My guardian Angel

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

My guardian Angel

Post by Frankie »

I have had the week from hell on the roads this week, Tuesday I got bashed up the back side by a dirty great big wagon on the motorway (M40) lucky it was fairly slow, but all the same I went into a little shock in the afternoon of what could have been. When I mentioned it earlier in the week, it might have sounded like he drove off, not at all, he did stop we exchanged docs and went on our ways.

You would think that this would be enough, oh no not by a long stretch, I had to go up to Cambs and over to Suffolk on Wednesday, the very next day, the day started nice, then come the afternoon I am flying up the A11 just south of Snetterton when the hail started to come down, so fast and hard it was like driving on marbles, next thing I see is two cars spinning out of control in front of me, I apply the brakes and the car does not stop, ABS is going bonkers, I am on-off-on-off-on-off the brakes, the car is now heading sidewards, all I could think was how the hell am I going to explain this to my new company, two prangs in two days, this cannot be real......So I am now worried, I am getting closer to the two cars spinning up front, one heads towards the inside lane/verge, the other all battered, as they have obviously hit each other is in the middle of the road, stopped, oh so I thought!

I think right I am not stopping, I will thread my way through a gap, do I go left or right, left look good as the car was trying to go that was anyway, so I go with it, except now the guy in the middle of the road starts to make his way to the verge, OH COME ON are you Serious!!!!! Feck! I gas it and manage to squeeze myself past without touching anything...... WTF..... I mean WTF has just taken place (facepalm)

I have never felt so vulnerable or helpless in my life... needless to say I have not been enjoying the rest of the week in the car, everyone is driving to close, to fast, for my liking, which is not me at all..... :S

What makes this even worse is that as fast as the roads turned to a very seriously unsafe place to be, 30 mins later it had all gone, nothing to show for it at all, well execpt on my return journey all I saw was some car bits and a front bumper at the side of the road..

ALL I CAN SAY IS PHEW!!!!!!!

Needless to say my GA was on my shoulder for sure (handshake) (sun)
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Re: My guardian Angel

Post by DaytonAndy »

That sounds horrific Frankie, it's horrible when you suddenly become a passenger in a car but glad you came out relatively unscathed it sounds like it could have been a lot worse. For future reference, and sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to preach!, in an emergency situation when a car skids if you have abs just jump on the brake hard and let the abs do its stuff. Pumping the pedal stops it working properly and can make things worse. I do the same as you and try to let the wheels grip by releasing the pedal but it is 100% the wrong thing to do.
Again sorry if I sound like a tw@!
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Not at all mate, I agree, I did that, but it was fighting to pull up, I tried to assist... If I was to be critical of myself I misjudged the road conditions and my speed, I was not going fast but faster than I will be ever again if I get caught driving on freezing hale... I have driven in it before, it was like heavy rain, this was different as settling like snow and freezing like little balls of ice...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I had something similar to me when I had my Speed Triple. The shock got to me when I got home and I was all shakey and teary.

Glad to hear you're unscathed.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Kwacky wrote:
Glad to hear you're unscathed.
Me and your both, apart from taking a suit to the cleaners I am going to work from home today :) I need to see this week out in one piece
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

im doing at least a 1000 miles a week at the moment Frankie and all I see is idiots on phones,idiots hogging the middle lane,idiots driving to closely
Its a given with the mileages we do we are going to get involved in a scrape ,im glad you walked away from both of yours this week,take it easy out there
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Wow glad you are ok frankie sounds like a bit of quick thinking saved you from what could have been a nasty accident.

I don't drive as much anymore and I'm glad as I'm sure standards have took a plumet and sooner they do so thing about phones in cars the better. Nearly got side swiped the other day some body texting and wondering from the fast lane to the middle lane he continued to do this for about 2 miles. However the only thing that gets press is speed. I would much rather some one doing 100 mph who breaks and reacts to the situation in front I. Stead of someone doing 70 that does neither cause they are looking at there phone.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I've done about a 1000 miles this week in my car.

I now reckon I'm safer on a bike. At least I can get out of the way of the ****.

Yesterday the bloke behind me in his BMW was using the car's distance braking to stop him from hitting me. I kid you not.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Kwacky wrote:Yesterday the bloke behind me in his BMW was using the car's distance braking to stop him from hitting me. I kid you not.
I wonder if tail gating will get worse with all these braking aids out as people think they can sit on your arse in safety
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Kwacky wrote:I've done about a 1000 miles this week in my car.

I now reckon I'm safer on a bike. At least I can get out of the way of the ****.

Yesterday the bloke behind me in his BMW was using the car's distance braking to stop him from hitting me. I kid you not.
what happens if it fails ie blows a fuse ??? what a knob some people want there licence taking away
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Pleased your Guardian Angel is pulling her weight Fkkr1s. You really must get a dashcam mate, that's Youtube hero status in that clip.! (or 2x £150 from you've been framed, or whatever it's called).
I guess what I'm sayin is; (ttiwwp)

Stay safe & stay lucky mate, 'cos they say these things come in threes.! ;)
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

StMarks wrote:
That made me lol. Stay safe Frankie- preferably indoors!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Bloody quick thinking that Frankie. Glad you are OK could of gone the opposite way. Probably a good thing your staying off the roads today mate!!
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

God. Glad your ok Frankie. Look at the fact you dealt with the issue well and made the right decisions in difficult circumstances.

I've arrived in the UK this week and have done a few hundred miles today. Feck me I'd forgotten how bad the driving is over here now! People in tiny cars doing silly speeds. Nuts.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

StMarks wrote:Pleased your Guardian Angel is pulling her weight Fkkr1s. You really must get a dashcam mate, that's Youtube hero status in that clip.! (or 2x £150 from you've been framed, or whatever it's called).
I guess what I'm sayin is; (ttiwwp)

Ha ha I agree, I actually bought one of these on a super special offer for £20, well thats £20 I wont get back ha ha pile of crap, that was about a year ago, I wanted to capture all the crap I see on the road. What I really need is a set up that I saw on the North Circular yesterday, it was a traffic enforcement car, what ever the feck that it... but it has the speed camera logo on the doors and boot, it was a little yaris or something like that, but it had 4 camera on the roof in all four corners facing outwards, ha ha perfect :D
As for mileage I have done 7,000 business miles up to the end of Feb YTD, and on some of the worst roads going :(
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I feel your pain Frankie, the traffic seemed to have degenerated into a free for all when I went back to work after having a year out, that first week was a catalogue of hideous traffic, uncouth people that didn't want me on their personal piece of road, and vacuous eejits that wanted to do their make up, talk to other sad wasters on their phone and generally prove they don't belong in a car, they all tried to convince me the roads were not for me, but I thought otherwise and refused to be a casualty. I still have terrible road weeks, but now I'm a lot more aggressive with these butt wipes and they rarely wind me up anymore.

May I suggest swapping your company car for a rusty transit van for a week or two, it's like putting a big sign up saying "go on then, hit me if you dare - I probably don't have a licence or insurance!" it'll do your road happiness the world of good (even if you'll be partially deaf at the end of it).