Open Pit lane

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Open Pit lane

Post by Rossgo »

D6Nutz wrote:Cheers kwacky. I'd be interested to hear what turns up.

@rossgo BBS track days are awesome, I can't recommend the highly enough. I plan on doing about trip with then in 2017, can afford to next year unfortunately. Worth catching up with Frankie and kingfixer as they are both BBS obsessed ;)
That's the one Nutz. I know they book up quick as they have their regulars that go but it's the price that gets me as for the money me and my partner could go away...unsure if I would be allowed to get away by myself again haha!!
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Take her with you, in fairness the prices are for top notch service and track time. Food is laid on, breakfast and evening meals are all part of the deal. Unless you want to go out and eat.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

That's what I did ,took my Mrs to almeria with me
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Frankie wrote:Take her with you, in fairness the prices are for top notch service and track time. Food is laid on, breakfast and evening meals are all part of the deal. Unless you want to go out and eat.
^^ this

Apparently there is a lot of stuff to do near some of the tracks the go to. A but of sweet taking and you could turn it into an amazing track day and holiday to boot ;)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Perkles wrote:That's what I did ,took my Mrs to almeria with me
If it's warm and she's got somewhere to drink gin, she's happy.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Now you have me thinking! I could ask, where's the harm in that. Think that could be a great little holiday actually haha!!
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

If you don't tell, sorry I mean ask ;) you won't know the answer or her thinking.
Almeria we stay in Mojaca which has beach, old town, new town, shops, culture lots to do, or even watch motorbikes.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Frankie is spot on Rossgo. You need to book it and then tell her the wonderful surprise you have arranged for her.

I'm sure she would g9 for it but if not always better to ask for forgiveness than approval in thsee situations ;)
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Kwacky wrote:
Perkles wrote:That's what I did ,took my Mrs to almeria with me
If it's warm and she's got somewhere to drink gin, she's happy.
Tbh, I'd be happy too..... (giggle)
Blade

Post by Blade »

RIde in the day, drink gin at night. Win win perfect holiday.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Rossgo I would think a normal trackday would be better for your first rather than open pit? If you were on a normal day you would be in a group with riders of similar speeds and abilities. An open pit day could see you being carved up by fast group, racers etc. On a normal trackday you will have say six or seven 20 minute sessions in a group of similar abilities to you and as Perkles says, you can go out or stay in as you please in your session and there is no pressure.
Blade

Post by Blade »

They also do novice only days and occasionally you see road bike only days.

Don't think novice as slow it's not, it is best described as first time track rider.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Just come on a Mallory day we will look after you and show you the lines etc
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I totally agree with the others, whilst I have enjoyed the extra time afforded by OPL days, I am not generally bothered when I get carved up by the fast lads. This will happen at OPL days.
A normal day, and put yourself in novices would be my best advice.: Your AIM training will mean you are a better rider than most on track, but conversely may actually act against you on track as you need to "switch off" all the hazard awareness that they have been drilling into you all this time. You'll probably find that will take quite an effort, and that target fixation may well be a bit of an issue to start with. A cheap basic day of 20 min sessions, & just taking your own time riding with others who aren't trying to be a new Rossi.
Actually Rossgo, you may want to seriously consider doing one of the the Black & White Bikes novice trackdays. They're new & keen, and have had very positive feedback so far, although I would still suggest you do a cheap one first to get the mindset sorted & make sure it appeals to you first.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers guys all great advice. I've wanted to get out on track so much but habent managed it yet!!

St Marks I was talking to another IAM Associate last week at one our our ride outs and he did his first ever track day and said it was tough to turn off from the road head! But he did say going into the noive group did teach him an aweful lot.

Our IAM group do run track days maybe 2 or 3 times a year (can't remember how many) but apparently they do teach you the ropes. May get myself booked onto their track day first before getting into anything else.

May try pushing for track next year. Part of me is worried because I don't want to cut up anyone or vise versa either. Could end up badly.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

That's easy either start right at the back or right at the front,you get no traffic that way
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Perkles wrote:That's easy either start right at the back or right at the front,you get no traffic that way
Top tip (IMO anyway).: Always get out at the front of the pack, right behind the instructor/TDO rider for the sighting lap. Then sit right on his tail, following his lines to the inch.
Never ever (especially in a novice group at a track you have never ridden before) ride at the back or even mid pack. The only person in your group who knows the track & where to be on it is him. The rest is like Chinese whispers in trackday form.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Some great advice but for me Rossgo don't think about it too much or concern yourself with too much technical information for your first excursion on track.

Just turn up, don't expect too much from yourself and just relax and have fun. All too easy to get stressed out and miss the reason yiur their to have Fun.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers Blade. Definitely want to have fun when I finally get out on track without the worry of the old bill sitting around the corner!!
Blade

Post by Blade »

For me the key to enjoying a track day is relaxing and remembering your there to have fun and not set a pb blistering lap time.

I realise that is some peoples aim and not knocking it, it's just not my motivation to go on track.

If I'm getting my knee down and having fun in the corners I'm a happy chappy and not bothered about lap times.