Suspension - reading between the bu!!sh!t

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Suspension - reading between the bu!!sh!t

Post by Kwacky »

Good question. The honest answer is that I know the rear needs a refresh, so I may as well have the spring and revalve done. It's not expensive so I'm prepared to have it done to see if I benefit from it.

The stock suspension is stiff at the rear. I can get bounced around on the road which makes me back off. The guy at Parkitt adjusted it which improved things but he reckons they're not designed for the road as well as the zx6r models either side of it.

If you read racing forums people have struggled with the current zx6r because kwak toned the suspension down. Money has to be spent getting the new model sorted. By all accounts the model Cav and I have got is the best track weapon ZX6R in terms of handling.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Interested to hear how you get on and hope it's a good improvement and your happy.

When do you plan to get it done out of interest ?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Dunno mate. Family life is all I'm concentrating on at present. I was going to drop the Kwak off at Perkles over Christmas but other events took over.

All being well it should be done March or April.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:So how do you know they work if you don't understand what's going on ?

What you think is the best is only the best you know (happy) doesn't mean there isn't better
Blade I am the same as you, I like to know how and why. I don't know if this has been a by product of my type of work or why I ended up in this type of work or a bit of both.

But having been a trainer in a number of different roles as well, I have learnt that not everyone is the same. It took me a long time to accept not everyone wants to know the how and why. To be honest it can still frustrate me, as in my experience it's the easiest way to learn a system, but there are a number of ways different people learn. You can still be quite knowledgeable on a system by just learning cause and effect. Suspension has this symptom, adjust "A" and it gets better. You don't HAVE to know what goes on inside, but SOME of us like too.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Of course not. You need duct tape, WD-40 and glue in your tool box too!

Blade

Post by Blade »

Tbh kiwi I actually meant what you said I just worded it badly. I didn't mean have a detailed knowledge of how it all works more as you put it "Suspension has this symptom, adjust "A" and it gets better." ;)
Blade

Post by Blade »

C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blade wrote:Image
Oh god I want that toolbox now I've seen that :(
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

kiwikrasher wrote:Of course not. You need duct tape, WD-40 and glue in your tool box too!

How could you miss Zip ties !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they hold the world together
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

rocket wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:Of course not. You need duct tape, WD-40 and glue in your tool box too!

How could you miss Zip ties !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they hold the world together
Take my man card off me, such a fail (facepalm)

(lol) (lol) (lol)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Please understand this - I don't believe I am a guru and I certainly don't believe that I am any more knowledgeable than anyone in here. I like to learn about as many things as I can in as much detail as I can. I also like to share my new found knowledge but understand that the vast majority of people who read it have no interest or have a differing opinion. It's a part of life I'm well accustomed to! :P

Kwacky is right, our model of ZX6R is the most track-ready Kawasaki ever made. However, it's still a compromise between track and road and therefore, to get the most out of it, you should revalve it.

The main point about my original post is that it doesn't matter if you have the wrong spring, you can valve it to get the same stroke effect and near-identical feel.

I weigh 82kg without gear which means I need 1 grade firmer spring than standard, however, as my spring is in good condition I will not change the spring for the 'correct' one, instead I will get the valving done to get the suspension working as it should for my weight (firmer compression and lighter rebound). If I was lighter than the stock spring is designed for then I would have the opposite done.

I will be playing with the adjusters before and at my first trackday this year. I'll set my sag then start with the front. It'll take a day really but it's not the end of the world :)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

one thing you will notice straight away once your shock is revalved is better and more even tyre wear,it will also be easier to adjust closer to how you want it
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Exactly what I'm hoping for !!

Im' also hoping that a click does something! haha.. rebound is shot, literally no adjustment after a session on track. I'm assuming it overheats either through lack of nitrogen in the reservoir or old sludgy oil
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

This is literally what our engineers in our department do!!