Bike Insurance

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Bike Insurance

Post by Kwacky »

Don't add the helmet and leather cover to your policy, get another policy of insurance for that cover.

Something like this
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/helmets-leathers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

That's exactly what I have but at £32 for helmet and leather and £60 for the excess protect it lifts the grand total above £400.

It's not bad tbh it's just it was cheaper previously and me and the bikes are older so don't see why the premium increase and you know I'm a skint flint.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Blade wrote:That's exactly what I have but at £32 for helmet and leather and £60 for the excess protect it lifts the grand total above £400.

It's not bad tbh it's just it was cheaper previously and me and the bikes are older so don't see why the premium increase and you know I'm a skint flint.
All my kit is covered on my home contents insurance at no additional cost.

And again, if you are taken out through no fault of your own you are going to claim from the third party anyway,

I just have it on my contents insurance because it is free to include and in case I do something of a numpty nature like drop my bash hat.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Blade

Post by Blade »

Sounds good TC. Is it covered as standard on home insurance or an extra you take out.
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

Blade wrote:Sounds good TC. Is it covered as standard on home insurance or an extra you take out.
I have it on standard, I just specified it on my goods temporarily away from the house and they said fine.

I have had my kit listed on all my home contents policies ever since I brought my first place 30 years ago.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Wont you have a heftier excess on home contents policy? And it would count as a claim on your house policy if you did have to claim, resulting in a increase the next year?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Good question Duke as I don't think there is any excess on the stand alone cover but will have to check.
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

duke63 wrote:Wont you have a heftier excess on home contents policy? And it would count as a claim on your house policy if you did have to claim, resulting in a increase the next year?
I have claimed twice (albeit a few years ago) and my premium went up by about £3.

It seems that the way claims are recorded for contents/building claims are different to vehicle claims.

But the bottom line is that unless you are blatantly dishonest, nobody is going to get their kit specified on the contents insurance with a view to making a claim, it is there as a backup should the need arise, in the same way nobody takes out any insurance policy with a view to claiming, it is one of those things we pay for in the hope that we never have to use it, but nice to know that it is there if needed.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Ok. My renewal is due.

I'm with Bennets. Renewal letter comes in at £208 with pretty much everything. Breakdown, legal, accident protection, NCB protection etc.

So I did a comparison. Cheapest is Post office at £104 with no extras apart from Protected NCB

I ring to cancel Bennets. He said he can take all the extras off apart from NCB protection and do it for £89

Sounds pretty good.

Just went onto Bennets own website. And did a quote

£563 with no extras.

What the hell?????
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

LOL, have you forgotten to inform Bennets about a large "at fault" loss that you are declaring when you check for prices.??

D6 wrote:.......I ring to cancel Bennets. He said he can take all the extras off apart from NCB protection and do it for £89
I should call him back, pronto.!
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I have a clean licence and history (as long as up to 5 years!!)

Went with Post office in the end for pretty much same price.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Just rang Swinton insurance at 6:25pm and got the automated answering machine saying their shut. It says their opening hours Mon-Fri are 9am to 7pm :?

So why have you shut 35 minutes early (gah)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Anyone used Hastings there coming in silly cheap. Apparently they use a underwriter called "Advantage" who I have never heard off (wasntme)

A bit like D6's quote and almost too good to be true (lol)
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

I used Hastings last year (I think) Never had to claim so can't comment how good they are.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Me too. I've used Hastings (many years ago, so they've obviously been around quite a while) & like Andy I never needed to claim so am unable to comment in that respect.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

dont use Hastings , my mate was insured with them , his house was broken into and he was threatened , they wanted his car keys and cash ,cards etc and his phone , as it was 3 - 1 and they were armed with bats and a crowbar and he was in his pants he complied , the insurance company refused to pay out because he handed over the keys voluntarily , took him over two years to get paid out .
Blade

Post by Blade »

That's disgusting Jack. Sorry to hear that about your mate but thanks for the heads up (y)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:Just rang Swinton insurance at 6:25pm and got the automated answering machine saying their shut. It says their opening hours Mon-Fri are 9am to 7pm :?

So why have you shut 35 minutes early (gah)
I've heard companies put their automated responses on if their queue line is longer than what they can reasonably expect to respond too. Can anyone confirm this??
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Jack wrote:dont use Hastings , my mate was insured with them , his house was broken into and he was threatened , they wanted his car keys and cash ,cards etc and his phone , as it was 3 - 1 and they were armed with bats and a crowbar and he was in his pants he complied , the insurance company refused to pay out because he handed over the keys voluntarily , took him over two years to get paid out .
Insurances are tw@ts I can not believe they did that that's below the low