topics I would be interested in would be things like - common reasons for crashes (talk us through a couple of incidents, what went wrong, what the investigation found etc) , what the police look for when they're deciding who to pull over and how to deal with the police, accident blackspots in the local area, that sort of thing.
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

Kwacky wrote:Yes, I would. But I suspect like most of us much depends on the topic. I've been to a couple of talks in the past and found them to be a bit preachy.

The sort of topics I would be interested in would be things like - common reasons for crashes (talk us through a couple of incidents, what went wrong, what the investigation found etc) , what the police look for when they're deciding who to pull over and how to deal with the police, accident blackspots in the local area, that sort of thing.
I don't preach, I am simply a motorcyclist talking to fellow motorcyclists.

There are number of subjects I talk on. The most popular is the claims litigation process and how it works. I dispell a number of myths, explain what contributory negligence is, how injuries are valued, time scales amongst other things.

The other popular one is the investigation side and I discuss how the investigations I do differ to the Police and Insurance investigation and I talk through a few cases with graphic photos, but also dispell a few myths.

I also do one for schools and advanced groups about instructor duty of care, another on the Fast track claims process to name but a few.

I did the claims one to a group last week, and I had questions and answers for another 90 minutes after I finished my bit.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That preachy comment wasn't aimed at you :)

I've done some "idiots guide to litigation" talks for clients in the past and like you seem to have spent longer dealing with questions.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I've only been to one thing remotely similar and it was very cleverly done. Just the CHP with a stand set up at the start of a highway noted for RTAs....the LEOs were cool as fcuk,,,,handing out free stuff and friendly as could be.

The photos on display of bike wrecks were a different story entirely....sometimes saying nothing at all says everything.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

id be interested ,I can also chip in from a cyclists point of view
D41

Post by D41 »

Perkles wrote:id be interested ,I can also chip in from a cyclists point of view
....Go on??

Longtime cyclist here also, and 'competitor' in the "Tour Of Orange".....it's a local er, event where you ride round the city and stop at just about every bar there is for one drink......I think I came 5th with 15.....winner ended up at 21 or something....tw@t.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

started competitive racing when I was 11 ,won my 1st british champs aged 13, raced for GB all around the world until I was about 32.Commuted through a city by pushbike for a lifetime ,way before cycling was cool and hipster.Many things on a motorbike cross over to cycling imho
D41

Post by D41 »

Couldn't agree more...and I'm seriously impressed. I loved my time doing MTB racing....AND my one century ride...but it's just something you HAVE to do if you're a cyclist....been looking at a new bike recently for a comeback tour....leaning towards a Specialized at the moment...I used to be sponsored...which is more about PR than anything, and I'm fine with that...you get free sh*t and just spout crap to encourage the Freds, etc.....then trounce them on the climbs!!!!

MUWAHAHAAAA!!!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I'm absolutely not one for clubs or groups (of any persuasion, let alone motorcyclists).

However
T.C. wrote:... There are number of subjects I talk on. The most popular is the claims litigation process and how it works. I dispel a number of myths, explain what contributory negligence is, how injuries are valued, time scales amongst other things.

The other popular one is the investigation side and I discuss how the investigations I do differ to the Police and Insurance investigation and I talk through a few cases with graphic photos, but also dispell a few myths.

I also do one for schools and advanced groups about instructor duty of care, another on the Fast track claims process to name but a few.

I did the claims one to a group last week, and I had questions and answers for another 90 minutes after I finished my bit.
That ^^ I would very pleased to listen to please TC.
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

If anyone is a member of the Thames Valley RoADAR group or the Wey Valley Advanced Motorcycle group, I am guest speaker at Thames Valley on Wednesday night and Wey Valley in Guildford on Thursday night. If you are there, do come up and introduce yourself and say Hi.