M6 Toll up for sale

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

M6 Toll up for sale

Post by Deegee »

The banks have had enough and have decided to try and flog it, all yours for £2billion.

More here >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35553865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Re: M6 Toll up for sale

Post by DaytonAndy »

I'd rather they removed the speed limit than the toll.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Great if you can deal with the £25 million a year loss on average..
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It's a good piece of road and does cut out a lot of slow traffic. But it's not cheap.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I wonder how many individuals get very wealthy from these government schemes yet the project never pays for itself?
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

A lot I would imagine.... As for the road it is a nice route to get past all the mess, but then you hit the M6 lol.... And that road does my head in.

I noticed in my many, many trips along the toll road, the amount of unmarked police cars that trawl it :(
It's such a Boring road you end up putting your foot down regardless.

I Expect who ever buys it is likely to install average speed cameras to claw back some income on it. :(
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Ask R1ckster about putting your foot down on the Toll and unmarked cars :D
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Who would buy something that bus loosing that much money...I hate toll roads why should we have to pay when we pay enough for the crap roads in this country does my head in
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Toll roads work in Europe
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Its a different mentality about toll roads in Europe, it's a way of life if you want to get from A-B quickly with no delays, but it's a fraction of the price of the M6 toll, drop the price to a reasonable milage based cost and raise the limit to 90, but based on time from entry to exit as I've found in Europe.

Tolls for good roads are something we should have introduced years ago - when we actually had good roads that is, along with a commensurate drop in road fund licence.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Deegee wrote:Its a different mentality about toll roads in Europe, it's a way of life if you want to get from A-B quickly with no delays, but it's a fraction of the price of the M6 toll, drop the price to a reasonable milage based cost and raise the limit to 90, but based on time from entry to exit as I've found in Europe.

Tolls for good roads are something we should have introduced years ago - when we actually had good roads that is, along with a commensurate drop in road fund licence.
Whilst I agree with what you say generally, the European toll roads are now expensive and have been going up for years. The french for example have real trouble with the prices as all the toll roads are generally owned by private consortiums who can set the prices themselves.

An example. From our house in Mid France to Calais will cost £43 in tolls alone one way if we use the toll roads. Without it takes about 2hrs longer. (7hrs with tolls)

We don't travel to and from Calais for many reasons but that is one of them.

One thing that Europe has over the uk is much less traffic so the dual carriageways are pretty good if you choose no tolls. Toll roads in the uk would work if they were priced correctly, but it would push even more traffic off the motorways leaving even more bottlenecks.

Sadly the only way to reduce traffic in the uk is to make it more expensive but that's not fair to the poor I guess.

The biggest issue in the uk is the lack of long term strategy.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

You have to wonder how long it will be before the Conservatives start applying toll charges to our motorway system.? I suspect they will promote it under the guise of harmonising with Europe & "recouping costs" from foreign road users.
Installing & manning toll booths, together with their inherent traffic delays have historically been issues. However with ANPR cameras it can cost virtually nothing to set up now. If I was cynical I would even consider that the proliferation of "traffic monitoring" cameras in recent years was a pre-cursor.?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They have a charging system in parts of London, there's no reason why other cities can't follow.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

In Sydney we have wireless tags and no toll booths at all. If you are visiting you have up to 48 hrs after using a toll road to ring up and sort payment as they all have plate matching cameras on them. My tag does auto top up from my account. No fuss at all.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

kiwikrasher wrote:In Sydney we have wireless tags and no toll booths at all. If you are visiting you have up to 48 hrs after using a toll road to ring up and sort payment as they all have plate matching cameras on them. My tag does auto top up from my account. No fuss at all.
Isn't that how the Dartford crossing works now?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I do a thousand miles per week if they start putting tolls on more roads in the uk it will kill my job
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Same here mate, but life goes on :( A call into central London for me needs to yield business..lol... Congestion charge then the outrageous parking fees, all using a credit card now days as it so expensive.
People say use the train, yeah great if its all running, but I take a lot of different things with me, and see different companies all on the same day all over London, its the only practical option. Plus I hate the tubes and trains always a pain.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

It would be good if the toll charged different amounts for what you actually use. I'd consider jumping on for one junction everyday if it was priced ok. But not going to pay the full amount to use a fraction of it.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

I'll take 3 of them.