ACF-50

The news and your views about biking
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

ACF-50

Post by DaytonAndy »

I know some of you use this so what exactly do you do with it?
$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG (17.42 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
I bought one of those a while ago with the spray bottle but never got round to using it. My new bike looks mint and I'd like to keep it that way! I've got a set of black bodywork to put on to keep the white bodywork mint so while the plastics are all off what do I do? Does it just get sprayed on all the metal apart from the brake discs ie the engine, Swingarm, frame, exhaust etc? How long does it then last? Anything I've missed or any other tips? Thanks in advance.
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

ACF-50

Post by R1ckster »

Hello mate. I pretty much cover my bike with the stuff apart from brakes! Yes keep well away from brakes as this stuff is really good at making them not work :) after having found out I had overspray :)

Best stuff ever for or venting corrosion but does leave a slight greasy type film. But that's why is keeps rust at bay..
Expensive but the best imo

If you jet wash I'd definitely re apply. Basically I reapply after every wash Image

And given this time of year with a lot of salt about depending on you riding frequency just common sense. Is if your bike is whited up plastered with salt then I'd give it a wash and reapply
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: ACF-50

Post by Kwacky »

Give the bike a really good clean and degrease but don't wax or polish it. Once the bike is dry then apply to anything the road salt can attack. I would also apply a small amount to a dry cloth and rub it on the bodywork and pretty much all of the bike apart from the brakes.

I use a small brush to dab on nuts and bolts.

Leave it for as long as you can. This stuff really seeps. I put some on the SX and two days later when I went to use the bike you could see the circles of ACF where it had crept along around the bolts I had treated.

Use sparingly, you don't need much.

The parts most exposed are the parts you need to check and reapply.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I think everything has covered it all. It is the best stuff on the market you will not ask for anything else!! I've heard it lasts around 3 months (on my use - weekend use) unsure about daily but I couldn't see it being much different in all honesty as it leaves a film of protective coating which won't come off through the water. It also helps with cleaning basically just point and spray your jet wash and the dirt comes off. It's very good stuff. I have just bought some myself and will apply every couple of months to keep on top of it.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

My SX looks really good. A couple of bolts have been attacked by the road salt but they're low down where they've been exposed to the most water such as rain, standing water and flicked up mist.

I'll take some photos at the weekend so you can see the condition it's in.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Oh and a side note you can use it on the exhaust no problems with that. It does tend to smoke when you first start up the bike but it clears after 5 mins or so
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Can't remember where the conversation was about the oil sprayer with ACF50 but here's a good area for it I guess!!

I have now used my oil sprayer...it rocks!! I sprayed the ACF50 after it had sat in boiling hot water for 15 mins and it came out like a fine spray exactly how it should. A piece of equipment for a few quid hasn't failed me!! Would highly recommend it. My bike is nicely protected now!!

Item number on eBay

Does the job!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Does the hot water trick work?
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:Does the hot water trick work?
Warming ACF-50 in liquid form greatly affects it's density, cold it feels like a light machine oil, but warming it changes it to something more petrol.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

It was brilliant...hot water definitely did the job of making the ACF more Misty than glupy. It's not as good as an air gun but for the price of an air compressor and a gun you expect that to be amazing! I picked the oil sprayer up for a few quid plus a cup of boiling hot water it was well worth it. I used a spray bottle last time and I must admit that did an awful job, it just did a jet of ACF and was very thick. I would recommend one of these sprayers. I also used a micro fiber cloth to do other areas like the swinging arm and bolts on the fairing. I was impressed with it
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Thank for the advice. I've ordered one of those spray bottles. I'll give it a go next wash day.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I really doubt you will regret the spending of 3quid, I did the whole bike and used 3/4 the oil spray can (the one I bought from eBay) but that was my first time I have used it so I recogn I actually used too much and will refine how much I actually spray on the bike with time. But letting it creep into all the gaps now for a few days then ill check it over and see if anything g needs a wipe down again
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's the key, leaving it on the bike. Last time I did that I didn't use the bike for a couple of days and you could see on the plastics where the ACF50 I had applied to bolts had spread.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Thanks for the update Ross. I'm going to order one later...
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:That's the key, leaving it on the bike. Last time I did that I didn't use the bike for a couple of days and you could see on the plastics where the ACF50 I had applied to bolts had spread.
I must admit by the tome I had finished the bike I rechecked the first bit I did and it was already creeping!! Think this stuff takes some getting used to in all honesty as the company say 'a little bit of ACF50 goes a long way'!! One part I forgot to do was the battery area (under the seat) was going to spray a hit in there and protect the electrics a bit...you can use it there can't you??
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

I hope so because I did!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

DaytonAndy wrote:Thanks for the update Ross. I'm going to order one later...
I very much doubt you will regret it. Just remember to put it in boiling hot water for 10-15 mins - although don't shake it as it did seem to leak slightly from the spray area.