Cheap Custom Leathers

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Cheap Custom Leathers

Post by Kwacky »

My race leathers were £350. Full CE armour. Big brand, customer support.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

Fair enough. The jacket I wear on the R1 cost £550. IMO, some things are worth paying for.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

This is what I got: http://www.averysmotorcycles.co.uk/deta ... ather_Suit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which replaces a one piece Dainese.

My commuting gear is all top stuff.

Like you say, there's no point skimping on protection.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

I see what you mean, that's a branded suit with a good price reduction - that sort of thing, I'd definitely consider. 8)

I shouldn't have looked at the prices of the A*s RC1 now, six years on. Ouch. (lol) (lol)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

dogbot wrote:I see what you mean, that's a branded suit with a good price reduction
and it matches my hair
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

:D

I actually bought that jacket of mine the week before I got Rosa, because it matched the bike.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Kwacky wrote:a bloke on a faceboook group is selling custom made leathers and this man bought a set

These are made to measure and to your design for £310

Where to start?

Don't let the BBC see that photo otherwise they will be asking ne to do a piece of Fake Britain again ;)

What a lot of people don't realise is that 99% of leathers (branded big names) come from Sialkot in Pakistan.

The expensive brands are made at one of about 6 factories, and wen I was there a few years ago, I purchased a jacket that is identical to one sold here in the UK but wthout the branding and at that time sold for over £300 for £25. The specification was identical in every way bar the branded name. I brought a pair of gloves that sold for over £50 for £4.

Many people are unaware that you cannot copy right or patent clothing unless there is something abslutely unique, and so it is not unusual for tyhe factories to crea, off a percentage in their production run and sell them independently.

I used to be the UK importer for Harro from Germany (who also made all the German Police kit ) and gloves that I used to retail for about £35, I could buy direct from the factory for about £2 a pair, sell for £10 (and th4y were exactly the same high quality as the branded items) and still make a good profit.

It is not about the brand name (There are some brand names I would not give house space to) it is about the materials that have been used, how they have been put together and like a helmet how they fit. Oh and don't make a great play about CE accreditation as that s pretty much a joke as many firms will side step the important aspects such as for example abrasion resistance or the burst test.

I have done case studies on how the clothing behaved in a crash over a period of about 6,000 bike crashes and it os quite frightening how the kit in many of these crashes has behaved, not helped least of all because the dealers are palming people off with any rubbishrather than lose a sale, simply because they have no unerstanding of how kit is supposed to behave in a crash or its primary function.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Years ago I bought some Diesel clothing in Turkey. The guy told me that Diesel will tell them run a certain number off so a design doesn't flood the market. The factory does 1000 for diesel and 2000 for the markets. I thought it was the usual market bullshit but some of the stuff I bought from him lasted for over 10 years.

I had heard the same about leathers. If a company finishes off the item then they can claim it's made there. So if the leathers are sent to Italy and the Italian factory puts on the patches or the lining then it's done enough to say "made in Italy".
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

For me, the most alarming thing about that picture is that someone CHOSE that design. (lol)
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

Just got followed on Twitter by the makers of these beauties...

Perhaps he'll grow into them?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

and get his hair cut
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

dogbot wrote:Just got followed on Twitter by the makers of these beauties...

Perhaps he'll grow into them?
Yet they fit better than the OP ones do. Mind you that kids guts isn't anywhere near as impressive, so it would making them would be a whole lot easier.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

to be fair the rate kids grow he'll probably need a new set before the end of the year
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Must admit I really like those leathers. Prob wise to make them bigger for that kid as like Jack says he will need a new pair after a year!!
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Last night I had a bit of a play with my crashed leathers and stitched them back together with zip ties. I was surprised how little damage they sustained. I was doing 50mph ish and slid along the road for quite some time before hitting a curb. The ambulance crew cut them to pieces not sure if you can see but the damage to the leathers was on the elbow / arm ,bum area and the back of the knee were the stretch panelling was. From the accident i damaged my back from the impact on the curb and had grazing on my knee. I have just put my order in for another set.

"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I remember the paramedic saying how difficult they were to cut off and how well they had protected you. Not surprised your going for another set as they have most definitely been thoroughly tested (giggle)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Wow they took a beating
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm more surprised they didn't burst outwards (lol)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

They clearly did the job well Rocket. It's nice to know what we invest our money into does actually work, although it's not something you want to test out!!