In, out or shake it all about?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.

Stay or leave the EU

Stay in the EU
33%
Leave the EU
46%
Couldn't give a toss
21%

Total votes: 24

Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: In, out or shake it all about?

Post by Cav »

Okay, I'll no longer sit on the fence.

Whilst I don't think everything the EU has to offer is a good thing, it is weight more towards the good than the bad and therefore I believe we should stay in.

When it comes to voting, I vote for what I believe is better for the country rather than what suits me best. For that reason things like cheap flights across the EU don't bother me (while it is a perk) but things like animal welfare and protecting the environment is something that is in the best interest of everyone.

It's the same thing with energy. Switching to electric cars doesn't help the environment while the energy used to create the electricity is fossil fuels - I'm not sure why know one seems to realise this.

I realise I'm getting off-topic so I'll shut up now. :)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The pollution produced making electricity is far less than the pollution produced to refine the petrol/diesel and then burn it in a combustion engine.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Duke are you suggesting the current low oil price is driven by western government to keep the economy moving.

My understanding was it was due to China's economy slowing and over supply because of US shale and Iranian Oil back in the international market. That and Opec refusing to cut production as Saudi don't want Iran to get any market share.

Or have I just swallowed what they want me to believe ?
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:The pollution produced making electricity is far less than the pollution produced to refine the petrol/diesel and then burn it in a combustion engine.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:Duke are you suggesting the current low oil price is driven by western government to keep the economy moving.

My understanding was it was due to China's economy slowing and over supply because of US shale and Iranian Oil back in the international market. That and Opec refusing to cut production as Saudi don't want Iran to get any market share.

My understanding was OPEC purposely over supplying to push the price down and make all the marginal oil production efforts in the US uneconomical and given them the market control again. Very simplistic view. Iran's only just recently joined the problem with the sanctions being lifted.
oil.com wrote:OPEC made a historic policy shift in November 2014 by refusing to cut supply and prop up prices in the hope that lower prices would curb the growth of more costly-to-develop competing supply sources. Since then production from the 12 OPEC members including Indonesia has risen by 1.65 MMbopd
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:The pollution produced making electricity is far less than the pollution produced to refine the petrol/diesel and then burn it in a combustion engine.
I'm not necessarily talking about emissions, more the use of fossil fuels to produce the electricity that powers the fossil fuel-powered vehicle replacement... Kinda massive flaw in the theory
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's because successive governments have failed to tackle the issue of renewal energy sources and because the public moan about wind farms, tidal farms and solar panels.

But electric cars do mean better quality air in our towns and cities. That's surely a good thing?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I want a teslar
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

Also, the petrochemical industry has massive lobbying power (especially in the US) and has spent millions and millions over the years trying to discredit its competitors and ensure fossil fuels stay front and centre.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I agree that, if a renewable source of energy ONLY powers electric cars, it can only be for the good of everyone.

Certainly in cities where there are no trees etc it makes perfect sense for electric cars, plus the fewer miles travelled but the technology still isn't right for someone like Perkles to have one as a company car, far too many miles and recharging takes time which he might not have.

I have considered it for myself - I travel 50miles per day plus a few social/domestic miles but it's things like towing my bike to trackdays that might be 200 miles away that worry me. I will not plan a journey around a 2 hour charge gap
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Two thirds of car journeys are for less than 5 miles in the UK according to an RAC study.

http://www.racfoundation.org/assets/rac ... %20wp1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This pro-electric car report suggests 98% are 50 miles or less.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/107 ... says-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Perkles wrote:I want a teslar
Me too. They are fantastic.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/articl ... yMaFTE890x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. 'That’s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice
You can see why Gove, Boris and so many other Murdoch minions are desperate to get out; it's their master's bidding.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

C00kiemonster wrote:
I want one just for the massive touch screen
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Blade wrote:Duke are you suggesting the current low oil price is driven by western government to keep the economy moving.

I understood its partly due to the USA now producing oil from their shale which is flooding the market with more oil than is needed. Common sense would dictate that the US would prefer oil prices were higher so they got more revenue from their oil but that doesn't seem to be the case if they are flooding and already over producing market. That suggests to me they want low oil prices to keep the western economies afloat.

I've listened to a few 'scare' stories recently especially about China where its reckoned their banks will collapse like western banks as the Chinese government forced them to lend to build for the sake of building but they are now left with empty shell buildings and even empty towns as there is no work to fill them.

I do think we are only one bad step away from another collapse as much of western economies are built on massive debt which is just not sustainable.
One of the things i read was that if there were another collapse in the west, then they would make cash no longer legal tender so they could control all money flow.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

C00kiemonster wrote:
(f1) if only I could afford one :(
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

D6Nutz wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:
(f1) if only I could afford one :(
Not cheap, even second hand they hold their price around 60-70k from memory.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The make up of the current MPs and the way they will vote in the EU election is apparently this.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng- ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the country votes to leave but the MPs vote to stay by 2 to 1, how can we have a stable Parliament? Would we have to have a general election?
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

I see that UKIP don't have anyone voting to stay in.

A lot of people are against the EU, and would like to see us out. However I suspect that the "Devil you know" effect will inevitably sway the majority when the time comes.

What would Trump do.?
duke63

Post by duke63 »

StMarks wrote:I see that UKIP don't have anyone voting to stay in.

What would Trump do.?
Ban everyone from voting against him probably.