Bike Insurance

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Bike Insurance

Post by Blade »

Not tried aviva for the bike tbh Kwacky and not sure why not tbh as they currently insure our cars on a multi policy.

Will try aviva and Carole Nash tomorrow.

I don't suppose it helps declaring a lot of mods and wanting zero excess and helmet and leather cover.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Counter the zero excess with an increased value of the bike ;)

If you've got a lot of mods you want listed go with a custom bike insurer, they do bespoke insurance and can end up cheaper.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Good tip but bike value is already ramped up tbh.

The excess is £500 but I buy a bolt on extra for approx £40-50 which waves the excess which effectively means it's zero.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

AFAIK unless you get an agreed value policy specifically (which is usually much more expensive) all increasing the value of your bike will do is increase your premium. Most normal policies will just pay out market value of your bike irrespective of what you say it is worth when you take the policy out. Have you tried Bikesure yet Blade? I'm curious if anyone's made the Tankslap discount pay.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

I always get joke like prices from Aviva. £3500 to insure my car, for example. What, did I go to sleep and wake up a 21 year old trying to insure a Fiesta ST?

My car's with Direct Line, who aren't necessarily the cheapest, but I've had pretty good support from in the past.

R1 and Harley are both with Bikesure, who not only did me the best prices, but are really good about things like policy changes - no admin fees when I moved, for example, the only ones that didn't charge me - and have been pretty easy with regard to getting documents, recognising no claims etc.

My one to avoid would be MCE. Absolutely **** useless.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

quote me happy multi car policy ,by far cheapest for me
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Bikesure here as well. It's a very good company. Any problems they rectify it instantly. But companies are all different for different people. Me and my partner insured the same car but my price came up 500quid more than hers! Seriously how does that work...I had been on the road for years before her and yet she got a better deal!! I don't tend to go with companies I hear of I go to price and what I get out of it. Eg MCE were great on both times I bikes got nicked they didn't let me down at all either time. And settled up in the time they stated they had to wait.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Many policies include Legal expenses which they state are free, but in reality can add anything between £30 and £70 to the premium.

LEI is a wate of space and money and is 90% profit (to the tune of over £200 million) every year to the insurers.

You do not need LEI simply because if you have a crash which is not your fault you can get legal representation under a CFA (no win no fee) at no cost, and you will not get pushed into using a law firm recommended or advised by the insurers (even though it is now illegal they still do it), plus a no win no fee means that they are more likely to fight your corner because if they fail to win they don't get pais, plus the fact that you can go to whatever law frm you choose, and lastly if the crash is your fault, that is what you have the insurance for in the first place

Not having LEI saves me about £40 a year on my policy.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

I don't pay for legal expenses, either. Mainly because the solicitors who you get via those schemes are about as interested in getting you the best deal they can as they would be in representing a piece of wet cardboard. My last one couldn't even be bothered to spell check the official letters (or she was thick as shit, whichever). The ambulance chasers will at least give a shit if they're on no win, no fee.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Well I tried Carole Nash and they were 4 times more expensive (shocked)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Did you ask them why?
Blade

Post by Blade »

I didn't they even said themselves no point discussing any further.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

4 times more that's ridiculous. Itd probably because they've seen your posts up here Blade!! Haha
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote: If you've got a lot of mods you want listed go with a custom bike insurer, they do bespoke insurance and can end up cheaper.
This is very true as it's how I insure my bike. As a standard bike with all the mods fully comp was coming in between £1000 - £1200 with over £500 excess, as a custom bike it's nearer £200 with a much more reasonable excess.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

dogbot wrote: The ambulance chasers will at least give a shit if they're on no win, no fee.
Because a firm offers a no win no fee (Conditional Fee Agreement to give it its proper name) don't tar all firms as Ambulance chasers.

99% of firms have offer CFA's as it makes legal representation avalable to all and it replaced legal aid in 2001 which was meanstested and available to only a select few.

Switch it around. If you said that those who deal with LEI cases were the Ambulance chasers, I wouod agree with you 100% because they do not carry out the risk assesment, they take all the rubbish thrown at them by their parent insurance company, and they get paid regardless of whether they win or lose.

On a CFA the law firm has to to a risk assesment in order to get ATE isurance in lace, so they have to be sure that on the balance of probabilty that they have a 51% chance or better of winning the case, and they are more ikely to fight your corner because if they don't win they don't get paid.

A law firm working on a CFA will aso fund the case themselves, so disburments such as Police reports, medical records, expert witnesses, locus reports are paid for by the firm (which they can claim back at completion) whereas an LEI firm often go for a handout from the insurers so no comitment from them.

I see more complaints regarding LEI firms and take over more cases from LEI instructed firms than any independent,

What many insurers also fail to tell customers is that for the last few years it has been illegal for them to force their customers to use their panel solicitors. The customer has the right to choose their own law firm and the insurers have to maintain the LEI cover (although some still refuse) but in any case, whilst the LEI ceiling is often caped at say £50,000 or £100,000 (which soon runs out in a big case) under a CFA there is no cap and so they do not have to go cap in hand to the insurers.

A few years back I dealt with a case which happened in Croydon, and the case was assed to a Manchester based firm on an LEI. The rider suffered a brain injury but the law firm obtained no interim payments despite iability having been admitted by the third party. 3 days before limitation expired, they still had notissued proceedings because thy had run out of money from the insurers. Proceedings were issued, but for a hearing in Manchester rather than in Croydon, and it transpired that the law firm had done nothing, and not even aplied for a copy of the Police report (which is the first thing you do). Oh and they valued the case at £150.000 in full and final settlement, bearing in mind that the rider was brain injured with other horrendous injuries and would never work again.

Anyway, long story short, his wife sacked the LEI firm, came to us, we put him onto a CFA represented by his litigation friend (his wife) I did the investigation work, case as transferred to Croydon but before it got to trial the case settled for £7.5mllion. Bit different to the £150,000 that was given as the original figure.

So in the event of it going wrong out on the road and it not being your fault, who would you rather have on your side fighting your corner?

Sorry, I will get off my soap box now (blush) :( but it does annoy me when people make uninformed assumptions.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Just went to do a quote with bikesure, but you can't do anything online. You enter your phone and they call you back.

I dont want to speak to people until I know that a quote will be close. I'd rather do it online.
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

I'm with bikesure and they've always been able to beat other insurers for me. They even gave me discount on my car insurance (Adrian Flux) using my bikes NCB.
Blade

Post by Blade »

D6Nutz wrote:
Kwacky wrote: If you've got a lot of mods you want listed go with a custom bike insurer, they do bespoke insurance and can end up cheaper.
This is very true as it's how I insure my bike. As a standard bike with all the mods fully comp was coming in between £1000 - £1200 with over £500 excess, as a custom bike it's nearer £200 with a much more reasonable excess.
Tbh Jon I'm close to £300 with both bikes fully comp and all the mods declared it's just when I add helmet and leathers and excess protection it creeps over £400.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Can't you get that as a stand alone policy?
Blade

Post by Blade »

What do you mean ?