It's time for a bike change - Cornish is on the hunt again..

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: It's time for a bike change - Cornish is on the hunt aga

Post by Blade »

Enjoy it Cornish and completely understand your logic but I guarantee you will change the sprockets ;) it's not a MOD it's a necessity (lol)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Don't listen to Blade, he'll bankrupt you within a month
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

What gearing did you go for, Blade?

I've got a -1 front sprocket coming to go with my +3 rear... Vroooommmm

I'm expecting redline in 6th to be about 150mph now
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

150 mph sounds optimistic with that gearing. I thought our bikes topped out around the 155mph mark with standard gearing?
Cornish
Your Bike: BMW RnineT

Post by Cornish »

Blade wrote:Enjoy it Cornish and completely understand your logic but I guarantee you will change the sprockets ;) it's not a MOD it's a necessity (lol)
Hey Blade, i trust your judgement (well more than Monty anyhow :D ) as in the past with the CBR you steered me right.

I've got an opportunity to sort that now before it gets delivered, so should i do it?

Saying that its a simple job to do and i've all the tools at home, so can always purchase and do later 8)
Carpe De Pasty

Veni - Vidi - Vici (I came, I saw, I Conquered)
Cav

Post by Cav »

There are speeds listed from 150mph through to 170mph all over the internet.. I've had a corrected top speed of 163mph (176mph indicated) out of mine (assuming the speedo error is constant and not speed dependant).

This is straight from the gear calculator

STOCK
Stock.PNG
Current (0/+3, 60 profile)
16-46.PNG
Proposed (-1/+3, 60 profile)
15-46.PNG
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Regarding the sprockets I agree with blade it's not that your going to find some magic midrange. It's the the fact that you enter round about's slow ish corners in first gear and trying to smoothy put the power down with a 180ish bhp is a bit unsettling. With the gearing change it alows you to use 2nd and drive round and out which makes the whole process more enjoyable. I was hardly out of second in Derbyshire yesterday. If I had the orginal gearing I would have been up and down The traction control light was dancing enough in 2nd

Try it by all means but I quickly changed after not much time on the bike and glad I did
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

rocket wrote:Regarding the sprockets I agree with blade it's not that your going to find some magic midrange. It's the the fact that you enter round about's slow ish corners in first gear and trying to smoothy put the power down with a 180ish bhp is a bit unsettling. With the gearing change it alows you to use 2nd and drive round and out which makes the whole process more enjoyable. I was hardly out of second in Derbyshire yesterday. If I had the orginal gearing I would have been up and down The traction control light was dancing enough in 2nd

Try it by all means but I quickly changed after not much time on the bike and glad I did
Cheers Rocket, decsion made then, i'll get them done 8)

Blade, you're only allowed one modification recommendation per month to me though (lol)
Carpe De Pasty

Cav

Post by Cav »

Cornish wrote:
rocket wrote:Regarding the sprockets I agree with blade it's not that your going to find some magic midrange. It's the the fact that you enter round about's slow ish corners in first gear and trying to smoothy put the power down with a 180ish bhp is a bit unsettling. With the gearing change it alows you to use 2nd and drive round and out which makes the whole process more enjoyable. I was hardly out of second in Derbyshire yesterday. If I had the orginal gearing I would have been up and down The traction control light was dancing enough in 2nd

Blade, you're only allowed one modification recommendation per month to me though (lol)
Seeing as it's a new tax year tomorrow I think he is allowed to make another... (wasntme)
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Cav wrote:
Cornish wrote:

Seeing as it's a new tax year tomorrow I think he is allowed to make another... (wasntme)
Err, Cav, for goodness sakes dont tempt him please 8)
Carpe De Pasty

Blade

Post by Blade »

I ve changed the gears on other bikes on so called advice and regretted it. The zx10r is different as it is massively over geared in first to allow the next 5 ratios to be stacked close together for superstock racers who want a close ratio box.

By all means try OEM first I'm just confident you will want to change that's all I'm saying. The tall first gear is an issue on the road and the sprocket change is an easy fix. Perkles and Rocket followed my advice and are both happy.

As you say simple DIY job although you may need an impact gun for thr front sprocket which is on very tight as both me and Rocket found out.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Regards other mods there are a few that improve things I could recommend but the only one imo I would class as essential is the gearing change as genuinely transforms the bike with no negatives.

Other than that throw sticky tyres at it, find twisty roads and grin your head off, it's a proper naughty bike that 100% encourages the Maniac in you to come out and play (devil)
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Blade wrote:I ve changed the gears on other bikes on so called advice and regretted it. The zx10r is different as it is massively over geared in first to allow the next 5 ratios to be stacked close together for superstock racers who want a close ratio box.

By all means try OEM first I'm just confident you will want to change that's all I'm saying. The tall first gear is an issue on the road and the sprocket change is an easy fix. Perkles and Rocket followed my advice and are both happy.

As you say simple DIY job although you may need an impact gun for thr front sprocket which is on very tight as both me and Rocket found out.
Blade as I say friend good sound advice as always buddy. Thanks as I've given them the go ahead to sort it.
Carpe De Pasty

Blade

Post by Blade »

Nice one Cornish I hope you like it.
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Well, the bike will be ready tomorrow, yet looks like I've missed the delivery service until next week ;( .

Been on the web to try and find another service which won't charge the earth, we shall see. as clearly i want it for this weekend.

Selfishly Monty is going to France now, otherwise I'd usually bribe him into a mini-adventure trip 8)

They can't fit the bike in to do the sprockets until next week, so that mod I'll do when it arrives. On that note any recommend brand of sprocket and supplier gents?
Carpe De Pasty

Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

afam off ebay
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Good luck getting the front sprocket off on your own. Kawasaki are notorious for it.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Afam. Ebay or http://www.sportsbikesshop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who wee posing on ebay.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Can you not get the train up Cornish and rag her back at warp speed ;)
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Blade wrote:Can you not get the train up Cornish and rag her back at warp speed ;)
Yeah that about that yet no time as work mental. Anyway all sorted and arrived Wednesday hopefully now...result
Carpe De Pasty