In, out or shake it all about?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.

Stay or leave the EU

Stay in the EU
33%
Leave the EU
46%
Couldn't give a toss
21%

Total votes: 24

dogbot
Your Bike:

Re: In, out or shake it all about?

Post by dogbot »

Probably, very true. In general.

I suspect that a lot of our generation (ie, the one with kids now of school age) compare and contrast to when we were at school. Human nature.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Which one you dating? (giggle)
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

You joke, but my ex did own a union jack dress.

She wanted to be Geri Halliwell*, I think. :(

*But she looked more like Posh, tbh.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

dogbot wrote:You joke, but my ex did own a union jack dress.

She wanted to be Geri Halliwell*, I think. :(

*But she looked more like Posh, tbh.
(ttiwwp)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

Not a **** chance.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:its a normal school in the middle of brum so a fair representation ,I think in general society sometimes need to lower their expectations in life
Not meant as argumentative but I don't see it as representative by looking at a single school.

My lad goes to a school very similar to your daughters and we also live in a major city. My friend is a teacher and I can tell you for every school like our kids go to there are plenty which are not as well funded or resourced and at least one secondary school has closed in our area with no replacement.
Last edited by Blade on 23 Feb 2016, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Duke and Kwacky I was hoping for some specifics tbh.

If the £55 million figure (net or gross) we give to the EU every day is accurate let's have some figures that we actually get back as UK benefit to balance the discussion fairly.

It's all well and good saying our farmers get money but is it £55 million a day ? I don't know tbh, but if we are to counter this £55 million a day argument we need to do it with facts and figures not politician type answers of we get plenty back. Genuinely not a dig guys as I'm trying to educate myself rather than argue but we need facts and figures not woolly statements.

And again another genuine question as I'm not convinced but happy to be corrected. Has being in the EU really stopped war ? Can we substantiate this again with facts so we know it's credible.

I genuinely hold my hands up I'm ignorant on this subject but want to educate myself as I would like to participate in the referendum with some degree of creditability.

None of the above is meant argumentatively but I like probably all of us would like facts not one liners if I'm to truly participate in a worthwhile referendum on the subject.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I really think thats one job I would hate to do, to be a teacher. I remember school and kids are nasty bastards, it's the group mentality that I dont like! I remember a lot of teachers resigning from our school, infect a couple got sacked. One locked a kid on the cupboard for being a twat hahahaha!! Obviously was funny at the time , now just horrible thinking how kids ruined his career. My class was one of the worst. I remember a teacher picking up a table and throwing it at us for being unorderly, smoking out the window and infect a few students just climbed out the window and bunked then the teacher got our class prefect to go and get the head master...what the teacher didn't realise was the prefect was a horrible bitch and didn't give a shot about school so when the teacher said to her to get the head master she used the time to **** about!!

Generally wouldn't wish being a teacher on anyone and if they do then really hope they go to a good school!!!
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Well there has been no war in the EU countries since the EU started but plenty on the edge of it so I think it's a fair chance the EU membership has played a big part in it.

It's impossible to quantify exact figures on EU spending and receipts as spending goes out in one go but monies coming back in don't. and in any case do you genuinely believe that if the Government was saving this £55 million on Regular basis that it would be spent on anything that benefits the people of this country? It's a very small drop in the ocean in the scheme of things.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The problem Blade is that it is incredibly difficult to quantify.

£55m a day is the gross figure. Looking simply at the money we get back that £55m drops down to £24m. But that's just in direct payments. That's not looking at trade or employment or anything else, that's simply money paid out to the EU and money paid back from the EU.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:
Perkles wrote:its a normal school in the middle of brum so a fair representation ,I think in general society sometimes need to lower their expectations in life
Not meant as argumentative but I don't see it as representative by looking at a single school.

My lad goes to a school very similar to your daughters and we also live in a major city. My friend is a teacher and I can tell you for every school like our kids go to there are plenty which are not as well funded or resourced and at least one secondary school has closed in our area with no replacement.
All im saying is our schools arent as bad as people make out in the UK ,we have good teachers and a good education system.Its probably bursting at the seams like the NHS but still produces the goods
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

https://fullfact.org/economy/our-eu-mem ... 5-million/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

I don't think £55 million is a drop in the ocean tbh Duke. It's 20 billion annually for life and yes if it was saved I would expect the government to be accountable and justify in published accounts where this money was spent. Am I wrong to hold our government to account ?

Also I would expect a goverment to be able to publish what we get fiscally from the EU now as facts and figures. I don't understand why this should not be obtainable information it's pretty basic accounting, admittedly on a large scale.

Sorry I can't agree the EU has stopped war in Europe. I'm happy to listen to credible fact and be wrong but suggesting EU memebership may have played a part is not credible fact for me. If it has great and I agree a price cannot be put on this but speculation and assumption that it has played a part is not something I personally wish to accept.

Happy to disagree and not meant as argument or wind up.

I genuinely would like people in power to present credible and accurate facts for this referendum.

Will there be any televised debates ?
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

There hasn't been an armed conflict between member states in 70 years since the EU was started.

You're welcome to dispute that if you'd like, but you'd be wrong.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:
Blade wrote:

All im saying is our schools arent as bad as people make out in the UK ,we have good teachers and a good education system.Its probably bursting at the seams like the NHS but still produces the goods
Would be interesting to see some actual national facts and figures from a credible source. Do you know if anywhere publishes such data ?
Blade

Post by Blade »

dogbot wrote:There hasn't been an armed conflict between member states in 70 years since the EU was started.

You're welcome to dispute that if you'd like, but you'd be wrong.
How do we know if the EU was not started there would have been conflict in Europe ? Surely this cannot be answered accurately therefore how can we accurately say EU membership has stopped war ?

Your welcome to dispute that if you'd like, but you'd be wrong.

All I'm suggesting is we deal in credible facts not assumptions.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Because we've been fighting each other since we picked up clubs. Look at the former Yugoslavia, the issues between Turkey and Greece, the fishing wars of the 1970s. Would Western Germany have been able to keep DDR at bay or lose the other half of Berlin had it not been backed by the armed forces of the rest of Europe?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Sorry I just don't see how a Union set up for European trade has stopped European war.

Granted Armed Forces and there backing have perhaps prevented war but how has a European Trade agreement stopped war ?

Happy to be educated on this subject and more than happy to be wrong. Genuinely not arguing I just don't see how the EU has stopped war.

Are people suggesting that if we do leave the EU we will be at war with European nations within the next 70 years ?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Anyway can't hang around any longer I need to get on with proper important matters in the man cave ;)